1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7 Homicides in One Day In Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 10, 2020.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Defund the police is the worst marketing slogan ever put out.

Nobody knows what it means and the right just assume it means everyone wants to abolish the police force -- which I'm sure there are people that believe that, which is unfortunate since now it'll never get taken seriously.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@bobrek

If i ask do you wanna do something doesn't that imply it hasn't been done?

JumpMan likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Buncha dick riders up in this thread.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And the city of Houston increased their budget and part of it is to hire more police. Acevado has even told police officers that get laid off, to apply for a job in Houston.

And (as an example) as I have posted here before, the city of St. Petersburg is shifting budget dollars to have other organizations take care of stuff police officers are currently doing that doesn't require an actual police officer. This allows the police to focus on more important things, more training and more community interaction. While there are a handful of cities that want to take potentially dangerous "defunding" steps, I believe most would act similar to St. Petersburg.

Buck Turgidson and AleksandarN like this.
  5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You sir owe me a new keyboard

KingCheetah and Rocket River like this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No, we need major reform within most police departments around the country. As Republicans would say, why would you have a problem with a civilian review board, qualified immunity, etc. if you have nothing to hide?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't say anything about the militarization of police. Not a big fan of that either. But no. I mean how the Harris County jail houses more mental illness than any other facility. How traffic violations are assessed by people with guns. How every emergency is visited by cops. The recent shooting of the guy with a knife happened when the family called for an ambulance and got police officers instead. I once had a fire alarm go off mistakenly in my house and the first guy on the scene was a cop - if there was a fire, what was he going to do, and why would he need a gun to do it?

They don't need to be doing all these jobs. Through the BLM lens, we don't need trigger-pullers showing up all the time and escalating risks. On the blue lives side, they don't need to be taking the risk and liability of trying to solve problems they aren't trained to solve. And I'm sure they'd like to do more interesting things than writing tickets and collecting reports and responding to fire alarms. You can have some other non-armed, non-enforcement agency or agencies attend to these issues. The police department keeps the most mission-critical law enforcement work and the smaller remit means those things can be more fully funded and the department can have higher standards for the remaining officer slots.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Remove Qualified immunity . . .. and the problem will fix itself

Rocket River

AleksandarN likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like the Op

Rocket River

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're a moron that starts a lot of threads on topics you don't know anything about. That's the fascination.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

BLM isn't waiting around to be shot at this point.

13. conquistador#11

Police never help in these cases. You think they would but they don't. It's been 9 years since I went on a rant about all gang members should be taken out and treated as terroristas. Still feel that way for the ones that kill. You just have to accept that in the inner cities people crime. That's how I deal with it. And I've been in East Spring Branch for many many years. Childhood. Teen years. Left to college for 6 years, a lot of people go to college for 6 years! And came back for good in 2007. Everything is the same except now rich white people deal with the echoes of the machine gun.
    Homicides are up 40% from just around this time last year, which is crazy. And you better believe, even in a world without trump or people asking to defund, the crime would still be happening.

With this in mind, I'd like to share a poem :

Astrodome likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What's your opinion on what I stated above? I think it's fair to have citizens review what their local police is doing. If you have nothing to hide it's not a big deal.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Crime is up across the nation

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its not just threads i start

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Reagan is notorious for eliminating financial help for the mentally ill. That being said i totally agree that there are things police can be relieved of. I think our current District Attorney has tried to reduce sending people to jail for minor offenses

18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Again the majority, if not all posters here, don't want to defend the police.

P.S. you need to CALM down

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's deeper than that...

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This thread got way too vulgar too fast, lol. Anyhow, I think there's a case regarding qualified immunity before SCOTUS now.

Invisible Fan likes this.