1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[538]Westbrook broke BPM and is "pretty badly overrated"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2019.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

You definitely know how to keep the Garm spiced up lol. This should go well.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. Caprah

Caprah Member

D’Antoni if this blows up will be booted as the scapegoat

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just wish he could buy in to a style that masks his weaknesses and emphasizes his strengths, even if that means no more triple doubles.

Lawlruschang and RichieBanks like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Without doubt Russ is a bad defender.
    But let's be honest, most point guards in the NBA are really bad defensively because their counterpoint is so good offensively.

I'd much rather Westbrook on the defensive end than Pat Beverley, because it means that Westbrook is there on the offensive end as well! Steph Curry is up there with the worst defensive PGs in the NBA (if not the worst?), but he can still be a cog in one of the best defensive units because defence at the PG spot matters so little.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Now that he's a Rocket, people think he's overrated. Where was this criticism in 2017? People are pathetic

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Now that he's a Rocket, Rockets fans no longer think he's overrated. Where was this love in 2017?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? search for westbrook posts in that year. you'll find plenty of it

2019 isn't the first time westbrook is being questioned

split41, Rock Block, BeBreezy and 2 others like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They commented in that report that their data was flawed and overrated the rockets

ElPigto, Invisible Fan and J Sizzle like this.
  9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I haven't watched a lot of Wesbrook, because **** any team that isn't the Rockets. But now he is a Rocket. Can someone explain to me this concept of "cheap" rebounds? I mean, more rebounds is always better than less. "Uncontested defensive rebounds?" Uh, yeah, please go ahead and grab those! People used to say "His big men box out for him!" Isn't boxing out... good? I swear I heard once that boxing out is a good thing. How can a guard get 6–7 "cheap" rebounds a game unless he doesn't suck? How would the center or whoever even have that many opportunities to box out his man and "let" the ball lazily bounce to Westbrook? I don't think that's how rebounds work.

Somebody who has watched him play, please explain this. If the answer is, "Well, he averages double-digit rebounds, but he only gets like three rebounds a game in traffic," that's... still really good?

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  10. justtxyank

Honestly just posting interesting data for consumption and discussion.

My expectation is that we’ll have some people who view the data and dismiss it because they dismiss anything they see as negative, some who dismiss because they hate statistical analysis and can’t understand it, someone who dismiss it because it’s still an experimental stat, etc.

BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Be honest. You'd take Steph Curry's offense over Westbrook's offense 100 times out of 100. With the Beverly comparison, are you implying that the extra effort Beverly exerts defensively is what makes him an offensive liability thus nullifying his impact? And therefore, it's okay that Westbrook doesn't need to put in more effort to be a better defender because his offensive abilities are so good, he's at Steph Curry's level of productivity? Man, I want what you're smoking.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

So does this mean they strip WB of MVP and give it to James? Not sure why they’re digging this hard into the numbers now but didn’t bother to then....

13. justtxyank

The point with why the stats that value rebounds are overrated is because he doesn’t add rebounds. These are rebounds that his team would still otherwise get but his teammates defer to him to get them so he can have the stats.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

more than enough examples here. @Hippieloser

the 1:15 mark is pretty hilarious. he isn't even bothering to playing defense. hes just sitting in the paint parked waiting for a rebound lol

ElPigto and harold bingo like this.
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Nate Silver stinks. Wake me up whenHarry Enten or Nate Cohn develop an advanced NBA stats analysis . Give me a basketball needle.

[​IMG]

Chris Cillizza believes in Westbrook and the Rockets. :confused:

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. justtxyank

They are an analytic entity. They strive to perfect their measurements. They’ve known for a while that stats weren’t capturing Westbrook correctly and have been trying to fix it

17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I don't really care what his stats were in OKC, this will be a different team and role. He will be in a better system that should utilize his strengths. He will play in more spacing than he has ever had. I believe he and James will help each other and play off each other well.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's pretty clear why they're doing it, because they are creating their own version of BPM. Espn has RPM, bball index has PIPM, there's also RAPM, and now 538 wants to create their own all-inclusive plus/minus metric.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they gonna destroy the league!

Lawlruschang likes this.
  20. justtxyank

Right. They’ve previously used other people’s stats and found flaws in how their models turn out based on those