1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$600/week unemployment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, May 2, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

And a lot of politically friendly-with-the-regime companies.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I hope to be as woke as Sam one day.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I still feel this made the most sense. Although right now I can see that the $600 benefit has prevented the economy from collapsing, this is likely a short term bandaid to a much bigger problem. As @Major said ultimately small businesses will be ****ed.

I currently support extending the $600 benefit because Republicans have had their heads up their ass for quite sometime and are rushing to put a bill together. Ultimately, we need to raise minimum wage and realize that we have a stronger economy when people in poverty trickle into the middle class. Not sure why poor evangelical Republicans are so damn stupid about defending the bullshit that the elite rich do in this country.

4. Two Sandwiches

I agree with almost everything said here, except raising the minimum wage. By doing so, you're pricing minimum wage workers out of many jobs and asking for more automation. @Major would agree I'm sure.

Instead, let's implement a UBI and take the burden off of small business owners and the middle class.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Galaxy brain arguments not entertained. Moving on....

Yeah, uh, i can look at the data about the effect its had on consumption that the pros have published , or i can take a fragment of anectdata from some internet guys acquaintance ....not a hard choice here.

There's no evidence at all of demand-induced inflation because this js replacing missing demand.

Inflation hasn't been a problem for decades. Mass unemployment and Economic calamity are problems right this very
    Yeah your personal feelings begrudging others getting crumbs from the table while the true winners gorge themselves have been chronicled at length. None of it changes that not only is expanded ui benefits is a net good policy wise and actually worked.

The problem of essential workers being underpaid is not really related to this,. But maybe a feature not a bug of our version of capitalism. See bullshit jobs for a theory of why.

Unlikely.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The whole PPP program reeks of corruption. Those crying "get off the couch and cut off that $600 a week" have no idea how it is to live off $600 a week when you can't work. Many don't have jobs to go back to or have at risk family members too vulnerable to risk infecting.

The rich and corrupt are the ones who basically bribed their way into receiving the bulk of handouts, not those out of work, sick, or in lockdown because they are at high risk, or a family member is at high risk, and not a lot of the small businesses trying to keep afloat or shut down.

Addressing the other COVID crisis: Corruption
    Aryeh Mellman and Norman EisenWednesday, July 22, 2020
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/addressing-the-other-covid-crisis-corruption/

27 clients who received 10.5 billion in bailouts were Trump connected lobbyists. 273 million went to companies owned or operated by major donors to Trump. The whole pandemic situation and funding reeks of corruption. People are suffering, losing healthcare, jobs, and being forced to choose to be put at a high risk of infection or cut off completely. Meanwhile, those at the top get a lot richer.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

This was the argument right wing cranks trotted out 10 years ago when cities started raising minimum wage and it did not work out the way critics thought. Still of course those same cranks are given airtime and policy jobs because thats the way politicaleconomics works

Jobs will be automated regardless - using the rancid corpse of Heritage foundation approved pablum to push low wage workers down and increase their suffering and further line Kochish pockets on the way there is banal, slovenly and calumnious

RayRay10, DVauthrin and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

RayRay10, tmoney1101 and DVauthrin like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Was everyone clear that the 600 was on top of regular benefits?

Believe me, plenty of people tried to avoid going back to work

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Plenty of people make more working also. People that have been working their entire lives and it’s their first time to be on unemployment. People whose jobs have disappeared and don’t have anything to go back to.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and SamFisher like this.
  12. SamFisher

Yeah but, you know, random internet peoples have lots of thoughts and stories about dudes they know

I mean, for dealing with the worst national crisis in a century - we have to give them a listen because why bother with things that actually work and can be validated by data!

If we followed expert advice and damned lies and statistics we wouldn't be #1 in COVID19 global power rankings

13. Two Sandwiches

The extreme alt left. They're hilarious, folks.

Point out a bunch of cherry picked data, that actually supports the government's response, while lauding protestors and spreading much ill will for the government. Funny thing is the cherry picked data is flimsy at best.

Oh wait, but that's not all. Everyone that's not extreme alt left is evil. If you're not extreme alt left, you're waaaayy alt right and a Trump supporter. Even if, in reality, you're fairly central and lean left on a lot of things. That's not close enough to their beliefs though, so you're evil.

Keep lauding the government's response. We all know the government response has been terrible. Apparently the irony is lost on you. I'll sit back and laugh as the bubble continues to grow.

And this is the reason Bernie never got the nomination, folks. His supporters are batty.

RayRay10 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We should have done what England or Canada did - but we went cheap - our money is not guaranteed by anything - we just print it.....and yep, there will be inflation because of it.

The $600 a week was a smart band aid in a difficult time it kept the economy from collapsing - and it stopped them from making the harder choice which would have been to freeze payments to banks/buildings/Credit cards etc....for a few months....which would have hurt big business - and we know the GOP being in big business pocket can't have that.

DD

15. SamFisher

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I consider myself moderate but do agree with the $600 supplemental unemployment. If the Federal Reserve can pump 2 trillion into the markets directly to artificially keep stocks high it's no longer capitalism. Farmers are getting subsidies and businesses are too big to fail. It all goes against the way the system was initially designed. My point is it doesn't hurt to put extra money into the hands of people that were working but cannot find a job because of the pandemic.

RayRay10, DVauthrin, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I was laid off from my full-time job in Houston where I was making $46,500 annually with full benefits in May 2018. I received the maximum bi-weekly UI benefit in Texas for the entire 26 weeks you can receive it from the state. Want to know what that was? $930. In other words, $465 a week. Add $600 to that and you get $1065 a week. If you received both for the entire year, someone would make 55,380, pre tax and with no benefits or retirement income. In Texas, you can only receive UI for 26 weeks. That means an individual laid off during COVID-19 would receive a maximum of $43,290, pre tax and with no benefits. ($1065 for the first 26 weeks, and $600 for the remaining 26 weeks). Also, many of those people that were laid off wouldn’t get anywhere close to the $465 per week that I received because their salary was much lower.

Point is, individuals that were laid off or furloughed during this crisis aren’t getting rich from this benefit.

#117 DVauthrin, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

And now they want to test people and see if they can make them desperate enough to go work at which wich.

The government bungled the response to covid so bad that the good jobs we’ve lost haven’t come back. If they’ve had acted stronger to begin with we wouldn’t be in this mess. They have no problem cleaning up their mess for millionaires and billionaires but the average American gets left to fend for themselves through no fault of their own.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're a random interne loud mouth What makes you different? You work with people making less than $50k? Where is your evidence

#119 pgabriel, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we support you brother! hope you are back on your feet.