1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6'8'' Aaron Gordon, future NBA star.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MourningWood, Mar 25, 2013.

1. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

not impressed.. At his height he'll struggle because there are guys like wiggins coming in who are the same height, who look just as strong that have periemeter skills. The nice thing about Blade is he's 6'10 or 6-11 and 260-270. This kid looks like he's 30-40 lbs underweight for a PF. Looks slow and has poor footwork.

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Member

"Guys like Wiggins"? Wiggins is in a class of his own. He's a once-in-a-generation specimen... he's the most physically gifted prospect since LeBron. There is no one like him.

That being said, Gordon's a very special talent in his own right. At 6'8'', he has a great feel for the game. He's a ferocious finisher and has the ability to create for himself & others. Like you said, he needs to add muscle mass and develop a more consistent jumper, but both of those can be accomplished over time. He's only 17 years old.

He's a more relentless, driven Derrick Williams.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

I seen this kid play at the San Francisco pro am game 2011, this guy has hops and could dunk. Unfortunately that's all I remembered of him

4. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Asik and Howard have something say

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Agreed. All these dudes look special until they hit college.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

LOL @ people saying nothing special. He has every tool you can ask for to be special.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How does it compare to every other guy? How many times do we see this? Barns? Mayo? Jones? Almost every guy gets hyped going into college as "The next big thing" few actually do it. Most guys just become solid NBA players like Mayo and Barnes. Shabazz...ever since the initiation of the one year rule there is bound to be guys whose draft stock will fall.

I've just seen it every year now that I think it's more than fair to wait to see how they will fare in college before comparing them to Durant or whoever.

Sure his handles look good now...but wait until there is a full grown man guarding him who also dominated in high-school.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I am just saying he has every tool to become a star in the league, but to look at him and say, "nothing special" would be denying that he has legit NBA tools that could be developed into a special talent.

9. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

I played against Archbishop Mitty (Aaron's school) in HS my senior year. This was when his brother Drew was still playing. Drew was a beast, but Aaron looks a lot better.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Those tools are on display against weaker competition though. It's easier to cross someone over whose feet aren't as quick and may not be athletically ready for it. Easy to go up confidently for a dunk knowing that no one will touch your vertical.

Is he talented? Yes, definitely. But to be 'special' is something else to me. Guys who are special are locks for the all-star game.

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Granted he is only a teenager, but he is also playing against 16 and 17 year old kids. Appears to be the tallest one on the court. He isn't getting up very high on his dunks. He is 6'8" and only his forearms are barely above the rim. Of course he can get up and swat a 6'2" forwards shot. The real test will come when everyone is the same size as him and just as athletic. I definitely agree he is an nba player. Possibly already. A 19 year old lottery pick however, I doubt it at this point.

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I understand your argument, completely. I am usually the one making it because everyone seems to call people the next "_____" so fast.

I think I may not be relaying my thoughts correctly.

I am not saying he will be an NBA star. I am not saying he will be the next Lebron (I know you have not accused me of either or the two). What I am saying, is with everything he has at this stage of his life, he has every opportunity to turn his tools into top NBA talent. As of now, he has to be top 10 (athletically) in high school. He has a lot of body control (despite it being stiff at points) on these moves. He has really good timing in these defensive stops.

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many players perform those kinds of dunks AND have actual basketball skill. Moves with purpose to get to the rim, not just moves to go left to right and then right to left to shake your opponent, then take a shot you originally had from the beginning.

He may not pan out. Maybe he is the next Gerald Green. Maybe he turns out to be OJ.

But, to look at a kid like that and say, "nothing special here." I am sure that is why schools such as Kentucky, Washington and Arizona are recruiting him. Is that how they would describe him? Nothing special?

Nothing special?

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Look at the 55 - 58 second mark in that video. He puts the ball behind his head, tucks it in between his legs and then dunks it. That is hops.

That along with the under the legs three sixty, behind the back dunk and so on.

I don't think Thomas Robinson, who is about the same size and probably our most athletic player, could do all of these dunks in the video.

I understand there is more to athleticism than dunks also haha. Just thought I'd mention that!

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Here is a screen shot of him when he was 16.

[​IMG]

15. AFS

AFS Member

I wish I was a little bit taller.

I wish I was a baller.

:(

1 person likes this.
  16. texansalltheway

Next years draft is going to be special

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He has all the tools to be great. I would use a lotto pick on him as is.

18. ballplayer

ballplayer Member

Got a little of J-Kidd with the Handles and Passing and he is also from the Bay. but he has the high school body and strength of Lebron and better Jumper though at this stage to.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He is a awesome dunker, but so is Gerald Green. I know, I understand what you are saying and I agree. He looks to have a lot of talent and great height to go along with it. Kinda like Durant...

But in this age where scouts now get a extra year to find his flaws against vastly superior competition, I'm just more wait and see. Barnes was thought to be a sure thing, Barnes looks like he's going to be a solid pro. A really good NBA player...but not the superstardom...

I remember the hype around Perry Jones too. Even here, before he went to Baylor. 'Tank for Perry Jones!' some of us said (I included heh) but they go to college...and it's just different.

Those guys in high-school are good every day average ball players...the dudes in college...nearly everyone of them dominated in high-school at some point to get there.

Is he special in the way that he's one of the few people gifted enough to have what looks to be insane athleticism and height? Yes...but we'll have to see how that translates to the next level, those guys aren't going to be crossed so easily...and those centers are not going to let some freshman fly through the air unchecked all game.

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Fair enough. Besides Wiggins, do you see any special high school talents right now?