1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 Things the TEXANS NEED this offseason.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bilaal14, Feb 25, 2010.

1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Man through watching the texans all year, i kno excatly wat they are lacking. Take notes.

1. First and foremost. The CB spots are up in the air. Through tthe course of 7 games into the season our CBs has 0 picks, and then reeves finally got one in the bills game. The season total for ints by out CB was horrible and it stood at 3 at the end of the season. Even BC had 4 himself lol. Safty postions i think are set. with Bernad and eugne wilson. They did a heck of a job during the season before wilson got injured. That CB spot will need to get addressed.

2. If you see any team that can contend, they always have a tandom of legit PASS RUSHERs. With big offseason signing of Antonio SMith we thought we had something special but all hopes were crushed wen he delievered a sub-par season at best. That need going to get filled come training camp.... See More

3. RB. WOW. where do i start. Anybody is a + over chris brown, the man LOST us like 3 games last year. So taht makes us really 12-4 lol. With steve slaton coming off a buldging disk in his neck. WE will have to sign someone that can be out 3rd down back. I think ryan moats is good but the man is wayy too undersized. Araian Foster, i think is gonna be special, and i think he WILL Start the texans opener lol.

4. Last, but def not least. WE will have to let the tradtion of being choke city go. All the bad plays, missed kicks, and ints by RB in the end zone will have to leave quickly for us to be succuessful.

Conclusion: I think behind the powerful areial attack, and the tenascious OLB MLB OLB spots that were #1 in stopping the run in the last 8 games. The TExans can get 12 to 13 wins next sesaon. And have a shot to contend.

GO TEXANS.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im not too concerned about our DE's...However, we need to get a DT.

Also, a new C or OG is a must as well.

My list of needs:
    CB/S
    DT
    C/OG
    RB

With the departure of Dunta, I think our biggest need would be to use our first pick on someone in the secondary. We need a playmaker back there because we truly lack that game changer in the backfield.

Our DT's just arent productive. We need a beast in the middle. I wanted Wilfork, but thats not gonna happen, so we really need to search for someone that can take up space and collapse the pocket. Thatll make things much easier for our DE's.

As for the need to upgrade C...refer to week 1 versus the Jets. Nuff said.

RB is clearly an area we need to shore up...Im hopeful that Slaton can bounce back and have a rebound season. Im looking forward to seeing what Foster can do on the field. But, we need someone we can rely on to pound it in. I wouldnt necessarily feel the need to use a high pick here, but whether through the draft of free agency, we need to throw someone else into the mix.

3. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

you're out of your element. They're not winning 12-13 games with that brutal schedule.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if NE would go for a trade: Dunta for Wilfork? Maybe we even sign Leigh Bodden to replace him. A guy can dream, right?

5. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

We need a CB, RB, DT, G/C

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You say this as if the bad plays, missed kicks, INTs etc. are a concious decision by our players. They are mistakes. Suggesting they be eliminated is not bad advice, but you can't just say they need to stop and...PROBLEM SOLVED. You have to suggest an actual solution. Otherwise you could have summed up your whole Needs list into one item.

1) The Texans NEED to score more points than their opponents in EVERY game that matters this next season including the SUPER bowl and any PLAYoff game THEY may happen TO be a part OF.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree Nostradamus. At some point you have to give the Texans credit for building a scary good roster. Forget about the past and look to the improvement on an individual level. this team is good and history tells me if your team is better than the other teams you can count on a double digit win season. Book it.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

CB
    RB
    FS
    DT
    Bonus: #2 WR

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Upgrading the RB without upgrading the OL is so the way to go.

shutdown CB
    G/C

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interior D line
    INterior O line
    secondary (CB/FS)
    RB

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Of course you disagree. That's what homers do. If you looked at it objectively, then you could say with a straight face they're not winning 12-13 games.

Texans have the hardest schedule in the NFL next year.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My List:

Break the bank for an All Pro DT. Mario will be a waste so long as the middle of the line is full of saps.

Cover Safety to pair against Pollard, Wilson has been adequate but is winding down and is already struggling to tackle anyone that rumbles his way

CB to pair opposite Quinn, especially since the backups are hapless

OL help with size and strength - when everyone's an underweight smurf, the running game is garbage.

Take care of Ryans and Daniels.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The roster is good for sure. Problem is, they just fumbled away 5 games in a year when they had a winnable schedule as well as bad years by the Jags and Titans. That was the year for the playoffs and they blew it with hair-pulling choke jobs. Now they're facing a schedule tough enough that 8-8 would be an accomplishment.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12-13 wins may be a bit much...saying 8-8 is an "accomplishment" is a bit much in the other direction.

While the schedule does look tough i still think there are a lot of winnable games. Only a few that i would say they have no chance, e.g. indy & phillyi away, and chargers @ home.

The Jets wont have the luxury of being able to unload a new playbook on unsuspecting teams like they did last year. Not that their defense can't own us, but there was an element of surprise last year.

Cowboys are always bound to choke a game away. ANd by cowboys i mean Romo.

Tennessee will be tough because of brown, but texans showed they can play with them.

texans can beat Jax.

Broncos dont scare me that much but on the road will be tough.

Baltimore doesnt scare me that much

I think baltimore, jax, kc, titans @ home are all very winnable. Plus, the cowboys and giants don't even scare me that much

Away games... i think all are winnable, within reason, besides the colts. Philly doesnt scare me as i they may be due for a down year.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Needs in order of severity:
    CB
    DL
    G/C
    FS
    RB

At any of these positions, we can almost virtually say take the best player available as they come to us in the draft.

16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Ofcourse they arent concious decisions. Thats why we are going to have to eliminate them wen we put our helmets on, and get to work. They are mistakes, and mistakes needed to be corrected thru watching flim and practice. Thats wat i meant. And you kno that. lol

17. msn

msn Member

My only question is, "Should we 'take notes' on the football logic or the pristine grammar and spelling?" :grin:

18. msn

msn Member

ryan, you're smarter than this.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, we really need a good defensive tackle. Mario beats his man so many times and the opposing QB just steps up in the pocket and it's wasted.

Definitely need another cover corner and a cover safety.

Not too excited about the current state of the backfield, either

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This pretty much sums up my opinion of what needs to get done, perhaps with the bullet point of finding a decent short yardage RB who might could carry a bit more of the workload if it turned out Slaton never regains his former glory (but this is a lower priority than all the other things you posted).