1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#4 Pick Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 16, 2023.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Trade with Orlando

Tate

WCJ

Take the other Thompson twin. This is assuming the draft goes Amen at 4 and Whitmore at 5.

PG ____/KPJ/Washington
    SG Green/Thompson/Christopher
    SF _____/KMJ
    PF Bari/Tari
    C Sengun/WCJ/Garuba

Target Harden/Reaves/Cam/Middleton/FVV/Burks/Ingles. Players like that who are vets that can shoot and fill the PG and wing gaps.

Orlando moves up. Surrenders WCJ but gets picks 4/11/20.

WCJ is a very good player and would jumpstart the whole adding 3-4 veterans plan.

MadMax94$ and Houston77 like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course his name is coming up in trade talks. He never sees the floor, he’s owed a mint and is now a giant distraction. I’m sure the asking price is half what it would have been 6 months ago.

Aruba77 likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like this a lot.

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve got a question about some of these trade proposals that might be best answered by @BimaThug or one of the other cap gurus.

I’ve seen some proposals, and made some myself, where it is suggested that the Rockets trade picks from the upcoming draft, but also take back salary that is expected to move into our cap space.

Since the draft is happening in June, but we wouldn’t actually have cap space until the new league year starts on July 1 (I believe), is this even possible? Can we announce a trade prior to the draft, draft for the other team, then complete the trade after the start of the new year when the old salaries are cleared? Or do we just draft whoever and then hope a team wants them when we try to put a package together after July 1?

Thanks for any insight.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Orlando would never give up WCJ for so little. He's their long-term solution at C. Trading him to move up two spots, to #4, in a 3 person draft, would never happen. We might as well ask them to throw in Franz and Paolo.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Completely agree. He’s a great young stretch big who plays solid D and locked up under a fantastic contract. I’d love to get him, but that trade is no where near what it would take.

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

It’s pretty simple, really.
    Jalen Green still has a very big theoretical upside but he’s already shown that he can have some sort of production at the NBA level.
    Henderson only has a theoretical upside at this point, which at best I see taking many many years to realize…

8. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

If we're interested in Amen, I do think it is still possible to get him at 6. Orlando is rumored to want to move up for Whitmore and while teams don't draft for fit as much in the NBA, I can't see Detroit taking an athletic PG/creator after taking Ivey last year.

Obviously, you probably don't take that risk if you feel he is far and away the best option at 4, but if it's close, maybe they take that chance and grab an extra lotto pick in the process. Maybe #11 turns into a trade piece for a veteran.

I could see this being the reason that Whitmore's name has been floated more recently at #4 for Houston, or maybe people are just connecting the dots based off of the rumored Harden interest.

rhee likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Been a long time clutch fans and I hope all is well! Forgive me if this has been talked about ad nauseam but what’s the consensus around a Jaylen brown for 4+ based package? Or Jaylen in general

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

#4, #20, KJ Martin, Christopher, for #7 and Miles Turner.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets will have a hard time creating a competitive package for Jaylen Brown. The Rockets have some reasonable picks, but their tradable players with value and upside have not reached their potential and will have “sell low” values.

Boston84 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would add that Jalen is a rental, so not worth #4.

No Worries likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

ROX IN:
    Tyus Jones
    Steven Adams

MEM IN:
    Tate
    KMJ
    Christopher
    TyTy

Why ROX do this:
    We get a vet PG and vet C on short contracts.
    Use our #4 pick to draft future PG to play behind Tyus Jones & KPJ, #4 Pick Scoot, Amen, or Black allowed to develop.
    Promote Eason to starter and use #25 to draft SF, for example Brice Sensabaugh or Kris Murray.
    Saves your Cap space this year for additional trades/signings and for upcoming years when you need to pay your young dudes.

PG - Jones/KPJ/#4
    SG - Green/KPJ/
    SF - Tari/Bari/#25
    PF - Bari/Garuba
    C - Sengun/Adams/Garuba

Why MEM do this:
    MEM gets decent, cheap, Brooks replacement(s) and young, cheap, guard talent/depth for upcoming Ja suspension. KMJ and Christopher really fits their play style.

NewAge likes this.
  15. Ish

Ish Member

Then the pick goes to okc lol

16. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You lost me lol, which pick goes to OKC?

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Throw MCW into the deal and I'm in.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, we can do that. By "announce", Woj or Shams can report the trade. The Rockets could not. But yes, they could agree in principle to a trade before the draft, then make a draft selection for the other team, then consummate the trade in July.

xtruroyaltyx and theDude like this.
  20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Rental? we can just sign him in free agency

No Worries likes this.