1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

50% of Americans, and 80% of likely GOP primary voters, now support the Trump ban on Muslims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not with ISIS. This is the problem with ATW's crusade against Islam - he paints a picture that 80% of Muslims support the bombings in Brussels.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please provide a quote where I would have said that 80 % of Muslims support the bombings in Brussels. If you cannot do that, I expect your apology in advance.

What is true, however, is that sadly, there is a lot more support for ISIS among Muslims than there should be.

20 % of Muslims polled in the UK sympathized with the 7/7 bombers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ls-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

And 40 % of Muslims in the UK want Sharia law in the UK.

The key issue for me is not support for ISIS, but support for Sharia law, which is not compatible with human rights.

I won't repost the Pew polls, but they are pretty clear.

As to "crusade against Islam":

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No. It's more like 50% have SOME of the same draconian views as ISIS such as death for apostasy, adultery etc.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Oh please, you continually push the idea that Islam = terrorism. You use that PEW poll to associate each terrorist attack to the collective of Islam.

You have failed to make a link that support for Sharia Law = support for ISIS.

There's no one here that thinks the world needs Sharia Law outside of maybe Exiled who doesn't even make any sense. It's awful. But support for Sharia Law does not equal support for bombing western cities.

This thread is about terrorism. And whether or not Muslims should be banned because they are a terrorist threat. When the VAST majority of Muslims across the world reject ISIS, you should be able to say, hey there is something positive. But you don't.

In this country there is a higher percentage of people who support the KKK than there are those supporting ISIS in Muslim countries.

And when are you going grow-up and let go of your unhealthy obsession with New Yorker. Are you so scarred by New Yorker that it still haunts you 10 years later????

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you saying that Islamist terrorist attacks have nothing to do with Islam? (I am asking your current persona - we know that your previous persona said that they DO have to do with Islam).

Failed? I never attempted to make that link. But it is an interesting question you raise - one of ISIS' main goals is to establish (a crazy strict) version of Sharia law. Are you saying that there is no correlation? (again, I am asking the persona you are currently playing)

Can you provide any evidence for that statement? If yes, I would like to see it. Certainly, your previous persona on this BBS claimed something very different, directionally.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Any religious group that conducts terrorism has some tie-in to the religion. Religions can be interpreted many ways, even you can grasp such a simple concept.

You have always been trying to make a link - you are doing it right here in your post!! I mean, it's hilarious that you contradict yourself in two sentences.

Correlation does not each causation.

Obviously it was a rhetorical point since there is no poll you can give to measure support for the KKK. But let's look at Islamophobia where:

http://www.soundvision.com/article/islamophobia-statistics-usa-2011

Clearly Anti-Muslim sentiment runs at a high rate in the U.S. And if you grew up in the south, you'd know that open racism towards minorities is very high.

As for persona... Dude seriously - it's been 10 years! What the matter with you? You don't bother me with all the New Yorker stuff, but it is really childish and stupid. Let it go. I post what I believe. Everyone on here but you has accepted that fact. What is your problem? 10 years? Seriously? WTF?

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So were you lying back then or are you lying now or are you bipolar or have your opinions changed 180 degrees or are you just a pathological attention-seeker who likes to argue for the sake of it, or a bit of all of the above?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are a petty human being. An arrogant narcissist who has nothing better to do than badger people online and sift through their posts of 10 years ago out of some perturbed obsession.

For the sake of this board and the sake of not wasting life on you - good riddance.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your ad hominem attacks aside - answer the question. Unless you answer it convincingly, you have zero credibility on this board, and that will always stay that way. Zero. No matter how much you post, and how aggressively you do it. You posted thousands of times, attacking people just like you are doing now, over years, mostly representing opposite viewpoints to what you are now pretending to be your opinion.

Basically, you are just wasting everyone's time. It's quite a joke.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL that's just mean. Clearly his shtick has changed and someone like that really isn't worth talking with because they likely don't even believe the BS they spout.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You can have your opinion that the person who passes 270 electoral votes in an election for the American presidency isn't the president, it would just be dead wrong. I can't stop you from thinking or expressing factually wrong things, but unfortunately, a democracy doesn't work by changing the rules midway, and the law is very clear on this case.

1) you playing gotcha is a tired trope when you can't even handle the main topic of this thread which is, again, the SUSPENSION OF CIVIL LIBERTIES FOR AMERICAN MUSLIMS.

2) autocracies by bullet do not equal all autocracies. Post-WW2 Japan is an anecdotal example.

3) Hitler won elections then seized further power by force. I don't know what point you're trying to make with somebody who suspended democracy and changed the rules midway.

None of this has anything to do with the current topic, and I personally don't care whether or not you think Hitler should have been killed with the same bullet he used to establish an autocracy.

And I still don't think you grasp what it means to support a democratic system as opposed to the parties within it.

Great, I don't. Agree to disagree. You can prefer the oogabooga fear of Muslim Brotherhood or the actual mass execution/torture and suppression of the press the Egyptian regime has been practicing for the past four decades.

Let's have a specific argument about this in a specific other thread if you think the Egyptian regime is doing better than what happened under the Muslim Brotherhood.

Do you understand how a republic works?

And how exactly is the Egyptian regime protecting freedom of speech by jailing journalists? Nevermind the other fundamental rights violated.

The difference between me and you is that I can call out anybody for those violations. You refuse to. I still haven't figured out why you feel the need to bring up your preference for the Egyptian regime in a thread about the SUSPENSION OF CIVIL LIBERTIES FOR AMERICAN MUSLIMS.

:rolleyes:

My entire argument was that an army coup that started with shootings of camps, and ended with mass execution/torture is not good, but somehow you've built this complete off-topic strawman of me from 2-3 years ago. Don't let me stop you now.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I've never understood why ATW brings up topics from years ago and then starts arguing them over again in a thread that is not even related to them.

Really odd behavior.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Intern: Understand the distinction between should not be and is not. Be quiet until you have intellectually processed the difference.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Do you have anything to say about the SUSPENSION OF CIVIL LIBERTIES FOR AMERICAN MUSLIMS or do you want to play pisspot on how to interpret your irrelevant writing? The fact that I accord the respect to reply at all to your off-topic ramblings in this thread is more than the level of argumentation you deserve, to be perfectly frank.

If it's the latter--great. Have a good day.

#135 Northside Storm, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016