1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

790 new home of rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by teebone21, Nov 20, 2012.

1. RX2012

RX2012 Member

yeah, good to have an idiot assume i work at 790.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The 3 major Sports leagues in the USA (MLB,NBA,NFL) are the best leagues in the WORLD. MLS is nice and all ( I love soccer) but its product is just not on par with the other leagues. It's closer to the WNBA frankly.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

790 is much better about covering the ROX than 610 has ever been. Matt & Adam talk about the Rockets a fair amount.

You have to realize though that right now...

1) The Rockets are playing poorly
    2) The majority of Houston can't watch the Rockets
    3) People who can't watch games aren't likely to call in
    4) The Texans are one of if not the best teams in the NFL right now
    5) The Texans are playing a big game on Thanksgiving
    6) Basketball is the 3rd most popular sport to begin with

It's hard to talk a lot about the Rockets when 60% of Houston can't even watch them.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Rockets season has started? Really? Did not know, haven't seen a game??

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Honestly this one is simple, radio talk shows are driven by the listeners and discussions about games/seasons.

Fact is, a large % of the fan base can't watch the Rockets, so you won't get many fans calling in to talk about a game they did not see. Most of the radio hosts themselves can't watch the game, i've heard Lance talk about having to try and catch highlights of games on NBA TV to try and have something he has seen to actually talk about. When the team is out of sight, there honestly isn't a lot to talk about

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

if you think 610 was better at anything rockets related, you clearly weren't listening to the stations. 610 spends more time on the Texans than any other station by far. Probably a factor in their decision to move to 790.

Also, Craig Ackerman isn't bad, people just don't like change. Where are you going to find another Gene Peterson? You won't.

7. conquistador#11

here is a run down on what to expect....
    610 has:
    6-10am: chupacabra jajaja jajaja jajaja blah blah jaja jaja(continued by more laughing) go spurs!
    2-5pm J&R :those clutchfans are all homers, i hate them! let me go reedz what they wrotez!
    5-8 pm: Texans live. by far best nfl show in houston. Marky V, nick, seth payne, among others break down the nfl week

790:
    6-10 am: 49er matt avoiding to talk texans, while his partner craves aaron rodgers saliva. Hey let's talk Alabama football when the houston texans are the best in the nfl!

10 am-12: though I'm not a fan of uncle greg, N.D makes up for it. Really good nfl show. college football kept to a minimal.

12-3pm : Matt thomas mood music hours. huge basketball fan and will talk rockets. I like him.

3-7pm- They cover all. even if it's a lame topic like conference realignment lance makes it entertaining. ( they have mctalky's show on tuesdays)

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I once walked into a comic bookstore in the 90's. A guy was in there complaining to the owner about UPN cutting into Babylon 5 to show Rockets games. He was upset and wanted to petition the network to stop showing Rockets games during Babylon 5......

I laughed my ass off at how serious the guy was. He genuinely thought showing the Rockets over Babylon 5 was some sort of crime and that everyone surely had to agree.

This is that my friend... except in reverse. If you think anyone is going to cut into Texans talk or even BCS talk to focus on the Rockets you need a wake up call.

"But doctor, I am Pagliacci" - My friend, the Rockets are Babylon 5... if you want to discuss Rockets this is where you get your fix, clutchfans.net - the comic store.

9. Indaface

Indaface Member

While I agree with you about MLS not being of the best quality, comparing it to the WNBA is ridiculous.

It's more like College Basketball compared to the NBA. It might not be the best quality in the world, but there are still some quality players scattered around the league.

The level of play has improved with each year. Plus the atmosphere at a game destroys any Rockets game I've been to since the 2009 Lakers series.

10. JimmyJackson

JimmyJackson Member

I love 790 but I absolutely can't stand Adam Wexler, he seems to talk A LOT to the point where it looks like he just loves to hear himself talk. Even in interviews, his questions are so long that it takes time for the interviewee to remember the actual question.

Thoughts?

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Ackerman is pretty strong. Agreed completely.

12. macho87

macho87 Member

610 sucks and most of 790 sucks.

13. macho87

macho87 Member

He sounds like a know it all little prick. And his co host, Matt, is just bad, annoying jay leno voice and stupid takes.
    610's morning show is the worst. That Nick Wright guy's annoying voice and lopez laughing is the last thing I wanna hear that early.

14. Indaface

Indaface Member

I hardly listen to morning radio but I agree with both of ya'll 610 and 790 both blow in the morning.

I listen to 790 when they have Morey and Friedman on to talk Rockets. Other than that I can't handle it for too long.

Now In the Trenches/Charlie Lance is a different story that's quality radio.

610 is unlistenable. Wright sounds like a nasally girl and Lopez is irritating.

15. sergio

sergio Member

Interesting fact I read online is the MLS passed up the NBA as third most attended American sport. I'd post link to article but I'm on my phone.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Their shows are too unorganized for me. I guess that's what you get with caller driven shows, but they jump all over the place within one segment. It should be NFL segment, college football segment, more NFL, basketball, etc. I end up just turning the app off because it gets annoying to listen to. 790 is the only Houston sports station I will listen to though. Other than 610 after Texans games.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If 790 gives the Rockets 10 minutes of air-time out of 4 hours, then it's 10m more than 610 is giving them. 610 is pretty much playing scorned ex-girlfriend to the Rockets right now and throwing all its attention on its new sugardaddy, the Texans. Well...the Texans or celebrity birthdays.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

And if ya'll don't know about MJ and Wex's postgame shows for the Rockets in the late-90's, those to me were my favorite Rockets radio shows ever. I will always be a Matt and Adam fan because of those days.