1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Member

I touched on this earlier, but it bears repeating... they're by far the hardest-working hosts in this market. Games, practices, community events... I've seen them at those types of things more than any other host, and it's not even that close. Even if it's an "off day" on the weekend, or if it's a late night with a show starting at 6 a.m., they're there. Shows where 790's priorities are.

2. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

This Sucks! I only listen to 790.

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

610 has an opportunity to get some talent back.

Pair Rich Lord with Matt Jackson.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

Feel for those guys, but can't say I'm overly surprised. I was tuning them out regularly for awhile now. For the same reason Lance didn't seem to enjoy his stint being with those guys (more specifically MJ) is the same I tuned them out. Hope they land on their feet but not a lot of options out there right now, seems they burned some bridges in 610 when they left.

Conspiracy theory inside me says Lance wanted an AM slot again, but didn't like his options when he first came to 790. So he bided his time with CP until something opened up. So now he goes up against his new arch rival Nick Wright and they can duke it out morning show y morning show. I think AC will basically be the sidekick.

5. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Jay Mohr? Thats what they counter with? That no talent hack?

At least i know when to tune out.

6. wreck

wreck Member

This totally sucks. I wont get to listen to Matt Thomas since most of my radio listening time is done during noon.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whether it's ratings, money or an incident of some sort, I hate this decision. Where these two guys excel is with the Rockets. No radio host in this town loves the Rockets any more than Mattj. He wasn't ashamed to admit they were his favorite home team. Where this will bite AM790 is after the NFL season ends when the Rockets take center stage.

IMO, In The Trenches slogged through the summer much worse than Matt and Adam. I liked Koch and Kalu during last season but they really lost me the last 4-5 months. It's gonna take some time for them to win me back (if they can).

If Mattj takes over for Josh Innes it would be a grand slam home run for AM610.

I like Lance and he's great for the Texans and NFL. No argument there. He's also big on the Rockets but he's just not Mattj. AC hasn't been the same since he went to 790. Liked him a lot at 610 back in the day but something is different now. Maybe playing sidekick off of Lance will help him.

My respect for AM790 is diminished and my respect for AM610 would explode if Mattj bumped Innes off the air.

I don't know who this Jay Mohr guy is but I have no interest in listening to national sports radio during the day. At all. If he's anything like Jim Rome 790 really impaled themselves.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chron post

Adam Wexler and Matt Jackson, who have co-hosted KBME‘s (790 AM) morning talk show since 2009, have been dismissed by the Clear Channel-owned station and will be replaced in morning drive by Lance Zierlein and Adam Clanton.

The change, which was announced by Bryan Erickson, Clear Channel Houston’s director of AM programming, in a memo to advertisers, is effective Monday and is part of a drastic shift in the station’s weekday lineup.

The most drastic change, aside from the dismissal of Wexler and Jackson, is the insertion of Jay Mohr’s syndicated Fox Sports Radio show from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., breaking up what had been an all-local lineup from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Zierlein, who most recently has worked afternoon drive with Charlie Pallilo, worked mornings with Wexler and Jackson from August 2011 through September 2012, will now be paired in the morning with Clanton, the former KPRC (Channel 2) and KILT (610 AM) host who joined the station in March to work an evening shift.

Former NFL linemen Greg Koch and N.D. Kalu will now work from 9 to 11 a.m., followed by the Mohr show. Midday host Matt Thomas will now work from 2 to 4 p.m., and Pallilo will return to hosting a solo show from 4 to 7 p.m.

Jackson and Wexler were not immediately available for comment, and Eddie Martiny, general manager of Clear Channel Houston, did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the changes.

The website Inside Music Media has reported that Clear Channel will lay off 624 employees nationwide. The website Inside Radio reported that cuts will hit hardest in the programming department, focusing on program directors, music directors and air staff.

9. wreck

wreck Member

The under rated move that is really pissing me off is that Matt thomas is moving 2-4. that means so one will be able to listen to him. After all this has sunki in...all i can say is KBME you f-ing suck!!!

I have no hesitation now changing to 610 for the noon show So take that 790. . the only thing stopping me from turining the dial was SportsMT show.

10. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

He's the actor/comedian who filled in on the Rome show from time to time and was 10x more listenable, imo. I've heard him several times since he got his own show and he's been very entertaining. He funny with a passion for sports.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

Man this really sucks. I thought these guys did a great job for the city of Houston. I had a lot of respect for Mattj. I had conducted an interview with him for a college project a few years back. Not many people in the media are willing to do that for people.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Happy to see Adam and LZ.in the morning, but still pissed.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

And I was already mildly annoyed with 790 picking up the Rockets and Astros. Most of the time I'd rather listen to MT or Charlie rather than the actual game. Leave the games on other channels I don't listen to.

Don't really have an issue with LZ in the morning, but there's no reason to listen eleven to two anymore.

14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

Yeah I'm mad about this too. I am never free/driving somewhere at that time!! I enjoyed listening to MT at lunch, hell I even liked Ross! This sucksssssss

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

I guess Clutchfans are the only people who listen to 790 because their ratings had started to hit rock bottom recently. Seems like everyone here listens to 790 and is upset in some form or fashion.

Adam and Matt have long been Rockets supporters/homers so it's a shame they won't be on the flagship while the Rockets have a chance to be great. Also will miss their interviews with Morey because those were always great. Morey had good chemistry with them.

Yea MT's show isn't the most analytical but he just has a good time doing it and as a listener you enjoy listening to it.

16. Blake

Blake Member

Damn. That was my favorite morning show. I am a huge fan of Wex and MJ. And to add insult to injury, you move Matt Thomas to a time I can't listen to him and replace him with Bob effing Sugar...the 90s retread????

Best of luck to the both of them.

Oh, and Josh Innes sucks monkey balls

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

I loved Matt and Adam in the morningblows. They were the only ones who genuinely talked basketball with knowledge and passion for the rockets.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

This sucks ass. What the hell am I going to listen to now on my drive to work?? In the Trenches? Are you kidding me? Guess I'll start making better use of the XM sub I pay for.

Who ever thought Matt and Adam would get fired before Josh freaking Innes?

Hey, 790, if you really wanted a national show that bad, you should've just let Clanton do his own show entirely as Jim Rome.

19. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Where do we start the "Replace Josh Innes with Matt Jackson" petition?

Josh's contract is up in November. Just 3 more months!

Matt & Rich! The new drive-time players!

20. Kam

Kam Member

Didn't Matt and Rich not work too well together?