1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

50" jump!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CoolColJ, Mar 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Damn, i'm 5' 9 and I am no where near that.....time to hit the weights

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Check out this Cuban volleyball player:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QoKhEiAHfYs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QoKhEiAHfYs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I thought verticals were without a running start?

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to add up to me. I'm 5'9" and also have video of myself doing this type of stuff, but while my feet look about the same height off the ground, my head is not even close to the rim (maybe 10" or so at best).

Impressive nonetheless, but I'm confused.

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Nice vertical, but have seen better...
    amazing dough...

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Looks pretty legit to me. Trying to guage vert by just eyeballing how far the feet are off the floor is pretty difficult.

If anybody's interested in working on their vert, Kelly Baggett is your man.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/index.html

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

As far as I know, squats don't really have much influence on your vertical. It's all in the calves.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

How high can you jump if you lock your knees and jump using only your feet?

10. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

This guy has at least a 46.5 inch standing vertical jump now!
    He said he can touch the top of square off a standing jump!
    His reach is 7'5" so do the sums :cool:

This is back when he was jumping 44 inches from a stand.
    [​IMG]

the head height never lies, the feet is always hard to tell due to the camera angle and the fact you point your toes down

I dunno I have not seen anyone with such a high combined standing + running VJ, he probably has the highest standing VJ in the world IMO.
    And certainly not at that bodyweight height combination.

don't worry more jump and dunks videos to come I assume

11. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

im pretty sure the squatting motion is exactly what i do when i do my 360 windmill jams....

12. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

I'll post some random quotes from him

---

seanjos, to answer your question i do train five days per week, sometimes a tempo run on sat. depending on what time of year it is. as for the vert, the biggest helper for me was the box squat. it took my vert and brought it to the next level. three years ago i measured 38.5, the next year 40.5 and now my 44 which was acutally last summer. it also added about 6 honest inches to my friends vert who trained with me last summer in a three month time period. the wide stance on the box squat really gets the hips involved.

first off my squat and vert always went hand in hand. my workouts are a combo of cf, elitetrack workouts, westside barbell, a bunch of other sites and sources and my own ideas. check these out and if you want a good squat check out westside barbell.
    as for box height it varies. parallel for me is about 16 inches, but i got the best results it seemed, as far as vert improvment, when i used an 18" box. the weight i was able to use was actually more than my squat.
    my friend started the summer with a three quarter squat with about 350 at a bw of 190. he did what i did and he squatted 495 to close out the summer, with a full squat. as to what helped my friend acheive the increase, it was probably both the box squat and the squat as we used them in short three week cycles. we also used the dynamic box squat, later on in the week in the offseason with about 50% of our maxes, concentrating on bar speed.
    as for my squat and how i got it. the first time i stepped under a squat rack i was able to do 315 (probably a three quarter squat looking back at best) but i was also a skinny 17 year old. i train by myself, always have except for the three months in the summer, and i use everything for motivation and i go balls to the wall. also, i always worked on my weakest link, whatever it was, whether it was hamstrings, butt, back, whatever, and made it my strong points. think about it, if every part of your body can squat 500 lbs but your hamstrings can only handle 400 lbs. than you need to work on your hamstrings.
    my core is strong from squatting or is it my squat is strong from doing core work. either way i have always pushed my strength levels for my core like i did any other bodypart. all guys go crazy over the benchpress, but what if they put the same effort into their core training, oly lifts, etc.
    i dont deadlift often, i usually do stiff legged deadlifts. for these i vary either using a snatch grip for more posterior chain involvement of just regular grip(using a hook grip of course). the weights i use for sld get over 450 lbs for reps. as for a regular deadlift i really dont know.
    my squat was just over 400 lbs not too long ago and my vert not much over 30, so you can make huge gains. hardwork, research, clean diet, and listening to your body will all help you get what you are looking for. but my biggets gains probably came from the oly lifts as i never did them before. dont neglect these lifts as the explosivness in these lifts is just what you are looking for in a vert jump. oh yeah and dont forget the track work !!!!
    hope this answers your questions and helps you obtain your goals.

my newest vert measurment is 46.5, inbetween sets of doing heavy snatches. i actually think that they may have helped my vert as i was still not at the peak of my weight in the workout. and if i had a graph that showed my vert jump and squat they would pretty much go hand in hand from when i was 17 until now. also my friend who added all that weight to his squat and "only" got 6 inches, was doing no sprinting or oly lifts as he wanted a break from them for the summer. he also had bad technique on the vert jump, but we werent too concerned with that as he was a sprinter

when i was about 10 years old and one of the shortest kids in my class, i knew i would some day dunk. all threw highschool i made it my obsession to get my vert up to par so that i could dunk. i remember doodling on my notes in class about my very programs, what i needed to get my vert to dunk, and i even had pictures drawn to scale of me jumping and the b-ball rim. i would be at the gym all the time. i figured that there may be more talented guys, but nobody was going to out work me, and i still have that same mentality today.i had/have a chip on my shoulder to be the best. when i finally dunked, i was so happy but i wasnt even close to being satisfied. i was excited dont get me wrong, but i had bigger plans. i remember the day i first dunked i was with my prom date, and she was a great girl and all, but all i could think about was that i dunked and how excited i was, lol (we didnt work out) my next goal was a 40 inch vert. once i acheived that, i wanted bigger. i hit 42.5, then i turned my training into more strength and speed oriented stuff and it went to 46.5 without major vert emphasis. and here i am. where do i go from here? well i have other athletic goals that i am trying to acheive but you better beleive that everything that i am training for, though not vert specific, is explosive in nature and my vert is always in the back of my mind. in hindsight, i am proud of myself for busting my ass and always going that extra mile that nobody else was willing to go. i think that vert jumping is a mentality, like almost anything else in life. the proof is that i have three good friends who i train with, and two have legit 40's and one a legit 38.5. these are guys who when i first knew them were in the 20's but wanted the vert improvements almost as much as me. we worked our asses off and got big gains, now go do the same

well i had dunked several other times before the one i described, but it was never in front of anybody and probably not on a legit 10 foot rim. when i dunked for the first time, in front of people, i was a senior in highschool. the funny thing is, i tried about 10 times that day and couldnt get it, finally i dunked one and dunked it easy. after that i dunked about 4 more times in a row. its as if i broke a mental barrier.

13. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

he has a 11'7" standing long jump as well BTW

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Actually, the quads and hamstrings are more important than the calves for jumping. Squats (deadlifts too maybe?) are the probably the most important lifts for increasing your jumping ability. There are actually a lot of short, stocky powerlifters that have big verticals because of this.

15. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

more like the glutes :)

big strong ass = hops :D

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Those guys are good, but they aren't world class...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KhF1c4InaMo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KhF1c4InaMo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Training...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVZ3ZcorTF0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVZ3ZcorTF0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Speed and jumping = twitch muscles.

Stefan Holm is under 6 feet as well.

17. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

his actual rise of his centre of gravity isn't that high in the 2nd clip.

focus on his hips, it isn't going that high

18. WillG

WillG Member

I went from only being able to squat 150 to 350 in a year and my vertical didnt increase much. Maybe an inch

19. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

What qualifies as high? That looks like 40 inches plus to me.

20. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

allow your body to recover and do some plyos and it should go up, unless your bodyweight went up or is over 160lbs :)
    Anyone with a squat at least double bodyweight, fullsquat that is, and has good movement effeciency, jump technique and speed should be able to vertical jump at least 30 inches, but 32 is more like it.

When I weighed 205lbs at 5'9", I was doing fullsquats with 255lbs with a pause for sets of 3 and I could vertical jump 32 inches and jump 36 off a run, and I was fat with 17% bodyfat.
    I'm dieting right now and I hope to get down to 160-170lbs, 6-8% bodyfat and if I can get my fullsquat back up to my personal best of 385lbs and a powerclean around 250lbs I bet I will vertical jump over 40 inches! :eek: