1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 year old's gun goes off at school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

LOL, nice. I was going to say that, or, if he wasn't armed then it wouldn't deter another 5 year old from going on a violent shooting spree...or, if guns were outlawed then only criminal 5 year olds would have one,etc, etc.
    Clearly violence and accidental gun shot wounds would increase if we weren't allowed to own guns...

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Likely it was a pistol, even though revolvers aren't much in use anymore I'd have to say they're much safer, had bad experiences with pistols, I'm practically scared of picking one up.

Just loading one by pulling the topback made it go off and made me go wtf in my pants. Good thing that utmost safety was always practiced and I was told to KEEP IT POINTED AWAY FROM ANYONE AT ALL COSTS. I hate dumb****s that'll point guns and say they aren't loaded so its ok.

Which brings up another time. Magazine was taken out and there was thought to be no bullet in there but even though you check due to the spring action pushing it up, it must have gotten stuck. And while I was checking it it went off.

**** guns. I feel like my mom all those times she used to tell me how uncomfortable she was.

Gun licenses aren't hard to get , only the extremely well trained should be given the privileged. Even though there are many who practice great care, the number of r****ds for every group of those is far too many.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

For drop safety, revolvers have exposed hammers and the ones made decades ago might go off if dropped in a PERFECT manner.

It is possible to rack the slide and have it go off but the pistol would have to be in terrible terrible shape. You most likely had your finger on the trigger.

Taking the mag out just takes out the loading system, it does not mean the gun is unloaded.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

cuz i always keeps one in the chamber.

5. Bandwagoner

If the gun is a modern (last 30 years to be super safe) design, and in working condition, it is safe from drops and won't go off unless you pull the trigger.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Taken from the article after it was edited from more developed details. CaseyH is right. It's hard to believe a handgun would be so sensitive as to misfire from dropping it, too, or else there'd be much more accidental shootings.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Good old reliable CPS decides not take custody of the child.

The mom needs to be in jail.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am curious how much pressure does it take on the trigger to cause the gun to fire?

Also to add that I've heard that Glocks don't have separate safeties but rely on the trigger mechanism. I don't know if this gun was a Glock but just wondering how would a Glock prevent something like this from happening, discharging from accidental contact with the trigger?

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah pretty much but I don't think it really matters though. That part on Jensen is pretty bad. I hated riding the damn bus through there back in the day.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No , there is a lock on it you can turn on, nothing really gives me solace though.

You're supposed to clear a pistol about three times by reloading it because they are so notorious for getting bullets stuck in the barrel.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

everybody guages stuff in a different manner. I have only done it about 10-15 times, but it is something you would forcefull press. Its not a simple click.

How a 5 year managed to along with the whole situation just baffles me.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only pistol I've ever fired was a .45 automatic and that seemed to take at least a pound of force to pull. It didn't seem like something that just grabbing it would cause it to fire without actually squeezing the trigger. That's why I'm wondering about a 5 year old just grabbing the gun to keep it from falling causing it to discharge.

13. Bandwagoner

If he grabbed the trigger it isn't all that mysterious. He pulled the trigger, the gun went off.

Typical trigger pull on a revolver is 5-6 pounds for double action and 2 pounds for single action. Single action is when the hammer is already cocked.

You cannot blame a gun designer for a negligent discharge from a 5 year old. Even if it had an external safety what are the chances it would be engaged?