1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6th pick?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by famicom, Jul 21, 2008.

1. famicom

famicom Member

I have the 6th pick in a 12 manager league. Who would be a good pickup?

These already look to be top 4
    1) LT
    2) AP
    3) Westbrook
    4) Stephen Jax

I'm hoping Addai would fall but not sure he would. If he does would Brady be the next logical?

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'd probably go Moss.

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trust me, do not take this guys advice.............. :D

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

You'll have the chance to go Addai or Brady, and I really don't think you can find fault in either, assuming you don't have some crazy league scoring rules. I pick 5 in my main league, so I'm basically in the same spot as you, but probably looking at Jackson, Addai or Brady.

5. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

From an article that I recently read on Draftsharks.com:

Daunte Culpepper threw for 39 TDs in 2004 and has never thrown for more than 6 TDs in a season since then. Those are ALL of the QBs that have ever thrown for more than 36 TDs in a season. That is it. That is the list. Only 6! In the history of the NFL!

Favre has been the only QB to consistently throw for 30+ TDs, he did it 8 times in 11 years, and even he only had more than 35 TDs twice. Favre (8), Marino (4), and Manning (4) are the only QBs to throw for 30 or more TDs in a season 3 or more times. And of course, Tom Brady’s previous season high was 28 TDs.

Marino is the only QB to have 40+ TDs twice and he never had over 30 TDs in any other season.

Other than the season he threw for 49 TDs, Manning’s season high is 33 TDs.

Warner only had 30+ TDs twice.

Prior to Brady’s 50 TDs last season, there had only been 40+ TDs in a season 4 times, and in each of the following seasons, the QB failed to throw more than 30 TDs. So, how do you feel about Brady’s chances of throwing for 40+ TDs now? You hear a lot of people say, “Of course, Brady will hit 40+ TDs. They have almost the whole offense back and the defense is probably weaker, so they will have to score more points this year to win.”

Don’t you think that’s about what everyone was thinking after Manning’s 49 TDs? And Warner’s 41 TDs? And Marino’s 48 TDs? And Marino’s 44 TDs? Logically, it is easy to justify Brady throwing for 40 or so TDs. However, based on past history, projecting even 32 or 33 TDs is tough.

So, how many TDs will Brady throw? The easy answer is: Make it someone else’s problem by not drafting Brady in the 1st round. Someone in your league will. Go ahead and let them. Then it doesn’t matter if he throws 26 or 32 or 36 or 41. You also avoid the problem of how to fill in the rest of your team after taking a QB in the 1st round.

The hard answer is: The Magic Coin, please. Heads is more than 35 TDs. Tails is 35 TDs or less. Queue the dramatic music and…....flip, flip, flip, flip, flip…...Tails it is. 35 TDs or less. Mark that one down for the Magic Coin.

I will let Brady be someone else’s problem in the 1st Round

6. famicom

famicom Member

I think Brady will be 2nd from what I've heard, so that'll be great for me! I was thinking of going for Moss on fadeaway's advice but no it seems I may have a running back go down to me...

Stephen Jax or Addai?

Some reason I'm not enthused for Stephen Jackson, as I had him before and didn't really stand out..

7. fadeaway

Love them both this year and would have no problem drafting either one. Flip a coin, as Addai and S-Jax are even steven in my mind. I have a gut feeling that one or both of those guys could finish ahead of Peterson and LT this year.

8. Asian Sensation

Marion the Barbarian Barber. This guy runs with reckless abandon and he had a break-out year last year and this year I think he will have a true coming out party as an elite RB top 5. Sure, he will split some carries with Felix Jones but you know he's going to be MONEY in the redzone/goaline. I'd take Barber before Addai and Stephen Jax.

9. famicom

famicom Member

Barber is very intriguing...I already know how the top 5 are going to be now:

1) LT
    2) Brady
    3) AP
    4) BW
    5) Addai

All day I've been thinking who to pick: Jackson, Moss, Barber, Portis

It might come down as to what is a better combo between my first two round picks as (Jax/Colston or Moss/JLewis) I think I like both :confused:

Draft Day is tomorrow!

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

are you kidding? It's Jackson all the way.. I think the sure ones are LT, AP/Westbrook (order depends on the league setup), S Jackson, Addai

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Frank Gore. If you take Moss you should be shot

12. King1

Is it? A player who isn't in football shape and won't be going into week 1 (coming off being hurt last year).

13. kaleidosky

yeah, I understand. If you plan on your season being won or lost in week 1, then maybe you want to go another direction. But for me, it's about the whole season. Jackson will be great this year.

And Gore is among the guys I plan on avoiding in the top 12-15 or so.. just my opinion on him this year

14. King1

Yes, I expect to win my season in week 1. :rolleyes: Jackson was supposed to be great last year, now he's out of football shape this year after a lengthy holdout. Martz plans to use Gore like Faulk.

Ummmmm.....I don't think you have to worry about avoiding him in the top 12-15 or so. He'll be long gone. Jackson will be ok this year. Sig bet says Gore puts up better numbers

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

With Jackson it's all about the Rams' line. Are they healthy? Everyone seems to think they are. I had the 6th pick and got to take Addai. But now Saturday is injured so I'm worried. :mad:

16. fadeaway

I'd put them in this order:

1. Jackson
    2. Moss
    3. Barber
    4. Gore

17. kaleidosky

I have no problem with that, even given the fact that you barely post so a sig bet is worth zero on your end.

How do you determine "better numbers" ? Total yardage, total TDs...? with what weight if one is better at each of those?

(Yeah I know he plans to use Gore like Faulk.. Martz is overrated)

edit: maybe a tipjar bet would be more appropriate since you don't post very much? Your call though

18. King1

Cool with me (tipjar bet). I would say you factor in both IMO.I'm sure we can figure something out.

19. kaleidosky

ok, tipjar bet it is.. # is up to you.. $20? If too much, you can pick the #.

Since we're dealing in fantasy, we can use a scoring system. I think 10 yards per point (including 1 decimal point) is fine since that's standard. For TD's, it kinda depends on the league. I use 8 pts per rush/receiving TD in most leagues, though I still have 1 league that uses 6. I'd go for 8, but we could compromise at 7 if you want.

#19 kaleidosky, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  20. King1

All fine with me.