1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

52 Democrats Walk Out of Senate -- Speaker orders Arrest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc sports, May 12, 2003.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/1906120

May 12, 2003, 12:24PM

Walkout by angry Democrats halts work at Texas House
    By R.G. RATCLIFFE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN -- Outnumbered by House Republicans determined to pass a congressional redistricting bill, 52 Democrats went into hiding today to keep the House from meeting.

At about 10:10 a.m., Speaker Tom Craddick ordered the House chamber locked so no one could leave. At 10:30, he ordered the House sergeant at arms to use whatever means he had available to arrest the missing members and bring them back to the House. Typically, the Texas Department of Public Safety is called in to carry out that order.

The House walkout not only blocked the redistricting bill, but any action on all other bills on the calendar. The House cannot convene without at least two-thirds of the membership, or 100 members, present on the House floor under legislative rules.

The crisis erupted this morning when, less than 30 minutes before the Texas House was due to convene, the letters of 52 Democrats were delivered to the Republican leadership informing them they would not be present.

It was not immediately clear why the other 10 Democrats in the House are not participating in the walkout, but many of those 10 are aligned with GOP House Speaker Tom Craddick. There are 88 Republicans in the House for a total of 150 members.

The Democrats' letters were uniform, all saying, "Please lock my voting machine until I physically return to the House floor and advise you personally that I wish my voting machine to be unlocked."

One of the organizers told the San Antonio Express-News in today's editions that the action was planned as retaliation against the Legislature's Republican leadership.

The lawmakers were preparing for the trip Sunday night and were packing clothes to allow them to stay away for four days, a legislative source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. That would put them past the deadline for preliminary passage of major pending bills that have been termed a priority by the Republican-controlled Legislature.

"We're leaving, and we'll stay gone 'til Thursday," one member from South Texas, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the newspaper.

Craddick spokesman Bob Richter said a special legislative session would have to be held immediately after the regular session ends June 2.

Several of the legislators who planned to be absent said they were expecting the worst.

"I guess we will be called obstructionists, or maybe worse. But we are making a statement," said a South Texas legislator. "If this is going to be the only way to stop bad legislation from being rammed down our throats, then so be it."

The latest group of quorum-busters planned to leave the state to avoid having state police detain them and forcibly return them to the House floor, if necessary.

"DPS or the Rangers can't exactly come get us if we are outside of Texas," said one legislator.

Several sources said some of the members were to board a plane leaving from a Central Texas airport to rural Oklahoma. A separate group would fly to New Mexico, while a third group left by bus for New Mexico, according to the sources.

The breaking of a quorum hasn't been used in more than 20 years as a parliamentary maneuver, officials said. The Democratic walkout to block redistricting is reminiscent of the 1979 "Killer Bees" walkout in the Texas Senate.

Twelve Democratic senators went into hiding to break the Senate quorum. By doing so, they killed a bill to move the Texas primary date so it would benefit former Gov. John Connally's Republican presidential bid in 1980.

Carlos Truan, one of the original Senate "Killer Bees," said such drastic tactics aren't for the faint of heart.

"They better be prepared to pay the political consequences for their actions, because there will be a hell of a price to pay," said Truan of Corpus Christi, who no longer serves in the Senate. "Breaking a quorum is a very, very major thing."

The proposed redistricting bill is being pushed by U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land. DeLay says the congressional districts should reflect Texas voting patterns that have resulted in GOP control of the Legislature and every statewide office.

Democrats currently have a 17-15 majority in the state's congressional delegation. The redistricting plan before the House would allow Republicans to take four to seven of those seats away from Democrats in the next elections.

The Texas Democratic Party plans to hold a rally at noon on the south steps of the Capitol to show support for the walkout.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

Those sneaky liberals pulling out every trick in the book --- redistricting at the state level will always be a headache for one party or the other.

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Avoiding the redistricting debate -- because I haven't read much on the disagreement....

I think this is pretty childish. These people were elected to represent their constituants. Rather than debating the issue, and working within the political process, they walk out. If 2/3 of the State Senate disagrees, fine. You make your point known and move on. That's the democratic process.

What these representatives, who we elected and pay, are saying is, "I'm losing this game, so I'm taking my ball and going home so everyone loses."

Of note -- not mentioned in the article -- This also short circuts all other bills on the docket, including several budget measures which the state needs to balance the budget. School financing, health care, etc. all out the window for this session. PLUS -- everyone will have to come back and work in a later special session.

I'd also like to congradulate the 12 Democratic Representaitives who did not participate in this walkout. They are in the house, representing their consituents, as we speak.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Considering that the walk out is about the redistricting debate, maybe you should read up on it.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

arrests????

Rocket River

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

Probably should, but it's the same debate that comes up every 10 years. However, the walk-out is more an issue about power than about the issue itself. No group should walk out in order to short circut the process. It's childish. Many of these people are leaving the state in order to halt our state legislature.

The quarum rules were put in place to prevent issues from being debated without adequite representation -- to prevent a group in power from meeting without representation from minority groups. In other words, that rule protects the boycotting group, making sure that they can be involved in the debate and vote. They are using this rule designed to protect them, to circumvent the process.

Rocket River -- I tried to put "arrests". It was probably too long and was cropped.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It wouldn't be too hard to find them. Go to Scholz' Beer Garden. They are probably on their 15th pitcher by now.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I absolutely love what they are doing.
    The re-districting bill would divide Austin like a pizza. It would have 4 districts radiating out from it's center... one going to the Gulf Coast, one going all the way to Mexico. Not one of them would have a majority of Austin residents.

Austin would be the only major city in Texas without it's own district... one where the great majority of it's citizens live. This is doing a courageous thing that represents Austin residents in a crucial matter... their local representation in Washington. So, as someone who lives in Austin and would be directly affected by this terrible bill, I applaud them.

I hope it works.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Again...this bothers me in the same fashion the filibuster to prevent judicial appointments does.

The people voted these Republicans in to carry out their wishes. That's representative democracy. An attempt by the minority to block that through some procedural crap undermines representative democracy. It's really that simple.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm torn. Quorum-busting is despicable; but so are our whole redistricting procedures. I'd give the democrats more credit if they actually wanted to fix the system to make redistricting fair, but they don't; they'll do the same damn thing the republicans are doing if they can ever manage to get in power.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'll assume you have that same attitude when religious fundamentalist are voted into power in Iraq.

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Did the people's wishes include redistricting Texas in such a wacky way that it would ensure one-party rule in the state?

13. MadMax

come on, man...seriously. you can do much better than that.

14. MadMax

if it isn't, then they'll answer for it...but given the overwhelming majority of republicans elected to Texas positions, i'm betting the electorate doesn't care that much....at least the majority doesn't.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You obviously don't live in Austin. The majority here would care a great deal if this bill went through. MadMax, have you looked at the maps at all? Do you think Austin is being treated fairly? Put aside the Party preference for a minute and look at the map. From Austin's perspective the city would lose it's representation. Your OK with that?

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I guess so.

I mean, no one complained when the Dems did this for decades.

I assume that's why my former Congressional district stretched from Denton to the Oklahoma Panhandle, at some points being barely wider than Highway 287. But for many, many years, that district pretty well ensured a Democratic Representative despite the Texas Panhandle was about the most conservative area in the country. But splitting the Panhandle weakened the Republican vote (Eventually, the district became Republican majority, but it took a while).

17. MadMax

austin isn't the majority, deckard...the majority from each district elected their own representatives..they are overwhelmingly republican. them's the breaks...it hasn't always been that way, and it won't always be that way. but that's what you get in representative democracy. maybe you should seek to replace it with rule from a few...some call that fascism...others call it oligarchy.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, you must be having a bad day. Nevermind.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56125

I don't know if you posted in this thread or not, but this is what I was referring to, and btw, I was just referring to the sentence I quoted, not your whole post, because I would consider walking out childish.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ah, so because Texas is a Republican majority state, it's ok to to redraw the lines so that thousands of people who aren't in the majority won't even matter anymore. Doesn't anybody care that the crazy districts make it so that reps don't even aknowledge all their constituants? Tom DeLay is supposed to represent the people of Alief, where I'm from, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the only people he listens to are the ones in Sugar Land. We don't matter, thems the breaks.