1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4th Quarter collapses, a Rocket tradition (why worry?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 18, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

After getting over the frustration of the Mavericks loss, and another 4th quarter collapse, I began thinking about how long these have been going on, and what I recall shocked me a little bit.

The 4th quarter collapse is a Rocket's tradition, every Rocket team has had this problem, which made me think, hey...this is really no big deal.

If you think back to the championship years, the very first team choked 2 home games to the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs, losing double digit leads in both losses.

In fact in the 2nd one they had a 20 point lead and blew it - AT HOME -.....the Houston Chronicle called them "Choke City" ...because of those loses combined with the Oilers collapse at Buffalo....it felt like a jinx....

But what happened? Did the team buy in? NO !!...Rudy took them aside and told them..."You know what, we built those leads by playing well, all we have to do is continue playing well and we will be ok".....

Lo and behold the team came roaring back and "CLUTCH CITY" was born.

So, I feel a lot better, it is not really a trait, but more a matter of execution and trusting the plan and your teamates.

This is how greatness is born from failure....and when the team is tired of failing, they will rally together and do something great.

I think it starts here, it starts now.....Portland......YOU HAVE A PROBLEM !!!!

DD

2. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

(May 13-15, 1994) Two hours after blowing the biggest lead in NBA playoff history, the Rockets flew out of Choke City down 0-2 to the Phoenix Suns. Four days later, the Rockets flew into Clutch City with the series tied 2-2. In Game 1 of the 1994 Western Conference Semifinals, Houston built an 18-point lead but lost. In Game 2, they had a 20-point lead in the fourth quarter but lost in overtime. "I'll never forget getting on the charter flight after Game 2," Rockets television commentator Bill Worrell said. "It was like a morgue." The Rockets didn't rise from the dead until the second half of Game 3 when they found themselves behind 49-41 at halftime. Then Vernon Maxwell got hot, scoring 31 points in the second half as the Rockets won 118-102. Houston finished "Desert Sweep" by winning Game 4, 107-96, to even the series.

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

the problem is defenses tighten up and play us differently in the second half. it's almost like they let us get what we want in the first half, only to switch it up and play "real" defense in the second. i would be worried if we were playing a more experienced team but i dont think portland has the experience to switch defenses like other teams.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This gives me no comfort. One of the Blazers specialties all season long is big 2nd half runs to erase deficits. The Rockets cannot allow that to happen. Every time they get up by 10-15 points, the one thought that will be on my mind is "FINISH!". The Blazers always keep plugging away and they never give up. You can always count on them to make a run whenever they fall behind, even if they don't end up winning the game. I think they are near the top in games won after trailing by 10/15 points and games won trailing at halftime and at the end of the 3rd quarter.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We have to fight and claw minute by minute without losing our concentration for long periods if we are to stop the Blazers from making a run at us. Do we have what is takes to come back during a game after blowing a big lead? Only time will tell if we can get the job done. They haven't been able to do it so far,which is a cause for major concern.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

do coaches ever call timeouts to stop their OWN momentum? because when we were up 14 against the Mavs I think it would have been a good time to collect their thoughts and focus on the final task at hand...

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Adelman doesn't call a timeout to stop the other team momentum so I definitely don't expect him to do it stop the Rockets momentum.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is all about focus and trust.....

DD

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

There is nothing worse than watching a team get a big lead and then start playing not to lose. I think it's almost entirely on the coach to pull the players to the side and get their minds right and/or immediately bring in reserves who have been observing the game and can see what the guys on the court are or are not doing.

A little less inspiration and a little more coaching during games please, Rick.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

but did those teams have a history of of collapsing in high stake games prior to the postseason for several seasons straight and several times per season.. going into their first championship run..?

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I remember during the Dream era couple times they'd get into the congratulatory luv-ya-man mode. And I'm thinking yeah YEEAH!...okay, 4 minutes left....

Since then, Rockets when they're good they're #3 to 6 seed good. One of the better teams but not quite upper elite. Good enough to win, but not top-of-the line 60 win team that can smoke through their opponents at will.

Might be cliche but Rockets need hard work, consistent effort and focus the entire 48 minutes and overtimes. As Dream would say, 100 Puhcent EFFOTT. Think of themselves as a good team from a mid-major conference going up against the major schools. Its how the Blazers are going to approach it. Rockets need to do that too

13. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

In 1986, the Rockets didn't beat out the Lakers in that WCF without coming up big in 4th quarters in each of their wins. I can remember coming into that series how the Lakers owned them in 4th quarters all the time.

I think that this team should look at some film from that series that showed how that team performed in those 4th quarters to enable them to knock off the Showtime Lakers.

14. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Dakota, i heard you on 1560 yesterday, you had honey in your voice broseph, good call. :D

15. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Well I hope you're right, but I just don''t feel safe with this team even when we'll up by 10 or more points like I would with the old Rockets. The way we have blown leads this season has been heartbroken, we need to do a better job of staying focus just like you said DD even if we'll up or down by 10 or more points.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this ain't your daddy's rockets. sorry, i have a bad feeling about this series just like i did about last year's against the Jazz. i'll be rooting and screaming my head off but won't be the least surprised if we bounce in the first round...again.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

yes.. as i hinted at with my first post in this thread.. somehow i doubt that those championship Rockets such a flawed trend the stretched over so many years.. in the history of their repertoire.. in their path to those rings..

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

had such a flawed trend that stretched over etc... ^

19. foo82

foo82 Member

I remember one season where the rockets closed out games really well. It was either 06-07 or 05-06 season....can't remember which.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't have a good feeling with Yao Ming and Ron Artest as the leaders of this team, their basketball personalities are too much of an extreme of one side. One is too passive at times and the other is too aggressive at times. And those times happen alot in the 4th qtr.