1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Essential components of a Houston-area strip center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Mar 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

no, but your condescending attitude is very transparent and very annoying.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I believe that's your own inferiority complex rearing its ugly head. I love where I live and I'm happy that others love where they're living. I feel a need to stick up for the suburbs in general because I don't understand why people who don't live out here feel a need to bad mouth it. Where I choose to live my life shouldn't concern you. Your choice certainly doesn't mean one iota to me.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

cellphone retailer, preferably not a major chain

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Well said.

Further, I don't understand why people hate strip centers so much. They are a relatively low cost way to bring goods and services into a market. If all you had were malls and stand alone buildings, and the higher rent associated with them, they may find it cost prohibitive to enter that new area. It brings new competition in, and that is a good thing.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I agree. I love the suburbs and wouldn't want to live in town. I like the peace and quiet we can get in our neighborhood yet we are close enough to pretty much everything we need and\or want. I guess I'm not "cultured" enough to appreciate the city.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I like living in the Jersey Village area (290 & Beltway).

Its close to Downtown, Galleria, and Greenway (where I work), plus its affordable! There are some nice restaurants nearby on Jones Rd., and 1960 is close with Target, Home Depot, etc.

Although I like the convenience of strip centers, they are an eyesore, with waaaaaaay too many parking spaces than are ever needed - even during the busy shopping seasons. My favorite example is The Great Indoors on I-10 close to the Beltway. They literally have 5 billion parking spaces stretching all the way out to the feeder road - why? Nobody ever shops there in the first place - even on weekends.

My pet peeve in Houston is clear cutting trees for more shopping and parking.... Nothing fumes me more... :mad: Can't we adapt some guidelines like Austin where you have to work around the natural landscape and can't just go cutting down every tree in sight??

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's what I dig about Kingwood. You can barely see the strip centers because of all the trees.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This can be true, for sure. But it doesn't have to be. Areas that retain property values have strip centers that last for years. There are strip centers all down Memorial Drive which are surrounded by neighborhoods with properties inflating like crazy. Those strip centers are sitting on extremely valuable land, now and are leased out. They're retaining tenants for years and years. There is no room to build a new one without knocking something else down.

The success of a strip center is tied to the area surrounding it. As long as its doing well, the strip center can too...or it will be knocked over and turned into something else.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya...but that's not a strip center. It's a stand-alone building.

10. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. It's a cycle: build, after 10 years or so remodel, and at some point later, tear down & rebuild. It all depends on the area they're in.

And isn't saying "they're convenient, but don't do anything else for the surrounding community" kind of like saying "sure, that auto shop fixes your car, but..." Like refman said, that's their sole purpose.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The Woodlands excels at this as well.

12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I like strip centers, but damn there are too many opening up. Near my parent's place off 2920, there is one with a mexican restaurant, barber shop, and school uniform place. The entire center is only half occupied, has been that way for years. So what does the developer do? Build a new one right across the street! Why have one half full strip center when you can have two? What is that all about?

I too am concerned with all the trees being cut down in the city. Seems like there is regard for keeping the city green. I am not a enviromentalist at all, but damn can we keep some trees?

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i agree with you there, but that rarely - if ever - happens in the suburbs, which was one of the reasons i hated living there (spring). shopping centers everywhere with no regard to the natural surrounding or community impact. as soon as their uselfullness is through in 5 or 10 years, it's cheaper to just tear down some trees and build a new one than renovate the old one. next thing you know you have shopping centers right next to more shopping centers right next to more shopping centers. it's wasteful (destroying natiral land, encouraging automobile usage), kills any sense of community, and is an eyesore... all in the name on convenience.

granted, this happens everywhere in houston where zoning is a foreign word.

i just find it hard to believe that there's anyone out there that just "loves" shopping centers.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The newer ones out in the Cinco Ranch area in Katy are nice because they have limits on the height of the signs, much like Kingwood and The Woodlands.

I guess I'm using the term strip center and shopping center interchangably, if that's even a word. The new Market Square in The Woodlands or La Centerra in Katy are great and yes, I love them. Good restaurants, shops, and sitting areas.

I've noticed the newer more stereotypical strip centers are looking a lot nicer than they ever have too.

Now, I'll go back to dodging the inner-city snobs.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I like how they die the fake ponds a nice artificial blue in places like Fairfield etc. Some of those places just feel like some bizarre science experiment. It creeps me out.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My girlfriend used to live out there and took me buy her old house since I had never been out there. Other than the abandoned crap at the entrance and the fact that it's on 290, I wouldn't mind living out there. I certainly never got the feel of a "bizarre science experiment".

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You have been successfully assimilated to living quadrant 34Xbi.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Your mom's been successfully assimilated to living quadrant 34Xbi.