1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I think Vandy left a while back to focus on Texans relations. I read it though since I haven't tuned into 610 in years.

2. Nick

Nick Member

thought he still had a segment though... maybe it restarts around football season.

3. Dubious

Dubious Member

I guess I'm not the general public because everything I think is crap gets great ratings and everything I love gets put in the dumper. I don't see how anybody listens to 610 for sports. And, you can't "listen" to 1560 in the car without getting a static headache.

I did know Lance and Charlie were wasted together because Charlie can easily carry his own show and has a different sensibility from Lance. And Lance can carry a team show with a lesser talent sidekick.

If you have to be out and about, listening to over the air radio mid-day in Houston, try KPFT 90.1, Wide Open Spaces from 10-1. Roark does at least play good music like an old FM format.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Mike and Mike sucks.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jay Mohr??? What Jim Rome was unavailable?

Rocket River
    Why get the imitation when the original is available
    not that I am feeling either of them these days

6. DieHard Rocket

I like Mike and Mike during football season, on Monday's particularly. But can't really listen to them otherwise.

Will prob listen to LZ during football season and go back to no AM sportstalk (like pre Matt/Adam on 790) after that.

7. Uprising

Uprising Member

I've heard him a few times while listening, Texans Huddle or something like that.

I typically listen to 610 during the Mad Radio segment. Seth Payne drops Clutchfans references pretty often.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Amen.

Matt and Adam were really plugged into the Houston sports scene and are HUGE local sports fans. Their passion came through and that is why they were better than most the garbage out there like Mike & Mike, etc. I really hope they are picked up again.

9. The Summit

The Summit Member

This sucks, I liked their show quite a bit (though it could be stale at times). What sucks worse is them going to a national show for 3 hours during the day. Adam Clanton and Lance has a chance to be a good show, I'll give it a shot since 610 is total garbage and I don't like ESPN radio.

I wish Houston had a similar version of 1310 The Ticket in Dallas, I can't stand Dallas or their teams but that is one awesome station. They very rarely take calls (which is nice), and their hosts are funny, knowledgeable and entertaining. As a result their ratings dominate the market, to the point that they get a higher rating (according to David Barron of the Chronicle) then all 4 Houston sports stations combined. I wish someone in Houston would try to model that format.

10. Nook

Nook Member

They would be a disaster getting out of the Houston market. Part of what makes them good is their passion for Houston sports. Yes, they are biased, but they have never had a problem pointing out when a local team sucks or players are doing poorly.

11. bumbum09

bumbum09 Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you can get them on your Podcasts??

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If 790's number jump during Rockets season it will an even bigger slap in the face

13. Nick

Nick Member

Agreed... again, I have no problem with that.

I just think it helps them to become more well-rounded broadcasters. It also allows them to improve upon deficiencies that they will never see or hear about while they're in the comfort of the local sports scene they grew up in. Again, I don't think either has worked in another market ever.

They're the prototypical fans doing their own show... I'm not saying to repress that completely, but I feel they're missing some broadcasting expertise.

Ideally, I'd like all our local guys to be able to handle themselves in any sort of gig, whether its local, regional, or national. Vandameer, Matt Thomas, Palillo all seem very comfortable in the local scene, but they also would have no problems carrying a show about anything in any market.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Wexler was just horrible. He always acts as if if Matt is a moron for having a different opinion. Adem Wexler always came off as a real douche IMO.

Matt was ok.

The format sucked. Houston sports radio as a whole needs to go far far away from caller driven radio and actually start doing real radio shows.

15. Kam

Kam Member

Is this a Michael berry decision?

I'm voting from democratic from now on.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Mike and Mike only suck because they rarely talk about local Houston sports. Their format is very good which is why there numbers are so good. They compliment each other very well. I personally don't listen to them a lot because I prefer to hear radio talk about the sports teams I'm interested in which would be the Astros & Rockets.

Their numbers are not good in Dallas because the local non-syndicated shows do not do caller driven radio, they do actual radio shows. I think Matt Jackson would excel getting away from caller driven radio and follow a stricter format. He is enjoyable to listen to, probably one of the better radio personalities in Houston, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  17. SC1211

SC1211 Member

Any word on what happened?

18. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

Matt and Adam are some of the hardest working hosts in radio. They actually found time to attend many of the games and teams practices they talked about, not just watch it on tv or read it in the Chron. Major props to them also for doing a late night of Rockets postgame shows and having to turn around and wake up for their 6am show.

I am a huge fan of Jay Mohr and am glad to see him in the market, just not at the expense of those two.

19. SuraGotMadHops

I miss the good ol' Sports radio with John, Jazz, and Stephen Tang. They were Mutombo's favorite crew.:grin:

20. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Member

Bad move 790.