1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#4 Pick Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 16, 2023.

1. cbass

cbass Member

You’re absolutely insufferable.

2. Landry's Tooth

I feel same way on Harden. Give me someone else, but I'll take him if the other option is nothing.

They need some guys to take pressure off the younger players and put them in a better position.

If KPJ and Jalen are your front court they need better rim protecttion I don't think Sengun can give.

May come down to choosing between them like they had to with Westbrook and Capela..

Just my opinion, I think the best thing to do is reduce risk and get dependable 2-way players for guys who are limited. The Patrick Williams and Anunobys are high on my list. I think the #4 pick and Jalen are the more attractive package to give up. I just don't know if you can get such players for Tate, Martin, and #20...

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol this age thing is hilarious. Basketball references uses the player's age as of Feb 1 for their age that season.

4. Landry's Tooth

[ member: 44404"]Lol this age thing is hilarious. Basketball references uses the player's age as of Feb 1 for their age that season.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's all subjective stuff. He was using statmuse. When you start breaking it down to the definitions it's all kind of arbitrary. So someone born on January 30 versus February 3rd are treated differently but someone with a birthday of November 18th is treated the same as February 3rd.

It doesn't ultimately matter. It's not like guys have all had the same opportunities and experience at those ages. Jalen probably has 2-3 times as many years playing basketball as Dream did at the same age. We don't put asterisks for that.

Age is one factor for upside. Other factors could be experience, intelligence for the game, physical attributes, and maybe health history.

Ralph Sampson was what Victor is now but the health limited his upside.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Is that right? When was that change implemented? Thought it always used their age at the end of the season and then recently while i've been discussing Lebron's current time was more like Jordan's first Wizards run in which the first half of next year for LeBron is more similar because Michael was 38 and 39 whereas Lebron was 37 and then 38 this year. Makes sense right? Then i saw BBallRef. shows Michael Jordans Wizards years as 38 and 39 then i realized all of his seasons were start of season ages. That was changed. So then i go to LeBron's page and sure enough he is listed end of season age including this year as 38.

Found that odd. What's the point of that considering feb1 is right at the half way point of a regular season? Just creates confusing comps and now also incorrect Playoff ages. Michael was 1 year older than all his Playoff stats show for example.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

OG cannot be extended so there is no reason to trade for him. Same thing for siakum. They will be ufa next year no matter what.

No Worries likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree completely there. I welcome another player or coach who can help unravel this heliocentric offense that Silas perpetuated. It works when guys like Harden, Luka, and Nash are making those plays but asking a young player who isn't necessarily a playmaker or natural passer - that's just asking for poor efficiency on top of lukewarm results.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

Fine, then Patrick Williams if you don't trust a deal under the table and you think he'll take less to play somewhere else.....

Give me a guy who can pair with Jabari, defend multiple positions, and shoot close to or better than 40% from 3...

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not saying I wouldn’t like og on the rockets, but you can only give up assets equivalent to a rental. If you are going to get in a bidding war why not wait until next year when you won’t have to give up assets?

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you know why?

Because he gets a lot of reactions when he does trade packages with Green with unequal return. He's kinda an attention w****.

Dobbizzle and pippendagimp like this.
  11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Do you watch other teams than the Rockets? Patrick Williams is not good, at all. A purely theoretical player. He looks like he should be good at defense, but is miserable at it, plays soft, negative assist to turnover, and is allergic to shooting. 12 points per 36 minutes. Team is better with him off the court. He's PJ Tucker without the defense or effort.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, another big miss.

PWill is total trash.

We are scraping at the bottom of the opinions barrel here.

glimmertwins and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Don't complain about others ideas when you don't offer an alternative.

Many of the things you cite are specific to how he is used. As for his defense, you're the first person I've ever seen say he's not a good defender. What is your basis for that?

14. Landry's Tooth

So go into a bidding war for a player you want with the second most money that he will get offered...

They should have tried that with Lebron 10 years ago, we'd have gotten Harden a ring...

15. Landry's Tooth

For the record, I don't care. Pick a different player who fits the description. Mikal Bridges isn't being let go by the Nets.

You tell me what great defensive player that shoots 40% from 3 and is under age 30 is out there to get and I'll be on board.

raining threes likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how long it's been like that on Bballref but the idea is, how old was the player for most of the season, which makes sense.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Doesn't make sense when you include playoffs. A championship player from feb1 played longer at that age than before

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure but that's a relatively small percentage of the player pool. I also care so much less about when a player turns what age, unlike most here lmao.

Caesar likes this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well it's used as narrative for those who fail to look more in depth. Likewise for listed weights. Without using their eyes, people think LeBron at his peak was heavier than Karl Malone and David Robinson for example. Giannis and Hakeem almost 15lbs heavier than Robinson. Rookie weights listed for a bunch of players. Inaccurate heights. Overall, it's the NBA's fault for those things, though.

20. ilias

ilias Member

Rockets get: #2 (Scoot)
    Hornets get: #3 (Miller), #20 from Rockets, #23 from Portland
    Bulls get: #4, Chicago’s own 2024 FRP owed to Portland, Nets 2024 FRP owed to Rockets
    Blazers get: Zach Lavine, Tate, KPJ

• Portland can build a decent team around Lillard with Simmons, Lavine, Grant, Nurkic bringing KPJ, Tate, Sharpe off the bench.
    • Chicago can now tank and get a top-5 pick in 2024 to pair next to Amen and Pat, alongside any assets it can get for DeRozan, Caruso
    • Hornets get enough compensation to drop from#2 to #3, while also getting someone that fits their needs better
    • Rockets get the man they want, by giving a couple of additional FRPs that we may not be able to accommodate in the roster and give sufficient playing time. We still have remaining draft assets for a trade plus full max cap space in 2024.

xaos likes this.