1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#4 Pick Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 16, 2023.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

KJ should NOT be a starter in this league

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Who knows if they really have the high expectations they are trumpeting. There is a lot of gamesmanship in both the trade market and draft rooms. In the end, the Nets are in no man’s land until they can dump Simmons in 2 years. They can stick it out and win between 30-40 games a year or they can tank and be relevant in about the same time frame as waiting Simmons out. The only way they can tank is to get their picks back. If they are unwilling to take the #3 pick and Simones for Bridges they are idiots. If they are willing to pass on all their picks back for Bridges, they are idiots. It does look like, at least for now, they are idiots.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is correct. I do not expect KJM to be on the Rockets this season. He has to be wide open to make threes, he is a poor defensive player, and he is short. Like him in transition, but he is a one-trick pony that is only suited for a bench role.

OremLK likes this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Maybe a package that involves Jaylen Brown depending on how the Celtics season ends? Or Kawhi or George if the Clips want to move on.

I’m not sure any singe move puts them into championship contention though.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Portland sh*t the bed, when they re-signed Dame. They should have bit the bullet, gotten a haul for him when they had the chance. Whether they trade the pick or draft at no. 3, they will not get enough in return to compete. They are in the mediocre hell that I hope the Rockets don’t get themselves into by trading their core young players for immediate gratification.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Nah. Chris Paul is actually a great example proving the opposite.

Chris Paul could actually be extended (Anunoby and Dejounte can’t).

Chris Paul affirmatively *wanted* to be in Houston, he demanded a trade to Houston, so we were trading for him knowing he would be here long term. Nobody we’d be trading for this summer has any reason to want to be in Houston.

Chris Paul immediately turned into a negative asset once he resigned after a year to “the worst contract Tilman had ever seen”.

We only traded a late FRP and salary filler for Chris Paul.

Trading #4 in a strong top heavy draft for a rental of a significantly worse player than CP3 who doesn’t particularly want to be in Houston, when we won’t contend during that rental period would be obvious GM malpractice. Stone isn’t perfect and blusters a lot, but he isn’t going to make thaaat big of a blunder. He’s fairly sharp on trade and contract value stuff.

OremLK likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is a useful bench piece on his contract, but I don't like his fit on the current team given that our biggest needs are playmaking, shooting, and defense, and he brings none of those things. I view him as the most likely player to be traded on the current roster, followed by KPJ.

8. Landry's Tooth

So now you're relying on TF as a good judge of contracts?

What did the Thunder give up to unload this bad contract?

9. Landry's Tooth

Top heavy that stops a pick in front of them.

You are also comparing completely different trade circumstances. Paul had a player option. He could have been a free agent. The clippers had little leverage.

Would be like Harden opting into his deal so the Sixers could trade him to the Nuggets or something...

10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

You brought up the Chris Paul comparison, not me.

Want a different comparison? A very good but non top 10 player on a difficult to extend expiring contract? How about Jerami Grant last summer.

With 1 year left on a bargain deal he was traded for a protected 2025 Bucks pick, likely to be the 25th-30th pick in an expected weak draft two years from now.

And people are arguing to trade the #4 pick in a strong draft happening this year for an expiring Anunoby, or Dejounte type? Come on.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Only player on their roster I would even consider trading #4 for is Scottie Barnes. If they trade the pick for Siakam or Anunoby I'm gonna be livid.

cbass, PatBev and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. Ish

Ish Member

I rather take siakam, its either scoot or siakam.. no more young players, get a veteran player with a title to play pf or sf, scotty Barnes is just another young player no need for that . He's growth second year was bad compared to the rookie of year.. another 3rd year player isnt going anywhere but if you think getting Barnes is better than green sengun or jabari so anyone would be expandable . Idk about that but please persuade me if anything..I can be wrong

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

As stated so eloquently in that thread, Siakam + Harden (which is presumably what that would be) is a mid-ass team that's destined for a first round exit. I don't know if I'd even trade #4 for Barnes, but at least he has upside to maybe become a core player on a championship contender when we're actually ready to... be a championship contender.

Siakam is 29. He might be a fringey all-star for like 2 more seasons and after that he could be out of the league in relatively short order. Track record for non-elite big men sustaining their production well into their thirties is VERY poor.

Sure makes sense to trade one of the best assets in basketball (a top 5 draft pick in a good, top-heavy draft class) for that. /s (if you couldn't tell)

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we trade the #4 pick for Pascal Siakam, you just know this franchise is bending their ass over for Harden again.

Old ass Harden + Siakam = mediocre team for the next 5 years while developing none of our young players. We might as well trade them for aging superstars at that point and we'll be back to 0 in 5 years and have to tank for another 3 years.

daywalker02 and OremLK like this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I wouldn’t trade 4 for siakam, it’s completely pointless.

OremLK likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

I didn't compare Paul's contract situation to someone else. I only cited they had worked out an unofficial agreement to extend after he opted in.

Anunoby is 2 steps up better from Grant. Murray might be more similar....

Anunoby is an all nba defense player with about 40% 3pt shooting. Mikal Bridges would be similar...

Grant was also older...

18. jb86

jb86 Member

I disagree

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. conquistador#11

The real head honchos are obsessed with 2018. So if they did make a trade like this for Pascal, it will be strictly to seduce Harden.