1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That stinks! Even I occasionally tuned in to them when there was lots of rockets stuff going on!

Well, all I can say is I feel their pain. I find myself in a similar situation. On to bigger and better things guys!

2. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Apparently Matt Jackson posted this on another Houston BBS yesterday afternoon, no hint of getting fired:

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Damn. Don't know what to say. I thought 790 was committed to what they had going, but ratings (and Clearchannel) dictate everything I guess. Rough business.

Matt just came back from vacation earlier this week so I doubt they saw this coming.

I listen to portions just about every morning but I will admit that they have become less entertaining for me since Lance went to PM (suppose a lot has to do with the CSN situation and my lack of interest in Astros). Actually like the show better when Clanton is with one of Matt/Adam.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Heard him last week when he filled in for Charlie/Lance... wasn't that impressed. He basically said "I don't know how the Texans season is going to turn out... it could be good, it could be bad... we'll see." (Thanks for that awesome insight).

Once football season hits, they need to milk it for all its worth because that's going to be what people want to call in and talk about... and the last thing I'd want to hear from the host is an uneducated cop-out response.

5. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

I usually listen to the Big Show in the mornings if I listen to Sportstalk, but most of the time it's pointless because they don't discuss sports. They spent waaaaay too much time on entertainment stuff or Guilty Pleasure Songs and whatnot. I really liked it when Lance was on there though, he usually had useful information about the Texans and other NFL teams. I hope he's coming to the morning show.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be funny if Matt's obsession over Sharknado brought this on... I'll admit I turned them off that day when I heard nothing else.

I agree with him that the summer gets stale since theres very few actual games to talk about... but that doesn't automatically mean lets talk about what I watched on TV last night. Or lets talk about 80's pro wrestling. That doesn't hold audiences. If the Astros were good, theres enough baseball fans (even enough with CSN access) interested to keep things going... the Astros being bad (not just the CSN situation) kills that.

I've enjoyed Matt Thomas and Lance bringing in a ton of outside market guests recently to get their perspectives on all Houston sports (from Dwight/Rockets, to the Astros rebuild, to the Texans upcoming season). Those guys have the same content issues to deal with as Matt/Adam... yet I'm less bored and usually more entertained by what they bring up. Guess they have more callers usually to in the afternoon (vs the early morning), but we all know that most of the callers into Houston radio aren't going to carry the show.

#26 Nick, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sucks.

I was wondering where their show page/podcasts went. Hope they land on their feet elsewhere.

#27 J.R., Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

If I'm Josh Innes, I'm about to shart my size 44 pants.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why is the article in the OP calling it the "Jones and Wexler" show? Is that a very, poorly edited typo?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The things in bold are why I didn't fall in love with the show. I hate hearing about pee-pee games like Sharknado or some guilty pleasure song that's terrible. And I get that the average guy doesn't want to hear about analytical sports stuff but the average AM sports radio listener probably does. I know I do. I don't want to hear about Miss Utah man, sorry.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

this sucks. Both guys rock and I enjoyed the show.

does it get stale at times? yes, so did John and Lance - Charlie and Lance - Charlie and Rich - go on and on and on

agree with matt's take that the summers get boring - csn is hurting enthusiasm and basically, they got fired in the lull.

Both will land on their feet though. Hell - maybe 1560 can get rejuvenated with some additional talent.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The other hosts (Matt T, Lance, Charlie) seem to have a better grasp of balancing sports and other stuff... but still tying it back to sports. I'd say it comes with experience... but then again, Matt/Adam have been doing this for some time now. Guess the station felt they were about as good as they were ever going to be.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The other shows, including the ones on other stations, find a way to get past the lull/staleness without resorting to gimmicks... but yes, it does suck for these guys since I know they're both really into Houston sports.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I feel like someone kicked me square in the balls twice.

15. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Matt Thomas' show has the least amount of sports talk in the entire market. Lance is pretty much useless outside of football season, and the rest of his schtick is voices and other nonsense. If you think Matt and Adam are weak on sports, you should really dislike those two as well.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Hate to hear this, but in a perfect world 610 will fire Innes and bring on Matt and/or Adam asap.

I would almost always listen to them in the mornings, and I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I'm sad to see them go.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If they land on 610. That's cool of they get in the mornings. Get rid of lopez and wright

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Love Matt T - but his way against getting around the stale is a gimmick. He starts spouting off topics that have been ran into the ground for years and says he's taking all calls.

Lance goes gimmicky with his guest hosts the moment charlie steps out of the room and makes up characters to push through stale times

Pretty boy AC just brings on a slew of women (that no one can see other than him - it's radio dumbass) to cover the lulls - has no valid take on baseball - and really talks way to much smack about past workers for my taste. I get it, you didn't like randy mclvoy. hope he's never your boss again because he knows it too - as does the rest of the world.

charlie is the least gimmicky of all, but when it's slow - he gets stale too. And the dead air schtick wears on me. I actually liked him being paired with Lance because it made lance act more adult and charlie more human.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, those shows last week or the week before were brutal. The morning that they decided to talk about wrestling really sticks out. I never change my radio dial from the simulcast on 93.7-HD2, but I did that morning.

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yeah but Matt Thomas's show is awesome.

Lance knows his Rockets and NBA very well