1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Reasons Why I Think The Rockets Could Be Better Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I'm In agreement with everything you wrote except for Dorsey possibly having the same type of impac as asik. I don't see that ever happening.

Good post and feels good to read something positive for a change.

2. afk

afk Member

Good read. But, it still doesn't erase the fact that it's still all a bunch of "what ifs". And this uncertainty continues until the season starts. In short, I REALLY want Basketball season to start soon. :(

3. Jo3yBo3y

Jo3yBo3y Member

Me le gusta!

We as Red Nation must stay positive! TJ can be a Odem (without the crack) but on steroids with his ability to push the ball from anywhere on the court and finish strong. Trey Daniel's quick trigger finger reminds me of a young Jesus Shuttlesworth. If only we had a coach that could run Trey Daniels between road blocks of screens using Howard and TJ.

Lets hope McHale will take that 3rd year leap since his first season was a short one with us.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik loss isn't as big as people seem to think. Rockets were playing very well even without Asik. Jeremy Lin is a big name, but in reality he was an average point guard.

Rockets still need to sign a backup center like Jermaine Oneal or Emeka Okafor to give Dwight rest and to replace if he's injured. I love Motiejunas as a backup combo big, but I just can't see him stepping in for Dwight if he misses games.

Rockets biggest need at the moment is a versatile backup wing player like a Shawn Marion. A veteran player like Chauncey Billups (no clue if he's still playing) as a locker room guy would help.

Question Marks:

• Will Patrick Beverly keep up his defensive play? Usually with meniscus problems, (and it showed in the playoffs) players usually lose some quickness.
    • Will Harden actually step up full-time on defense? He made comments last summer also saying that his goal was to guard the other teams best scorers etc. If he's even average defensively, there is no reason this team can't be a top 6-7 defense with a competent defensive coordinator.
    • Can Ariza keep up his 3-pt shooting numbers? I'm optimistic he can, but it's still a question mark.
    • Can Isiah Canaan replace the production Jeremy Lin gave us (Assuming no other PG is brought in).

Assuming Terrence Jones takes the next step and the answer to those questions is a yes, this team will win 57+ wins.

I still believe Chandler Parsons was a product of Harden and Howard (he will still play very well in Dallas as a product because of Carlisle) and that Trevor Ariza can do a good job filling in the offensive gap left by Parsons.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I probably agree with it since I have a positive view of the Rox but...

[​IMG]

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great write up. thanks...definitely hopeful. Liked the Daniels points

7. MONON

MONON Member

crash didn't crash and burn, but he did light a positive fire in clutchfans! Great and much needed article.

8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

For those that cautioned on the optimism because of the large amounts of youth / inexperience on our bench, I think that is a valid point.

HOWEVER, I do not think our bench as currently constructed will be the same come the start of the season.

(1) I think we acquire a vet PG
    (2) I think we add some depth / experience / height in the front court

F Shawn Marion for 2 years on the rest of the MLE
    C Emaka Okafor for 2 years on BAE

I think our opening roster will look something like this:
    Rox 2014 - 2015
    PG Dragic (or Rondo or etc.) // P. Beverley // I. Smith
    SG J. Harden // T. Daniels // N. Johnson
    SF T. Ariza // T. Jones // R. Covington
    PF S. Marion // C. Capela // J. Adrien
    C D. Howard // E. Okafor // J. Dorsey

I'm not sure who, but I also suspect Morey will not let Lin's $8M TPE go to waste

9. joesr

joesr Member

Why do people think Jones is good defensively??? Dont confuse weak side blocks for good defense. This dude has a hard time rotating and being a hybrid he is weaker and lighter than your average starting fours so backing him down is easy. Cmon now.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If the NBA was a stock market, then Morey would be the most aggressive growth trader ever.

Every single one of our young players will make large strides forward heading into this year. We all know that. What we don't know is how much they will improve. Until we start getting games under our belt, however, those young assets we have will be impossible to move from Morey's standpoint, because no one will offer fair value for them right now. Everyone will estimate their production to the downside, and we'll have to force the idea down other GMs' throats that these young guys are really as good as we are saying they are.

Guys like Jones, Motiejunas, Canaan, Daniels, and maybe even Capella are going to have a fighting chance for significant playing time. Now it's up to them to show they deserve it. By January or so, whoever does show up will then become a piece that Morey could dangle, along with the first round pick, for another team's disgruntled superstar. I know y'all hate this idea of prospects as assets, but that's how our team is being run right now. Everything is towards the goal of getting that third star. The rest will come later. And guys like Dorsey and Adrien should prove good stopgaps. Their value should be pretty much set, so I doubt those guys are going anywhere anytime soon.

11. Dream Shake 81

I like it!

Crash,

I would love to read some more..

Would you be able to expand on the scenarios that would have to happen in order for the Rockets to take advantage of this ??
    Ex.) Lineup combinations etc.

12. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Great post OP.

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

That is very possible, but if that happens, it is still inline with the original post since it will improve the team with the return asset(s) ;).

I know, I'm not allowed to call them assets....see Chandler Parsons

14. Exel

Exel Member

The defense on the starting line up has improved with the addition of Ariza, but the defense of the bench unit will be abysmal. Sure some of the rooks might be good man on man defenders, but it's the more complex stuff, when to help and where to help, is where they will come up short. Unfortunately we don't have a guru defensive coach to help with them with that stuff.

15. apugh832

apugh832 Member

I agree w/ most of your post though I do think Alonzo Gee (SG/SF) is going to surprise everyone on Clutchfans. Ariza has the defensive label but IMO I believe Gee will be the best defender in a tickets uniform.

Gee can guard 1-3 no doubt, and depending on lineups Gee can guard a few PF'S.

Strong, freakishly athletic, defensive 1st mindset, and know his role. Mot not know it as of today, but Gee was a BIG TIME addition.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Deck, I'm not really sure what kind of defensive player he is but it's hard for me to imagine anyone playing in Shaka Smart's "Havoc" defense (similar to Rick Pitino's 90 feet of hell) not at least making a good effort on defense. I'm anxious to find out.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I've read every post in this thread and I'm not sure anyone has claimed TJones is a good defensive PF. In my OP and in the original video I point out that TJ needs to get stronger and take a step forward as a defensive player. Since he is only 22 and this is only his 2nd season as a starter and his 3rd in the NBA, I expect some improvement from him in that area.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Joey Dorsey will be a solid backup for Dwight and surprise a lot of fans next season. Write.that.down.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Thanks for the optimism. I legitimately appreciate having something positive to read.

A lot of it is centered on the idea that our existing players were set to improve anyways, which I have always been a big proponent of - it's why you put a young team with young stars and don't try too hard to get veteran talent before the core is ready.

That said that innate bonus was set to apply whether Parsons and Bosh were on the team or not - so it's not like we can pretend we didn't need them because of all our youth. We needed them like hell, it was just bad pricetag and bad luck respectively.

The bench is promising - promising is not the same as good. Lin and Asik were good NBA players. Not one guy on the bench I trust to be that. But it'll be fun to see how they mesh.

I'm actually quite confident in the starting lineup. Beverley and Ariza aren't stars, but they are exactly how you complement your Harden and Howard if you have one. Jones is a wildcard but could indeed have a good year.

20. CertifiedTroll

I am getting pumped to see Troy Daniels play again. That game winner was the highlight of the season for me. But Jeff Adrien is a center/pf type, not a back up for Ariza, right?