1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Best Fan Bases in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Mar 11, 2013.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. Chicago Bulls
    2. Utah Jazz
    3. Golden State Warriors
    4. Oklahoma City Thunder/Seattle Supersonics
    5. Boston Celtics
    6. Los Angeles Lakers
    7. San Antonio Spurs
    8. Sacramento Kings
    9. New York Knicks

2. likestohypeguy

What if "best" is which fan base consistently provides biggest HCA for their team, vs. ticket prices, sales, ratings, etc. Utah & OKC? Arena design might be too much a factor.

3. what

what Member

this^

The warriors are on a different level. Portland is another.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fan bases? What team has a fan site like ClutchFans with 46,850 members, as of today. Are there any out there with more members? Anyone know? I'm a bit surprised that no one has pointed out that the Rockets quite possibly have the largest single group of fans following their team on a BBS. I'm talking about a local fansite, not the running jokes out there, like the ESPN boards. Again, what other team has the equivalent of ClutchFans with a larger number of members?

As for the crowds at the ToyBox, as has been pointed out about a thousand times here, if you convince the fans in Houston that you are a winning team, a team with success in the playoffs, they will come and they will be loud as hell. What's bad about the Toyota Center, something I don't like myself at all, is the design. You have the more affordable seats way up where you need an oxygen mask to breath while you watch games, and then you have a lower bowl where the best seats are largely owned by corporations, wealthy business people and the like, whose seats often sit empty, glaringly empty, unless we are a seriously competitive team, a playoff team, a "hot ticket." It's like the place was designed to look empty when those high rollers and corporations don't fill their season ticket seats, a stupid flaw in the design, in my opinion. The upper bowl can be packed, and if you're watching on TV, all those thousands of folks gasping for oxygen can barely be seen.

My opinion, of course.

5. Franchize

Franchize Member

I don't know why you guys keep leaving Toronto out. Toronto has one of the best crowds

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah but do other teams' fan bases have 99ers??

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

I'd have to agree and even outside of having that, they have some of the best fans on the internet IMO.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Out of genuine curiosity, why is Sacramento not higher on people's list?

They have sucked for YEARS and yet still have sold out crowds which they all attend and cheer for the game. I remember when they DID have the Jason Williams/Webber that place was LOUD!

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I just find it hard to put NY up ahead of teams like Golden State and Sacramento when they (Knicks' fan base) will openly boo their own team frequently during losing games.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Wow. I just looked at their attendance. Sorry, I was wrong it seems. IT just always seems that way.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Going off that graph, I'm surprised Memphis is so low on the spectrum.

They're a good team that's playoff bound, and they play blue collar basketball. And I'm pretty sure most people residing in Memphis are blue collar.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I live in Chicago, no way the Bulls are #1. They are way behind the Bears, Cubs and White Sox in popularity and right now are behind the Blackhawks.

Utah, Sacramento, Seattle, Portland, OKC, LA, NY and GS all are far more rabid than Chicago Bulls fans. Lets put it this way, the Bulls are preparing for the playoffs and the return of Rose and all the discussion is the Bears off season and spring training with a sprinkling of Blackhawks.... the Bulls just are not "it" in Chicago and even when Jordan was in town the Bears and Cubs were more popular.

Because the NBA is the "3rd" league, the most passionate fans tend to be in cities that lack NFL and MLB teams.

Hell the Celtics are waaaaay behind the Red Sox and Pats in Boston.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol I don't think it's that much different from other team sites like lakersground or spurstalk. I know people here like to look down on other team sites like they're so stupid but have you seen some of the threads here? Just as dumb as some of those lakersgrounds threads. I'm sure fans of other teams read threads here and are like "WTF is wrong with these guys" like we do with others :grin:

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

I would say the Rockets would be in the bottom 5.

15. Asian Sensation

This plus the Blazers. Even when Portland went through the Jail Blazer era fans backed them and even when they're rebuilding like the past couple years they've always had a loyal following.

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

Having lived in the Dallas media market for about 5 years in the early to mid-90's, it cracks me up to hear anyone talk about how awesome Mavs fans are. :) When I was there, they literally had ticket promotions through Taco Bueno where if you bought a certain number of tacos you got a free ticket. I used to go catch the Rockets at Reunion Arena nearly every time they played there because you could get down in the floor seats for next to nothing.

17. SeabrookMiglla

ive gotten floor seats and was yelling, and people were lookin at me like "??????" and i was like !??!!??!? did you see chuck hayes pwn blake griffin!!?!

18. jello77

jello77 Member

This is wrong. While they aren't the most popular team in the city, they are up there with any team other than the Bears. The White Sox play to half empty stadiums every single game, so they're MUCH more popular than the Sox. Even the Cubs don't sell out every game anymore--you could get Cubs tickets for under a dollar on Stubhub last season.

The Bulls lead the league in attendance (and did when Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry were leading the team to 12 wins) and have a rabid following of fans--this is a great basketball town. Yeah, people talk Bears a lot, but is there a city that exists where the NFL isn't #1? The Bulls get a significant amount of coverage and you can barely turn around downtown without seeing people rocking Bulls paraphernalia.

Where in Chicago do you live? I realize it might be different if you're in the suburbs.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sactown has had pretty terrible crowds since they sucked.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And Cuban has turned that around to where they can suck and still sell out.