1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7/18 Summer League - Rockets vs. Nuggets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He's a pro thats better than CJ Miles at this point. Doesnt really belong in the SL

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Stro has the lowest basketball IQ in the entire NBA.....he's "Radio" with athletic ability.

3. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

So when athletic ability goes down he will become a smarter player :D

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The Rockets were efficient offensively tonight but the D was obviously weak.

Fortunately, defense isn't a problem with the real team.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wow DD!

I thought Novak was your guy. You think he's better than Chuck, so Luenan must be able to play at least 15 for us without any problems. Let's sign him. :rolleyes:

seriously, I like Luenan too. Perhaps this is a dose of reality for you. Novak is nothing all that great, and he probably won't be in a Rocket's uni come start of the season.

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

That sums it up. :D

7. BrooksBall

This is what they are saying about Dahntay Jones on NBA.com:

10. Dahntay Develops Past the D-League
    Former first-round pick Dahntay Jones split last season with the NBA's Sacramento Kings and the D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants, where he averaged 24.4 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 37 minutes for 10 games.

He earned an invitation to play on the Denver Nuggets' squad here in Vegas, and has taken advantage. In two games, he's averaging 18.5 points on .560 shooting, routinely exploding to the cup for easy buckets. It might not translate fully to the NBA level, but he should be able to provide energy minutes at the end of someone's rotation.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700018043

This was from before tonight's game. He's been doing this to everybody and he should be given his background and experience.

#467 BrooksBall, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  8. BrooksBall

Leunen would get owned in the NBA. He may be able to contribute in a couple of years but certainly not yet.

So many people get carried away with SL performances. Go look at what Novak did during his time in the D-League. He was tearing it up, including areas like rebounding.

9. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Whoever is pissed about the "1" point loss and saying that our players suck... GTH. Not a big deal at all. who cares. summer league, lmao. let that jones kid have his only special moments.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nah, I said Chuck and Novak are both one dimensional players who are both end of the bench guys....neither are my guy

Novak is a very good shooter, and I like having a sensational shooter like that at the end of the bench for situations...ala Bullard.....

But I certainly won't be crying if Novak get's traded or cut....

I might shed a tear over Harris though.

:D

DD

#470 DaDakota, Jul 19, 2008
  11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I noticed that he's been finishing with his left a lot this summer. I never noticed it before, so not sure if he just added that this off-season. Brooks was fabulous today. This is the kind of play that everybody was expecting this summer. He effectively balanced when to attack and when to distribute. And he was making his shots from the perimeter. Good stuff from Aaron.

Dorsey was pretty beastly today. I love the way he finishes and rebounds. And to those people dogging him on his post defense need to chill out. He's played two summer league games for us and people are already passing judgment. Dorsey isn't a polished, can't miss prospect. He's a guy with a lot of tools (strength, length, and explosiveness), that the coaching staff will try to mold into an effective NBA player. You can't get much more out of a 2nd rounder.

As for Donte, he had a pretty quiet night despite scoring 19 pts. Probably because the stream was pretty crappy in the first half (where he did much of his damage), and because he wasn't drilling a ton of threes. The 40 pt game obviously put a lot more expectations on him, so some people are disappointed. But again, like Dorsey, Donte is a guy with tools (size, shooting ability, and all-around offensive skills) that still needs to be polished and effectively harnessed.

Besides, we really can't draw any definite conclusions from this summer league play. I mean landry had a poor summer last year, but ended up really performing in the regular season. So you never know. It's best to just keep expectations in check, and keep an open mind.

#471 m_cable, Jul 19, 2008
  12. BrooksBall

And to think that he is a borderline NBA player while people are ready to create a monument of this Barrera guy or hand Leunen a roster spot.

Out of all the players on the court tonight, Brooks and Jones are the only two that may get significant playing time next season.

Sorry to burst bubbles, but guys like Greene, Dorsey and Weems have a long way to go before they contribute in the real show. Leunen isn't even close yet.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree......NBDL for Dorsey and Greene......Dorsey might get some time if Chuck is traded in that rumored Indiana deal.

DD

14. BrooksBall

Excellent assessment.

15. BrooksBall

That last second layup gave Jones the NBA frontpage. One defensive stop and somebody like Brooks or Dorsey gets the nod.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Does this mean Dahntay Dwuyne Wade Jones will get a contract next season? Since he is performing better than Brooks that means if Brooks has a contract hes probably gonna get one too right?

17. Breaker

Breaker Member

Brooks is not even the best player on the SL team and you think he's more likely to contribute to the Rockets this season. :rolleyes:

If you think Dorsey isn't ready for the NBA, then that means Brooks is no where close to being ready for it.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What???? The heck you say sir !!!

Brooks is by far the best player and most NBA ready player on the Rockets summer league team...it is not even close....

He has been concentrating on his playmaking, and if you noticed as he gets comfortable with his teamates, his assists are going up.

He is now 2nd in the entire league at 7 assists a game, just behind Ramon Sessions.

Isn't it funny how when Brooks has some finishers in there like Dorsey & Harris on the block and Luenan and Green on the wing his assists and effectiveness goes up?

Brooks will be in the rotation this year backing up Rafer, probably from day 1.

BOOK IT DANO !!

DD

19. Breaker

Breaker Member

That's the same as VY trying to be a pocket passer.

You can't be what you're not, you'll just end up playing worse trying.

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

I just wish Greene would've hit one of those open three's.......he had alot of them.