1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7/18 Summer League - Rockets vs. Nuggets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

After the first 8 players, there are only 7 listed. You forgot Jon Barry, which would make 8 players.

On a standard 15 man roster, we would only need to lose one player. My bet is on Jackson or Head. We don't need 3 back up combo guards, and Francis will bet kept for sentimental reasons by Les. He'll retire like Sura.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Whoa, we're going back in time here?

3. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Yao should have been willing to take a flagrant to knock that fool unconscious so that no one would ever attempt to dunk on him

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Damn it. I responded before reading the the rest of the thread. :)

5. bucket

bucket Member

I bet it's Novak. He's not even playing in the Summer League, which only makes sense if he doesn't think he's coming back.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I can only give you a partial answer because I didn't see the game,so I can't comment on Barrera.

Brooks and Bobby Jackson are projected to be the backup PG's behind Rafer.

Brent Barry will get some minutes there too. Steve Francis could get some minutes as well if he recovers from his injuries and comes fit to camp. Thank you for your kind comments and welcome to the board.

7. mac n ming

mac n ming Member

when are they going to post the highlights for this game?

8. kwng

kwng Member

I saw the front portion of the game before I stopped watching. The guys had a good first quarter then started to play "differently" (overconfident?). We were playing poorly in the second quarter and by the end second quarter, I have seen enough. We did not keep the ball well and the turnovers were just terrible.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

THE GOOD: Your boy's got some passing skills. He has very good court vision and always is looking for the open man. He made some long distance passes that were right on and setup several players for easy buckets. If he was a rocket I would say he is the second best passer on the team behind Tmac. For his height he got pretty good handles. He takes care of the ball pretty well. He looks to have good form behind the arc although he missed all 3 of his shots. He is not afraid to take it to the hole and he finishes very well. He made 1 fake pump basket that looked nba highlight ready although I think he traveled. He is a damn good rebounder for a point guard and he is a true point guard and not a 2.

THE BAD: He carries/palms all the time. They could have called carrying almost every time he had the ball. He will have to learn how to adjust. A lot of foreign players have that problem coming into the league and usually they figure it out. But it might be more difficult for him because it seems like it is part of his rhythm and possibly helps him have better handles than he might without it. Maybe it won't be a big deal but he also plays out of control sometimes. Looks like he is still a little nervous but he is improving. You can see the difference just from the first game to last night. He has good form on his shots so maybe they will eventually start falling but right now they are not.

The UGLY: He is so raw. He is 22 but he looks like he still has so much to learn. He looks like a young buck that doesn't have his feet under him just yet. He looks fragile, like if he ran into Dorsey he might break.
    He is too slow by NBA standards for a PG... Maybe too slow to play in this league. (I am notsure about this. Need to see more) He is light years behind on defense as opposed to his offensive skills.

Over all assesment. I like what I have seen so far. He is a great passer and runs the team better than any other pg in SL (Yes better than Brooks. Although brooks looked better last night) IMO he has the skills to play at this level but he needs to learn how to compensate for his shortcomings on defense. He is a definite project and he is a longshot to make the roster. But I think as of right now he has earned a longer look.

#529 Old Man Rock, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Seriously guys? 528 replies on a Summer League game? Detailed analysis of every player and criticism? Go outside.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's about 110 degrees outside with the heat index! You go outside, lol. :p

12. Caco

Caco Member

Thanks man.
    I wanted the opinion of someone over there to see how he played.

I made a couple of posts about Barrera in another thread.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=150556&page=7&pp=20

I too think he won't make the roster, but I'm really interested to see how he matched up with some of the better rookies of this and last year's class.

For what you say, he played pretty much as expected, good PG play, and so so to bad defense.

About his confidence, if you care to read my posts about him, you'll see that he's coming around after a few years in Europe where he couldn't play due to passport issues. It's too bad, because he was projected to be one of the best PG in Spain until that happened.

Thanks again for your insight.

13. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

O it can get easily 200 degree inside the earth. Let's take a journey to the center of the earth. ;)

14. Caco

Caco Member

By the way, how do I edit my posts?

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sorry, I needed to catch my breath. Here's what the Clutchfans FAQ says:

17. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Does anyone have this game? My NBA stream was stuck so I missed the whole game!

Thanks in advance.

18. Tornadoofsoul6

19. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You can get a NBA League Pass for free by signing up at nba.com and see the Rockets vs Nuggets there. I saw it last night.