1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7 games have come down to the last shot...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Clutch, Dec 10, 2016.

1. dwert

dwert Member

How you win a game is more important than the result. If the other team misses all wide open shots/layups/dunks and we win despite playing poorly, does that make you feel good?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The worm will turn for the Ricketts lady luck is fickle use your brains

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That's more telling of our second unit who goes up against.......other second units.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And that is bad how? It's helping Gordon tremendously

I was talking entire season. So if you want to discuss 4th Q lead losses for that 12 games the please restrict it to those 12 games

And we are 10-2

So tell me how many 4th Q lead loses we've had. Stick to Lowe's 12 games

I don't see where you are going with your statistical analysis of a 10-2 team to prove some weakness we have

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Precisely. The Rockets bench is back to 2014-2015 levels of production. Let's hope it keeps up.

6. dwert

dwert Member

Of course having strong bench is always a very good thing for the team.

But I'm not sure what it says about Harden's last 10 games or so. He was absolutely crucial for our team's success in the first 10 games, but after that I'm not so sure

7. heypartner

So that's where you are going with this. You are saying Harden is a problem in our 10-2 run since Bev came back

Explain that logic again

8. dwert

dwert Member

That's not what I said. I'm saying Harden hasn't been as important to our team's success since Bev's return. It's a good thing for the team, but it's also true that Harden's game has kind of dropped off.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Yes it does because we also missed wide open shots,layups and dunks just like the other team. At the end of the days, the only thing that matters is the W.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Even if you attribute it all to luck and go 4-4 in these games, were still doing pretty well

11. heypartner

No, it could easily mean that because how much he destroyed the league early, teams have had to try to answer. And they failed miserably, because we went on a 10-2 run.

And if you want to use stats, how about this:

Harden 4th Q Individual ORtg:
    • All season
      112 ORtg and 5 NetRtg (net is pt differential)
    • Before Bev
      104 ORtg nd 8 NetRtg
    • Since the return of Bev
      120.3 and 3 NetRtg
    Again, where are you going with this regarding a 10-2 team being Harden's fault?

#51 heypartner, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

[​IMG]

RocketWalta and heypartner like this.
  13. heypartner

His claim that the opps are missing Wide Open shots is up for debate. He can't just say that and make you respond like it's true. Hold him to that statement. I don't think that is true. Not every miss is wide open, or by the guy who you want to shoot. And even still, the fact the opponent had to scramble to make up a deficit and play their starters more than usual, also can contribute to tired legs and misses...

there are just so many other reasons for why NBA teams launch comebacks frequently in 4th Qs and fall short.

bongman likes this.
  14. dwert

dwert Member

Harden's RPM is in freefall, was comfortably 2nd at the start of the season, now Westbrook might overtake him

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

15. heypartner

I really like Lowe, and wish I could have told him in this tweet, but alas char limit.

We'll see if he responds.

16. heypartner

Now, I honestly don't think your "D'Antoni needs to talk to Harden" really was an anti-jinx thread. You mean it.

I do not consider Player stats based on +/- being worth a damn ... so RPM and ORtg/NetRtg are things you should really discuss with others.

All I do with those stats is throw them back in people's faces to prove that arguments based upon them are questionable.

And, so, using your stats, I just showed you Harden has zero problem in the 4th Q, and is actually a vastly more efficient 4th Q player. And that's what this thread is about.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assume for simplicity sake, that the Rockets were at 80 points per 100 possessions with Harden on the bench and Beverley out. Isn't he saying they are now at 94.4 with Harden on the bench and Beverley back? In no way can that be construed as a knock on Harden as it has nothing explicitly to do with him.

18. heypartner

So, you agree with me, that ppl are misusing Lowe's tweet about "since Bev" (and Gordon, really) to say something is wrong with Harden.

I didn't say that was Lowe's point, at all.

19. dwert

dwert Member

RPM >> Individual Rating

there is no debate here

and I don't care about what Harden's general stats are as long as this is the case :

vs Opponent with Top 10 Defense

25.2 ppg
    37.4 FG%
    27.0 3PT%

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/James-Harden/NBA/1598/2017/By_Season/Per_Game/Regular_Season

the drop off in Harden's game when matched against good defensive teams is too much, this is why he struggles in the playoffs.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is truth to that. But it's also important to note that in the playoffs there aren't a lot of blowouts. The ability to finish close games is going to be really important come March. I think this is a good sign.

heypartner likes this.