1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Candidates for next Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Arthurprescott2

Exactly. Jorts was at Kentucky for 3 or 4 years. If he didn't learn how important work ethic and staying in shape/getting better in the off-season are to success in the NBA, then he just doesn't want it badly enough. Some people might say "cut him some slack" cause he's only starting his 2nd year in the league, but "real" players, the type Houston should want/get, come with work ethic starting from day one. Those are the players I respect the most and who make it in this league even if hampered by limitations. Also, players who can't stay in shape are the ones who get injured most frequently, usually with groin pulls (see: Melo).

2. sparky

sparky Member

There is a case that Gilbert Arenas or Ginobili was the last Jermey Lin. Although Arenas was drafted 30th and Ginobili 57th.

Arenas was more of a come from no where sensation in my opinion.

3. alethios

alethios Member

This thread is making me think we really have something in this Jeremy Lin guy.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the Lin & Lamb show - it should be entertaining.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Marc Gasol was nice too. No one expected him to be good. He was added in the trade for Pau Gasol as an afterthought and he ended up being the best piece for the Grizzlies.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Those guys got drafted, and played for their respective teams. Jeremy Lin was cut multiple times, and really not given a chance, until he was pretty much the only bullet left.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

I hear you. In related news: Jorts to the Heat?

Josh Harrellson ‏@BigJorts55
    Tired of it... Miami here I come Wednesday! Let's have a good workout

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Arian Foster.
    Undrafted, unheralded.
    Got his chance in a meaningless game at the end of the season. (Jeremy got his chance because the Knicks had no choice; kind of similar)
    Promoted to starting position on their respective teams.
    Media hype for both of them.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well - Arian is the man. But I guess I meant to limit my example to NBA players.

What Lin did is amazing, and I think people are discrediting it by expecting there to be another Jeremy Lin soon. It only happens a few times per decade if you ask me.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't follow football at all, but Victor Cruz had somewhat of a breakout season as well from what I heard, vaguely. Anyway BSPN is still trying hard to beat the Jeremy Lin drum to be honest. Not mean't to discredit but to just attract hits. That is the media for you.

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

There is probably never going to be another story like this and it shouldn't. A guy who 99% of people in US Basketball was wrong about, in a week's time shows what he can do for himself and for the team. All the while, he was humble and a team first guy, something 99% of the ego's in this league can learn from. He outplayed and scored against some of the best players and teams in the league and caused the Knicks to go on and make the playoffs.
    Wouldn't it be funny if people all of a sudden started looking for another Lin story and teams starting signing D-leaguers and other young bucks who according to scouting reports is nothing special hoping they will emulate Jeremy's performance and impact :)