1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Greatest Shots in Rockets History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As for memorable Regular Season shots...

What about Mike Dunleavy making a half-court shot to reach the all important 135th point mark in a game!

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Probably not a contender for this list, but one of my faves. Mad max shot to send it to overtime and the victory. 18-1.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zhfV6xE2zao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0idEHGQFlP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Great list - brings back the feels.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To go back to the 1994-1995 theme here, this was the shot that made me a fan as a 10yr old. I practiced all my threes kicking my heels into my ass after this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkLBdKF3u08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hahaha Drexler ruined my jump shot for me as a teenager, I thought that stupid kick was somehow tied to performance.

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

no kidding. I had a house full at the time. Just an awesome time in Rockets history. I don't want to dig out the tapes, do you recall what max's three made the score to be? Did we go up by 7 with that shot with 1.5 minutes?

8. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

You named some of the first ones that came to mind for me as well. I'm 28 now so I was a freshman in high school for Yao-Shaq 1 and I remember that game soooo vividly.

Here are Steve Francis' full highlights from that game. Warning, watching this video may induce tears.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/73DCIt4YQZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

1. Maxwell's dagger in Game 7 vs Knicks
    2. Kiss of Death by Mario the Legend
    3. Ralph hitting the shot over the top of the Lakers at the buzzer
    4. John Starks trying to shoot over Hakeem in Game 6 vs Knicks (it doesn't say 'made by a Rocket')
    5. Kenny Smith's awkward spin shot vs Magic in Game 1

bulkatron, you messed up your jumper for nothing. Baby Seal Clubber doesn't get his heels anywhere close to his buttocks.

10. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson should make the list—it was such a great moment, and to see Hakeem smiling and chanting "Eddie" afterward was awesome.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That Dream tip is amazing not only for the game and the series, but also in the sense that if you go back and look at the end of the NC State game he has that same look on his face. It's like he's wondering in both cases, "Did it count?"

Yao on Shaq that first game that showed us all he was a baller is memorable, but not quite as epic as the others.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Made it 83-75 with 1:48 to go. That was THE moment in NBA history to me. Can't begin to describe the feeling.

Hakeemtheking and bacliff like this.
  13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Man, what could have been. Fitch discovered he had a serviceable point guard in Robert Reid that gave him a 6-8 body to lean on Magic which allowed McCray to stay on Worthy. Whipping the Lakers in 5. Might have even swept had we not been fatigued for the double OT win against Denver.

Unfortunately, we lost the Boston series on March 24th of 86. The Rockets were rolling agains that Celtics in Boston where only the Blazers won that year. Then came the fall. Sampson who was having an amazing game fell hard to the floor and was never able to exercise that demon in Boston.

Then of course Lloyd and Wiggins joined John Lucas the following years and the dynasty fell before it started.

Hakeemtheking and Plowman like this.
  14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I like Horry's shot in game 3 of the '95 finals against Orlando

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Not as big given the context, but pretty incredible:

- Maxwell gamewinner against the Warriors - YouTube says it's 12/29/94, but I would swear it was earlier than that;

- Maxwell gamewinner against Heat (12/9/93);

- Troy Daniels' gamewinning three pointer against Portland - I just loved seeing a hardworking kid make the most of his opportunity.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Ron Artest > than any implementation of Lebron James the Rockets have ever faced before in that game.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would have Kenny at 1, his shot broke the magics back, and their psyche, and pretty well gave us the game and the series. In so many ways it encapsulated the fairy tale run of that championship.

18. monster

monster Member

I have to give Sampson's shot the #1. Not only was it a huge win, but it was darn near a miracle circus shot. I remember the game didn't start until 9 or so. Took a nap after school so I could stay up late. The Lakers were almost invincible, but this shot beat them. Michael Cooper's reaction says it all.

bacliff likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd rate Sampson's shot the greatest of all time simply because nobody believed we could beat the mighty Lakers, and Hakeem's performance in that series shocked the world. "We knew he was good. But not THIS good!" (I think it was Magic's words.)

Also, Nick Anderson's FT should be an honorable mention. :grin:

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Ralph Sampson is the greatest shot ever in Rockets history. 1st championship series and beating the Lakers (they were like the current New England Patriots).