1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I like that test and agree with it... problem is - Clanton won't have a beer with you because he doesn't drink.

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I dunno I mean I liked those guys

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Matt and Adam did not move to 790 when it first started up. 790 had that terrible morning show with Dukes and Davies for quite a while before Matt and Adam joined.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'll buy him a Fresca.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Aren't these the guys who do good interviews with the Rockets or is that 1560? That's the only time I listen to AM. Sucks if we lose that now.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yes. They were really the only guys in town that talked Rockets.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Im surprised, but eY were e worst show on 790 IMO (which is stil better than anything from 610).

I'm glad lance is getting a new partner, that way I can still listen to him and don't have to bother with Charlie anymore (who I can't stand). Lance and Clinton should be a good show.

It sucks that the jay mohr show was added, they should just give the extra time to Matt Thomas, he is e king of houston radio right now

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorry, but I disagree. 790 was not "new" by the time they came over. People had already acknowledged that Charlies show was superior to whatever 610 had on in the afternoon at the time. If anybody took the huge risk, it was the guy who came to the brand new station and was the only local programming on it (CP).

That being said, they did what they've always done... work their asses off, cover the local sports scene as well as they could, and work in their own childhood/adult interests when there was nothing else to talk about. Unfortunately, it seems that the station feels the content is what kept the ratings from being where it should be, so they're gone.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The thing is, numbers can lie (or at the least be very misleading).

Not all listeners are created equal. There's a difference between a passive, whimsical 20-year-old and an engaged adult. Many of the folks I know that regularly listen to Wright/Innes, or the national ESPN shows... they're not even particularly passionate about Houston teams or the Houston community. They want to talk about Tebow, LeBron, Kobe, hot girls, pop culture and whatever other inane topics get brought up on First Take. On the other hand, the Matt and Adam crowd is mostly made up of folks like us... diehard lovers of all things Houston.

When it comes to advertisers, the majority of which are local, those two groups aren't created equal. But radio bigwigs are too lazy to try and actually conduct research and change how the conversation is framed... they'd rather go for the band-aid fix to give a quick boost to their "traditional number", content be damned. It's a shame, because 790 was bucking the trend for a while.

1 person likes this.
  10. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea its a shame Matt and Adam couldn't talk about jerking off and watching p*rn more or else they would lead the ratings like the guys on 610

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree, and I'm aware.

I don't think Charlie wins his time slot, but the content is far better than whatever is on 610... but I think he's got too much clout to be let go. What's annoying is that once basketball starts, he'll be off the air an hour earlier, and his show is already an hour shorter.

Matt Thomas' show is really well done, IMO. He'll get more listeners at the later time slot.

I do think M/A were the best thing that was on in the morning... but I didn't think their content or their overall presentation was better than the above two. Change of scene may lead to improvement.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I listened to Matt and Adam, but it's no big loss. They seemed liked nice guys, but I didn't think they were all that knowledgeable or talented. They seemed like the Sklar brothers minus the humor. Lance in much much better.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lance just did a Hakeem impression that cracked me up... normally his voices are dumb, but that was good.

He needs to do more uncle drayton in terms of making fun of the current Astros.

14. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

If you believe the rumor mill, the only risk Charlie took was knocking boots with his producer in the sack. Which pretty much forced his exit to 790. 790 was no great shakes when M&A arrived. My friends and I jokingly called it "that station Palilo is on now". Once they arrived, it seemed like it became more of an actual competitor to 610.

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

It's kinda crazy how today they were talking about the Riley Cooper incident and Matt would refer to him losing his job if he ever said the N-word on radio. Sure nuff if it was last episode.

Could there be a chance that they got let go because of all the times "cracker" and "honkey" were said this morning? I know a few callers mentioned those words. I mean is it possible someone was enraged about that and called to complain?

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No...

17. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its still a risk, regardless of the circumcstances. Charlie had enough of a resume to the point where he woudln't have had to stay in Houston and go to an unproven station. He chose to stay, and sat out the required time on his non-compete.

Again, the M/A situation is unfortunate... but it doesn't shock me as much as it does some of you... and I've been listening to sports radio here since before there was morning shows.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Breh, that's what this whole thread is about. Puff puff pass.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even when the Rockets were still on 610, most people here followed the better content. That includes Matt/Adam, Charlie, Lance... and excludes Rich Lord, John Lopez. Only person on 610 I like is Vandy, but I don't even know when he's on now.