1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610 trade rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by itzIce, Oct 14, 2003.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Unless I misheard, 610 reported that Joe Johnson tore his quadraceps and is out for a while. Given this development, I can't see the Suns trading Penny right now.

Hopefully, this dispells this rumor, even though it was never a rumor in the first place.

2. Sane

Sane Member

MFW,

I think the team is deep enough to take a few hits now.

We can live through, for example, Penny being out. JJ and Pike just take over the 2. True, Pike is injured, but this is a first. He's not chronically injured or anything. Also, we could stand to be without Griffin. I don't think he brings anything more than Amaechi. Moochie is not that much better than Wilks either.

What I'm trying to say is that, there's enough depth to NOT worry about injuries. How likely is it that Penny will get injured when we have 2 capable backups at his position, and Steve playing 42 minutes at the PG position? IF he does, does the production drop DRAMATICALLY with JJ and Pike taking his place? Sure, we may slump a tiny bit, but we won't have to start the T-Mo's and Juaquin Hawkins' of the league. JJ and Pike are way more than adequate.

Ofcourse, I don't expect a major shakeup anytime soon. We definitely have to give the team a chance to get healthy, get the system down, and develop some real chemistry.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Right now I've been really really impressed with cato. I am at the point where I want to keep him on this team. I do like the way the team looks with Steve at the one and jim jackson at the two. A tall sharp shooting point forward would be perfect for the three would then be perfect. Having Aemechi as a third string center is not a bad idea with all the injuries that's been plaguing this team. I do agree with shipping the Cat out if it brings us a 3 that we need.

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I really like this trade if the Rockets then trade Mobley/Griffin? for a starting power forward i.e. Grant, Kurth Thomas, A. Davis.

If Hardaway can stay health he makes the Rockets offense look more stable and the team much better for the simple fact that Moochie will recieve much less(if any) playing time.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like Charlie Pallilo, but he was very irresponsible in the way he presented this. He stated it was a trade rumor first, and then said it was something he got in an email. It didn't sound significant at all.

6. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Granted we're a reasonably deep team and probably have no probs replacing the backcourt, but what about the front court, in particular, at the 4?

Getting Penny definitely improves our backcourt for the 55 or so games he plays (maybe more maybe less, most likely less though). However, MoT's out for 4 weeks, I don't know what the hell EG's prob is (all signs pointing to his days in Houston being numbered) and AGriff's rehab situation is not confirmed (I think he's a 3 instead of 4 any ways). This leaves us without a legit PF for the first month of the season.

We've been playing Cato at the 4, although he can't hit the broad side of a barn, his boarding has been good. But now if we're to trade him for Penny, we'll have only Yao left in the middle not to mention an even bigger logjam at the 2 if they all stay healthy. Somebody's gonna b**** about PT and that spells trouble.

Also, I'm sure you understand if I don't consider Jake Voshkuhl an inside presence.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

610 just reported it in one of their little news flashes. Sounds like this rumour is for real! I didn't catch who were gonna give up though.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Houston trades: C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (10.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    C Jake Voskuhl (3.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.6 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +9.9 ppg, +2.1 rpg, and +4.3 apg.

Phoenix trades: SG Anfernee Hardaway (10.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    C Jake Voskuhl (3.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.6 minutes)
    Phoenix receives: C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    Change in team outlook: -9.9 ppg, -2.1 rpg, and -4.3 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Phoenix and Houston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and Houston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only Phoenix met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shady....

Aren't you forgetting the 7 million trade exception?

DD

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Oh yea, the stupid trade exception. I seriouly hope the Rockets don't waste it on Penny "always hurt" Hardaway.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Hey, Hey! How about Mo Taylor and Cat for Penny? Trade accepted at Real GM.

12. Thanos

Thanos Member

This sound like a GREAT trade... for the Suns, that is.

Are we now in the business of helping other teams out?

Marbury/Johnson/Mario/Amare/Cato would be a formidable line-up and make them contenders for YEARS to come.

No way in HELL we giftwrap big Kev to them, and Penny is way, way past not only his prime, but any reliability whatsoever.

Besides, the guy makes the freakin MAX for chrissakes.

I'm sure there's a better trade out there for Cuttino, Cato and Griffin.

Forget it!

13. Nova

Nova Member

This trade sucks.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No way! That trade proposal bites.

It would make the suns better and wouldn't improve the rox.

I might consider it if we threw in a few 1st rounders though. :rolleyes:

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Upon reading that, I got the same sick feeling I had when David Stern had just announced that Jason Collier was a Houston Rocket.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Echoing, I believe the line up of Cato and Yao on the floor at the same time works well. I enjoyed it. I would not like this trade.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know how i feel about this...

but can you imagine a trade of penny for the rockets backup center back in 1995? :D :eek:

18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What the Rockets desperately need is someone who can set up and direct the offense on the floor. It really doesn't matter what position they play (it's usually the PG but not always - see *shudder* Scottie Pippen) as long as they (1) make sure everyone is in the right place and (2) get the ball moving.

To be honest, I have no idea if Penny Hardaway is that kind of player. I know he played PG with Orlando and was well-regarded, but he could easily be a shoot-first PG for all I know. But assuming he is a floor general type player, then he could be a good fit. He's got good size, which would allow him to guard opposing SGs or even SFs in some cases. He can score in a variety of ways (inside and outside).

But the problems with Penny have been outlined already, and are serious IMHO. Unless his contract runs out this year, you don't trade for a guy who will likely play at most half of the games.

The only reason I like this trade is if it is combined with a trade to get a legit PF (I love Kurt Thomas and think he would be perfect for this team) and maybe a legit backup PG (Charlie Ward or Howard Eisley). So if the Suns trade is combined with a NY trade, then I'm OK with this.

I don't have Real GM, but could someone look this up possibe 3-way.

Rockets trade: Kelvin Cato, Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, Trade Exception

Rockets get: Penny Hardaway, Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward

Suns Trade: Penny Hardaway

Suns get: Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, trade exception

Knicks trade: Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward

Knicks get: Kelvin Cato

Just a thought.

19. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

penny is injury prone

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member