1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

666 new Texas laws go into effect Sept1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’ve sat in two different Christian churches and listened to two separate sermons years apart and in both I was told that tithing was 10% of PRETAX income (that was emphatically noted so there would be no confusion in both instances) and not doing do would leave a soul to risk the guarantee of salvation.

Religion continues to do what it was always designed to do control the ignorant through fear. You want to hand over your money to liars and pedophiles better you than me.

Thankfully the US continues to become less and less ignorant each year.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/church-membership-falls-below-majority-first-time.aspx

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

maybe this is a more accurate statement

This law put a significant % of Texas women into a state of mental torture. Women that may want an abortion but couldn't because she didn't realize she was pregnant until it was past the 6 weeks mark, because major abnormalities of the fetus were detected after 6 weeks (usually detectable around the 10th-11th weeks), or because providers are so scared of lawsuits, they all ran away.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am sorry... I haven't seen any post from you voicing your opposition to the new Texas law the USSC just allowed to go into effect, only your posts arguing with people who have posted their opposition. Hopefully you will be add your voice to those of us opposing the law.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

i said Malakas posts which were full of personal attacks and ridiculous rhetoric were ridiculous, not her opposition to the law.

She attacked that other dude personally and said basically that everyone in Texas is to blame for it and we stand by watching our wives and daughters get tortured. She then said women in Texas are no better off than cows, literally and someone else said women are better off ion Afghanistan. These are ridiculous takes and I pushed back on them, never on whether the law was a good one

JumpMan and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's where the empathy part comes in. As men, we are certain that getting pregnant will never happen to us thus we can never fear it POTENTIALLY happening to us.

For women, they have the fear of potentially not having the autonomy to not be forced to carry a baby to term.

We frankly have no clue how fearful that is for a woman.

Nook likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

It's very simple. The stakes are higher for a woman like Malakas. That's why you can't comprehend why she would be so pissed. We don't have that impending dredd knowing it COULD happen to us.

7. justtxyank

we just rescued 100k people from Afghanistan, many women among them. Every single one of them would love to come to Texas before going back, so yeah, I think it’s preposterous to make the comparison no matter what gender you are

8. fchowd0311

I can disagree with the sentiment but understand where she is coming from because that impending dredd of it POTENTIALLY happening to me does not exist but does exist for her.

And you kinda riled her up by making assertions that carrying a baby to term unwillingly isn't torture.

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Love the mental gymnastics and false equivalency in this thread. Life is sacred. Children who would have been murdered in the womb will now have a chance at life. The vast majority (>95%) of abortions are performed due to social or economic reasons. Those are not legitimate reasons to snuff out the miracle of life.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in a church, but your statement is appalling. The most intelligent, thoughtful people I know are consumed with the love of Christ. I have hope of a great revival in the American church.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  10. justtxyank

She has a choice to use a condom during sex and rule out the need for an abortion at a 98% rate. To say someone with that type of control over their fate is no different than a breeding farm animal is hyperbole and you know it.

It’s ok to admit these takes are over the top, it doesn’t make you anti choice.

JumpMan likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. fchowd0311

A embryo with no Central nervous system has no desires, no feelings, no desire to live. It's just there. It has zero conscience or sentience.

Look up the definition of empathy. You literally cannot be empathic of a fetus before brain wave patterns exist because empathy literally requires "attempting to understand the thoughts and emotions of others and how they reached that state".

So the only argument you have is a magical one based on fairly tales thar suggests that a soul exists in an entity that has zero brain wave function and therefore no conscious thought.

So in essence you are legislating your religion on to society which is a direct violation of the first amendment.

13. justtxyank

these are the things that keep me up at night. We are going to be the generation that lost democracy

Nook likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

The penalty for not using a condemn shouldn't be torture.

People make mistakes. Does that require them to undergo torture?

15. justtxyank

again, I oppose the law. But it’s ridiculous to say someone who has the choice to wear a condom is no better off than a farm animal.
    When you resort to this sort of ridiculousness you make it easier for the moderates to side against you. This is a bad law that you should be able to win the argument on without resorting to obviously ridiculous positions.

16. SuraGotMadHops

Fear is the wrong message, and should not be the focal point of Christianity. If that is what you was taught to you, that is either bad teaching, or bad interpretation. The basis of Christianity is love, not fear.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1 John

JumpMan likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

It's not a ridiculous position to believe forcing a conscious human who can experience pain and suffering to carry a fetus that has zero brain function to term unwillingly is torture.

All you have is "that's ridiculous" and "it's their fault" without any explanation why it is.

A shoplifter is personally responsible for shop lifting. Doesn't mean torture is justified.

Nook likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

The entire modern conservative Christian rhetoric is based in fear.

It's the hippie progressive Christians who do things like shelter refugees that aren't right wing who don't base their religion on fear but rather empathy and love.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There is no mental gymnastics, it's facts. No one can agree when life starts, otherwise laws would be incredibly different. It may be a typical argument of those pro-choice, but it carries a lot of weight. If you want to give the term "life" at conception, then let's make the laws be consistent for that as well and give the human life all the rights from the get-go. Insurance, citizenship, etc, the whole nine yards.

You know why that doesn't happen, because no one can agree on this philosophical question. You can fall wherever you want, on the spectrum of where you believe life begins, but stop having a greater than thou attitude as if you actually know for a fact.

Who cares why abortions are performed. That's none of your business. You aren't raising the baby the moment it is born, so why the hell are you up in someone's business. If someone wants to get ahead in her career, or wants to travel, or wants to finish her teenage years, or wants to finish her college degree, etc, then let them make that choice for themselves. Besides, they also go through a lot of emotional distress during pregnancy, they go through physical changes, etc, so who are you to tell them to go full term if they don't want to go through these issues at that point in their life?

Men are ****ing oblivious to the issues that a women deal with going through birth. This means pre and post partum. It's not just about social or economic issues and even if it is, it's none of anyone's ****ing business.

#199 ElPigto, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Yung-T, joshuaao, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  20. justtxyank

So to be 100% clear, you think it is a rational argument that women in Texas are no better than cows. You think it is reasonable to say women in Texas are worse off than women in Afghanistan. You think it is not ridiculous to say that all Texans to be condemned for this because they didn’t stop from happening.

because if you agree those are ridiculous hyperbole then you agree with me and we’re arguing for no reason. If you don’t agree with me and you think those are accurate, rational takes then we are likewise wasting times.

Nook and JumpMan like this.