1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7/18 Summer League - Rockets vs. Nuggets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Gosh I'm bored, my game summary on the players that matter

- Donte Greene: 8 of his 15 shots were 3's. Pretty much on par with his (negative) Syracuse averages. So he's an Antoine Walker-esque chucker, but hopefully a contributing chucker in a couple years.

- Joey Dorsey: very good rebounder, strong inside presense. His post D which is supposed to be good didnt look it today. He also alot times just put his arms straight in the air, inside of trying to body and push people. No need to get hurt out there but if he figures to get time at center gonna need to show more than he has. Hasnt pushed out Chuck Hayes or Landry, yet maybe.

- Aaron Brooks: great game. Today he did what he said he wanted to accomplish in the SL- lessening the scoring & having a double digit assists . He balanced his offense with the facilitating nicely. He actually looked something like a real point guard. Now its if the team will trust him enough to hand him the reigns. Couple more games with 8+ assists and 3- turnovers and he'll either make his case to be the 2nd guard or just boost his trade value.

- Maarty Leunen: the biggest surprise of the SL roster. Efficient in his shooting, plays hard and though he's not a slasher he aggressively goes to the basket on drives. Definitely worth another look for the season after next, better chance than Eliyahu or Newley to make the team.

- Mike Harris: solid as usual, just a good player in any league not the NBA. Not looking like a small forward really, as evidenced by his 0-3 in 3's, but a good athlete and just still simply puts that ball through the hoop. Might get caught in the numbers game though, especially with Dorsey and Greene playing well.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I somewhat agree, but no better place to try it than the summer leagues, and he can improve, he has the quickness and passing ability.

He made a backhanded hammer pass to a back doored Dorsey for the jam tonight that was very Jason Kiddish...so there is improvement.

With his speed, he will force teams to converge in the paint and he should have plenty of open targets to choose from......I think Brooks will be the backup PG for day 1...

DD

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dude, give it a rest. Brooks is directing our whole attack. It was very obvious when he was out of there tonight, we sunk like a rock. He is working on his game. He is doing the right things. He may never be a superstar but if he is not traded, he is going to be much improved for us this year. And yeah, he can finish with the left.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

We'll have to wait until pre-season. Last year he tore up SL, but disappeared in pre-season games.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, but he tore up the SL with his shooting and quickness, this year his shooting has been a bit off, but his passing has been great, better than a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio......and 7 assists a game so far.

I like...

DD

6. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

i didn't get to watch the game tonight but from the boxscore, it looked like greene was tring to be more efficient with his shot selection. is this true?

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Uh, not that I saw...still chucking...admittadly I only saw the 2nd half though....

DD

8. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Do you think maybe that the coaching staff told him to not play the same way as he did last year in the SL since they know what he is capable of and said to him to try out some other certain things that he needed to work on from last year? I dunno...

9. XBLRocketman111

AB just needs to find a happy medium to his scorring and directing offense. he wants to be a scorer but he is learning. runing offenses is gonna get him more looks than scoring 20 in SL

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, that is what he said in the pre- summer league interview......and I think that is what Elston Turner said too..

DD

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

He was being more aggressive tonight, but if you just look at his boxscore he looked like a chucker tonight.

Honestly he had about 4 missed threes that I couldn't be to mad at him for taking.........because they were WIDE OPEN.

In the NBA you can't pass on wide open shots like that, Donte just needs to knock them down. One of the missed open shots were absolutely horrible, from the second it left his fingers you could tell it was short and it barely kissed the rim.

12. XBLRocketman111

now is it chucking or is it a mcgrady designed play to get the open shot. if you come down the court and just pull up that is chucking not getting a shot designed through your offense!

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Alot of them were passes to him and he simply missed a open shot.....it was driving me mad.

14. XBLRocketman111

I heard he got a couple at the rim with and 1's and a monster jam! so apparently chucking was not the case if he was also taking it to the basket right?

15. XBLRocketman111

then you cant be mad at a guy that just missed the shot could happen to anyone. everyone was on his bandwagon after the 1st game. he has a couple so so games and everyone says he is a chucker. he is the go to guy on this team. I don't understand why you would call the number one scorer is shooting to much rather him that jones!!!

16. dexkk

dexkk Member

Well, he definately has athleticism. He can dunk the ball alright but he is definately a chucker. Yes, there were wide-open 3-point opportunities but he could've driven in and made a lay-up or two. He settles for 3-pointers too often and disappears from time to time.

I heard somewhere that Donte liked to compare his game to T-mac. So far, he looks like the younger T-mac who likes to chuck more than the older T-mac with less passing ability. He definately has the talent though, poor shot selection still. Most of his attempts were dunks and 3-points. Drive to the lane Donte!!

17. hubie_30

hubie_30 Member

nice game by dorsey

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

I didn't say I was mad at the guy......like I said above, I didn't care that he was taking open shots, that's what he needs to do. The fact that he wasn't hitting them was just frustrating.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Donte has his faults, but atleast he isn't George Hill... :D That was a great pick by the Spurs.

20. XBLRocketman111

Its always frustrating but he is still just a guy trying to find his niche in this adelman offense you think about it. he has only been running the offense for a week but after the summer league evryone will be happy with what he can bring to the rockets.