1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

Poll closed Yesterday at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.0%
  5. Zach Edey

3.4%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.1%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.5%
  8. Reed Sheppard

43.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

7.7%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I take it back, I'm all in on Reed if he doesn't go top 2
    He's a total package, defense, hops, midrange, playmaking ... even if his 3pt shooting is a total anomaly he's just too smart and good all around compared to these other cats

I know you guys were waiting on bated breath for my decision

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Frankly I'd rather miss the playoffs with FVV than make them with Kyrie. I'm a Kyrie fan but our team is 100% about those core 6 players, everything else is noise. For those 6 players, you gain more from FVV's style of leadership (winning half your games) than you do from making the playoffs watching Kyrie dominate the ball.

In 2 years when our core is in their prime, I don't think we will miss any of them. I can see us keep Fred off the bench if he agrees to a discount after next year.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To me it comes down to Sheppard, Topic and Castle. All high upside guys, with a good record of production.

Topic has the lowest floor because if the shot doesn’t come, all he can really do is facilitate and score at the rim. He’s not a good defender. But if the shot does come, he could have the highest upside of the three.

Castle has the elite defense, facilitation, position versatility, so his floor is higher than Topic. Even if the shot doesn’t come he can have an nba role. And if the shot does come, he could have the highest upside.

Sheppard has the highest floor. At worst he’s gonna be an excellent shooter who is an above average defender. He could also eventually be a better version of Fred. The size and weight issues are overblown. The kid knows how to play defense; put him in the weight room. His handles can get better.

it will be interesting to see who our front office goes with. Shepard’s my guy, but in this draft any of these 3 are good picks.

4. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I want the Rockets to get better.

Sure, snagging the third pick in the NBA draft is swell.

But do not forget the Rockets have very skilled players specifically Tari Eason and Cam Whitmore who did not get much playing time last season. Eason was injured mostly, while Whitmore was playing mostly in the G-league affiliate team.

Find more playing time for Eason and Whitmore this season.

Trade Jalen Green, Bullock, Boban,

Then add defense, shot blocking. I am not sure if Steven Adam fits the roster. If he pans out, then sure, he can backup Shengun when needed.

Maybe trade the #3rd pick to Portland or Detroit.

Yves Missi

Jalen Smith

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Topic, but I don't think Houston should select him because of his injuries. Sheppard is okay for me. I like Castle, however I'm concerned about his alleged statement that he will only play for a team that needs a PG. Is he a diva? The Spurs can have him at 4, if they wish.
    @Nook

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He said that? I mean everything can be construed as negative statement these days.

7. saleem

Givony attributed that statement to him. I don't know if it's true.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it could easily be interpreted as him being confident that he can contribute right away and whoever needs a PG, he would provide better service.

A diva is someone who does not show up and parties off court.......we know we had that kind of player.

saleem likes this.
  9. saleem

Hoopshype is speculating that Clingan might be selected by the Rockets at 3 as part of a trade. Givony is reporting that Memphis is interested in moving up the draft in order to acquire him.

I don't know if the Rockets are targeting JJJ with Jabari as part of the package or Jalen Green , Clingan, Dillon and some of the Nets picks for Ja Morant.

I'm wary of Morant on the Rockets.
    @daywalker02

#2489 saleem, Jun 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Easy, joshuaao, Crashlanded19 and 3 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be if Memphis is deciding to blow it up and build around the likes of JJJ and GG Jackson but I am confident they would at least wait couple years if ever.....

saleem likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

JJJ or Bane would be interesting. I agree I'm concerned about Morant between the personality issues and the injuries. He's averaged 47 games played the past four years and never exceeded 67. Another one of those dudes where, like Zion, if he's available it's for a reason.

saleem likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Clingan and Jabari for JJJ? I’m not sure they want to get younger. Let’s say they consider it.

It would catapult us up the standings but I’m not sure I’m ready to give up on Jabari.

JJJ
    Sengun
    Brooks/Tari
    Green/Whitmore
    FVV/Amen

Hell of a team, guaranteed top 6 in the West.

13. saleem

Another speculation on my part. Stone offers Sheppard with the 3rd pick and Jabari plus Dillon for LM and the 10th pick. I'm not in favor of this. I'm trying to read Stone 's mind.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sure hope not. Jabari is going to be way better than LM. I predict he gets votes for one of the all-defense teams this year. People forget his age and how his frame will allow him to put on plenty more muscle.

Rudyc281, Mathloom and saleem like this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He's not ball dominant PG like CP3. He can run some pick and roll. Nothing fancy dribble like Kyrie. It's pretty basic like Stockton, but he usually passes the ball when there's pressure/trap coming. Don't expect him to break down double team or drive pass his defender.

Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. chef0010

chef0010 Rookie

Let’s take a chance on Reed

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a lot of demand for Clingan at 3. A nice market setting up...

No way would I give up Jabari...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For JJJ? I absolutely would - he instantly gives you everything Jabari is supposed to but with greater court IQ, rim protection, fluidity and bounce than Jabari will ever have. From what I’ve observed the past two seasons, Jabari is likely going to top out as a taller but lower IQ Horry with Chuck Hayes hops - he could barely dunk as a rookie and 30 lbs of muscle certainly won’t improve that. That limitation could be overcome if he moved off the ball intelligently or had some rudimentary post skills that made him automatic within 5 feet. But the only offense he has is a jump shot and that comes and goes. Of all our young talent, he very clearly has the lowest realistic ceiling and I would rather sell him before he ages out of the “potential” tag.

Now all that being said, I would be shocked if Memphis starts blowing their team up - they had a winning team before the injuries and suspensions ruined the 22-23 season for them and there’s not reason to believe they won’t be again with the full roster back in 23-24. If they’re going to give us a player to move up in this year’s underwhelming draft, it’s more likely to be someone like Brandon Clarke than JJJ.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Feels overly harsh, b/c I want to like Jabari and I want to have hope. But I can't refute any of what you're saying yet, based on his performance. (sigh)

Rudyc281, palmsnbananas and subtomic like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would you trade Jalen, Jabari and filler for JJJ?

I looked at it and am not sure.

Jabari is a better rebounder (but much worse rim protector/shot blocker) than JJJ. JJJ would be kind of perfect next to Alpi, but are we sure Jabari cannot bulk up and improve? 3-point shooting seems a wash between them.

#2500 AroundTheWorld, Jun 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Rudyc281 likes this.