1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6 Cities Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times for Profit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaleidosky, Apr 14, 2008.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

(Go to the article page if you want to click on all the "Read the full story" links)

http://www.motorists.org/blog/red-l...ght-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/

2. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I cross the Greenville/Mockingbird intersection 6 times a day. I've never noticed the shorter yellow light but I do believe it. That's the only red light camera in the area, so that might have something to do with it.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

4.3 seconds for a yellow light seems like forever to me. I guess I just never thought about it.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Is that the one by the Across the Street Bar? Never noticed a camera there.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm so glad they don't have red light cameras in my area.....yet.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Well it does say "was located", the stats were quoted from mid 2007, and there was this:

So I'm guessing the camera is gone and they've hopefully fixed the short yellow there?

7. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Time flies when your having fun breaking the law

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the camera is still there. I'll double check in a few hours and let you know

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

College Station has been installing red light cameras over the past few months. I'd imagine that they're milking the cash cow for all it's worth at this point. It's probably doing some good, because most of the college kids around here drive like they've recently suffered a severe head injury.

But seriously, it's about time for people to realize that all of the traffic laws/penalties/fees and such are designed more to generate revenue than they are to keep people safe. It's all about feeding the belly of local government, and has little to do with how much the laws/penalties/fees reduce traffic accidents.

Also, I usually drive naked and I get a lot of gawkers who want to admire my genitals, so I think there should be a "no gawking at the admirable genitalia of the thadeus" law, you know, just to keep people safe from the dangers of gawking at awesome genitals.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the yellow light off Texas near Best Buy runs short. It feels short. God knows if they get me for no reason Ill be in court yelling up a storm begging for the opportunity to waste a jury's day.

11. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

4.3 secs. I know lights that run thru green AND yellow in that timeframe. There would be billionaires down here in GA if we had cameras.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thadeus...I wish I could put into words how awesome it is to read something like this on a slow Monday, but I can't. I would like to say well done, and please keep up the good work (and genitals).

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

When I broadside you, do not cry, nor complain.

Knowing you ran the light on purpose will ease my own guilt for having broadsided you.

Unless I misunderstand your post, then, nevermind.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

yeah anyone who's been in Lubbock lately will know this goes on. There's one place where there is 2 sets of lights that go from green to red in about 3 seconds. As soon as it hits green it goes yellow, pretty stupid, especially since there's no one ever going the opposite side..

15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

You live in Lubbock?

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

only for school

17. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

I love how Dallas is one of the cities :D Bastards.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I live in a small town of about 30,000. There was ONE red light camera, but for some reason it was only pointed down this side street. Here I am thinking how stupid the cops are. Lo and Behold, they were using the camera to bring down the area's biggest drug ring. 12 arrests in all. A lot less cocaine in the area.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Apparently a red light camera controlled intersection in College Station lead directly to a collision with a train (bring on the Aggie jokes, fair enough) this weekend. I am not 100% clear on the story but seems like reason enough to me to get rid of the nuisance trap.

20. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

what? I know there is a red light camera at 75 and lovers and i am pretty positive there is one at lovers and greenville.... the next major exit from mockingbird.

I dont worry as much about red light cameras on greenville though... I worry about making u-turns. I think its fair to say that 80% of the DUIs handed out on greenville are because of illegal u-turns that the cops feast on to pull people over.