1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610 am] Morey Interview (10/22/09)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But if you keep Dorsey and Cook they add up to nearly $4.5 million of expiring deals.....

No way Morey let's those chips go before the trade deadline...afterwards, if neither is traded, I could easily see a buyout situation.

DD

2. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

They HAVE to get rid of Cook or Dorsey, or both.

If Brooks or Lowry get hurt, we are screwed big time. We'll have 8 C/PF and 2 PGs if they cut Conroy and keep Dorsey/Cook. Awesome. Not to mention if one of the other wing players gets hurt.

Talk about an unbalanced roster:

C - Hayes, Andersen, Dorsey, Yao
    PF - Scola, Landry, Pops, Cook
    SF - Battier, Budinger
    SG - Ariza, Taylor, McGrady
    PG - Brooks, Lowry

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we won't know much until 11/23.

4. newlookrockets

all dorsey needs is to stay out of foul trouble. he can work on that till next season. he obvioulsy needs more time, if and when he pans out, he'll be more valubble then pops. cook already has a contract.

we dont need conroy, brooks and lowry can hold the point down, both can play sg in small ball. if tmac doesnt pan out they can trade for a pg in a multiplayer trade.

if one of out pgs gets hurt there'll be a trade, prolly cook or landry

the team needs bigs w/ no yao, frontcourt players have a better chance of getting in foul trouble, so having another big will help w/ that.

5. joesr

joesr Member

You guys act as if a blessed trade is ready for us to help rid Cook and Dorsey.

If they get cut we still pay, yeah smart move guys, we're already in the whole as it is.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They are not going to let 3 mil. just walk away. End of discussion.

It's smart and when the trade deadline comes you will see why.

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Haha you just know that Morey was being politically correct referring to Cook. He knows Cook won't help the team other than his expiring contract and said those things about Cook because he can't throw his own player under the bus.

8. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Think of it this way:

Is gaining a third string point guard right now as insurance, in case one of our point guards gets an injury in the future, worth giving up the flexibility we have by retaining both Dorsey's and Cook's contracts as filler in a trade for a second string player or starter near the trade deadline?

Let me put it another way:

Let's say the Rockets have a trade lined up around the deadline to bring in Bosh or Wade, or any other players that most of you guys have been drooling over to get your hands on. But in order to make the trade work we'd need to find 1-3 million more dollars in salary to match. If we cut Cook and/or Dorsey now, we'd probably have to include one of our rotation players as filler just to make the deal work. So in essence, it's possible that getting Conroy now by cutting Cook/Dorsey would cost us someone like, say...Landry or Brooks or Hayes.

This is why some people understand that keeping those contracts is a smart thing to do, even though we may agree that Conroy (the player) either has more upside or would be more valuable as a player than Cook or Dorsey right now. It's a matter of knowing your moves two steps ahead for the win rather than thinking only of what's best right now, then to ultimately lose.

They're not going to let those trade assets walk unless they're still on our roster after the trade deadline. Then get ready for a buyout of Cook/Dorsey and an offer to Conroy (or any other player still available that fits a team need) in March.

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

610 is really bad. I can't stand when they talk about the Rockets.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I actually like them but that interview was really HORRIBLE.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I liked that they got a lot of callers in, and they didn't go off on tangents like certain other stations are prone to do.

DD is right though .. they did dwell on the players standing rule too long. John Lopez made way too big a deal about it.

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Conroy can flat-out play. I see the tactical advantage of expirings come 11/23, but I doubt Cook and Dorsey's $3-4.5 million will solve our problems. In other words, I doubt Toronto will give up Bosh (+/-) for T-Mac + Cook + Dorsey. (Still, Morey, Git-er-done!) Whatever tactical edge expiring contracts might offer in theory is fun to contemplate. Conroy could actually help us win games, though, which is something I don't believe Dorsey or Cook will do; and, if we don't get something better out of their expiring contracts than Conroy... well... I will be sad.

Best of luck to Will Conroy. If you can't play for us, please head East!

13. ty185

ty185 Member

If and when that happens, we'll cut someone to sign Conroy or whoever else is there. It's not like teams has been lining up to sign Conroy and if we release him, he's lost forever.

I highly doubt at this stage, a NBA team will reach out and sign Conroy instead of signing their own camp invitees if we release him at the end of the week.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The difference in thinking is that you believe the Rockets are trying to win THIS YEAR...whereas I think they are building for NEXT YEAR......

Therefore tradeable expiring contracts in the biggest year in NBA free agent history are more valuable than 4 or 5 wins this year when we aren't going anywhere anyway.

DD

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I would definitely take the expiring contracts over 4-5 more wins this year. Besides free agency, it will affect the draft.

Getting 5 more wins, could drop the their draft position by 4 spots in a lottery that has more big men than normal drafts. The Rockets will have a better chance to draft, a PF with talent and height(over 6'9"). It's better to draft from the 8th position than the 12th position.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

DM is about to get fined for speaking against the rule... I have ultimate respect for him for sharing his opinion on this. It is a BS rule.

17. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Ricks only going to have 8-9 players in the rotation anyways

Whoever he keeps will ride the pine like Dorsey did last year

18. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I think the idea that having Conroy as a backup-backup point guard providing us with 4 or 5 wins that we wouldn't get without cutting Cook/Dorsey now is extremely generous.

Especially if you consider in the unlikely case that Brooks or Lowry go down with an injury that keeps them out for 4-5 games (roughly 2 weeks?), we will THEN be able to cut Cooks/Dorsey (and lose our flexibility at that time) and likely pick up Conroy or any other worthy third string point guard to replace our injured guard. And that assumes that we hadn't already made room on our roster through trades to pick him him before the deadline.

But to say that we win 4 or 5 games only because we'll have a third string point guard on hand seems a bit overly opptimistic to me.

But I understand what you're saying. This team is being developed to contend next season and to get to the playoffs only this season. But the emphasis is on next year.

If the brass feels that this team, with Dorsey and Cook until the trade deadline, is capable of getting to the playoffs this season, then having that flexibility to score a possible difference-maker at the trade deadline so that we're in contention next season is the way to go.

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

If PG is the most important position, how come the best PGs in the game so rarely win championships?

I'm not saying you're wrong but my opinion is that dominant wing players and bigs are generally more valuable than PGs.

20. joesr

joesr Member

lol, did he really call him pops mistubishi?