1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7 Homicides in One Day In Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

At some point in the mid-00's, my movie going strategy was to look for the one or two titles I hadn't seen any news stories, trailers or internet threads about, and just go in cold turkey in the hopes of seeing some good indie catches like Jindabyne, Hunger or We Need to Talk About Kevin in a less than crowded theater. That and $20 at AMC Dunvale would get you a small popcorn and 120 minutes of gun fu at a Holi parade, in between nagging auntie or mommy skits.

CometsWin and tinman like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston woke up feeling dangerous!

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...hootings-reported-within-24-hours-in-houston/

Between Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 17 people including four teenagers were shot in Houston, the most of any weekend this year and part of a growing trend of violence in the city.

“We haven’t seen this kind of violence, since the late 80s and early 90s when crack first hit the streets here in Houston,” said Doug Griffith, the president of the Houston Police Officers Union.

Mayor Sylvester Turner began his Monday press conference addressing the shootings, instead of COVID-19, calling his administration’s commitment to reducing crime “our top priority.”

“We cannot blame everything on the pandemic in Houston,” Turner said. “We have a situation that we need to address in our city.”

Of the 17 people shot over the weekend, six did not survive their injuries. Most of the other victims are recovering at local hospitals.

“The problem is we’re not keeping these kids or adults locked up,” Griffith said. “They get repeat bonds. I mean how many times have we seen this. We have over 90 people that were killed in Harris County alone in the last two years that were released on multiple felony bonds.”

Violent crime in the city of Houston is down with the exception of homicides and aggravated assaults, according to police.

Already in 2021, there have been 44 homicides, five of which included teenagers, and 116 non-fatal shootings in the city. Police report they are seeing the same crime pattern as the last quarter of 2020.

Several factors were brought up during a news briefing that the mayor and Houston police Chief Art Acevedo attended Monday. Because of the pandemic, the court system is holding very few jury trials, which has created a major backlog. More than 36,000 cases are on hold.

"The backlog is enormous," District Attorney Kim Ogg told ABC13 Investigates in December. "It's frustrating for victims. It's dangerous for our community."

The issue of bond reform was discussed. It is being felt by law enforcement across Harris County.

On Monday, Memorial Villages police arrested a teen for stealing a car and crashing it. Chief Ray Schulz said the teen was already wearing an ankle monitor and was out on bond for prior charges. He was taken into custody again.

"It continues to be very frustrating because we are arresting the same people over and over again," Schulz said.

For the first time since the pandemic began, police will be able to arrest people on misdemeanor charges.

Over the weekend, Acevedo said Houston police arrested 15 people, cited 100, and impounded cars all involved in street takeovers.

"You enforce those misdemeanor violations, especially when you're in hot spot areas, you end up uncovering fruits of more violent crime and a more serious crime, and so those folks are the ones that need to worry," Acevedo said.

Currently, the jail is at 96% capacity. Acevedo said people booked on misdemeanor charges will likely be released fairly quickly on personal recognizance bonds but being able to arrest them allows officers to further investigate crime in the community.

tinman likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Haven't seen that type of violence since crack. This is for the people who think the law enforcement response to crack was different from opioids cause of race

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now they are going to flee to Katy

J.R. likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I'm going to assume that every one of those people was shot with a handgun.

Nook likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Bond reform is really needed

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dominque....step away from the plastic surgery...

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    Yeah some of us watch Houston news not obsessed with cable news personalities

we know where the slime in the ice machine is

9. Xerobull

I watch Houston news when it's posted here on CF. Maybe I'm not familiar with Dominique's slow decline into plastic. But I prefer a gracefully aging woman who takes care of herself to a lady full of silicone. Yuck.

tinman likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Blame it on the Kardasians

11. Xerobull

They're a symptom of the disease, just like Trump (since we're in the D&D).

It goes back to changing values- Western society values personality over character. What you say, the way you look (personality), is more important than your actions (character).

Character vs Personality ethics

Character Vs. Personality
    Stephen Covey proposes that there is a distinction between Personality and Character, and uses an iceberg analogy to describe them.

[​IMG]
    Our characters are deeper and more complex than our visible personalities.
    Our personalities are the bit above the water, what we present to the wider world. These include what we say and do, how we dress, how we present ourselves and how we interact with others. To some extent these personalities are shallow. They can be a bit of an act that is disconnected from our core selves.

Our character, however, is the bit below the water. This is the part of us made up of our principles, beliefs and motivations. It comprises traits such as integrity, fidelity, courage, compassion, contribution, responsibility and justice. Our personal values are reflections of our true beliefs and very much shape our characters.

mdrowe00 and tinman like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

She is nearly 53 years old and has had 6 children.

I am not really a fan of plastic surgery, but she works very hard on her appearance and is a job market where it is expected.

I have to say she looks really good for 53, but then again she always has looked good...... I remember being in high school taking a dump and someone had wrote on the wall in marker "I ****** Dominique Sachse in the butt."

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

She doesn't look bad but if they hadn't had her name on the screen I'm not sure I would have recognized her.

Nook likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Nose job, lips, etc, not really needed. This is cosmetic ****. You can take care of yourself and still be fine as hell after multiple kids. My friend's wife has had 8 kids and looks just as good, body wise. She doesn't really gussy-up but she's still very pretty.

I don't completely discount plastic surgery. If you have a massive dick nose or terrible underbite and the means to take care of it, by all means, do so. There are positives.

But as you said, she looked good before the surgeries.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Houston has successfully voted in a lot of judges that LOVE to release violent offenders back with minimum bond. Combined with a DA's office that is more focused on "reform" rather than safety, this is the result. It just happens during a perfect storm of unemployment due to COVID making it even worse.

Andre0087, J.R. and tinman like this.
  16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You didn't ask if you wanted your salad tossed with jelly or syrup.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

18. tinman

Supporting Member

They should put an exception for the people in jail for MULTIPLE HOMICIDE

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What does a submerged testicle have to do with anything?

Xerobull likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

5 homicides yesterday

tinman likes this.