1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.8%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.7%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.3%
  5. Zach Edey

2.9%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.8%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Clingan is our Brook Lopez

Him and Sengun can play together

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You don't get why I would be concerned about an undersized guard that just had his most injury prone season and couldn't finish the playoffs healthy? I'm not saying it's a sure thing but understanding the concern is pretty easy to do.

The trade you responded to was Green, #3 pick, and a future first. For me that's too much for a non top 15 player that isn't a plus defender. Between Cam, Green, Amen, and BK picks I think the Rockets have no need to rush to contend unless they are getting a complete player.

clutchdabear, TEXNIFICENT and Plowman like this.
  3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

No I’m not as concerned wrt his injury. His team was ravaged by injury and he ploughed through. Give me a top 15 player that is available that is without some sort of injury history and concern?

He IS top 15 by almost any advanced metric. Go check my other post in the Mitchell Thread.

And it might be news to a lot of people, but he IS a plus defender, and then some. His D-EPM is 89th percentile, that’s Amen and Tari territory. Top 30-40 in the NBA. His DBPM is +1.5 (compared to JG’s 27th percentile and -0.9). Being a LONG guard with 6’10” wingspan alleviated a lot of concerns. And he needs to be in the right setup to flourish. I don’t know where your notion he’s a bad defender coming from. It’s drastically outdated.

Even with another pick I’d trade for him. You are substantially underestimating him as an impact player.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I didn't say he was a bad defender and he's not going to have the same level of defensive support around him in the starting lineup in Houston that he has in Cleveland. I'll go back and read and watch more of him this year but I don't ever remember watching him a thinking he was a plus defender.

I'm not underestimating him. He hasn't carried any teams in the playoffs. He's not even a Jimmy Butler level player. He barely got past a meh Magic team.

BTW 3 years ago Bradley Beal was in the same tier of player Mitchell is at the age of 27. 3 years later he's a broken down undersized 2 guard with a huge contract.

pippendagimp likes this.
  5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Bradley Beal has NEVER been at nearly the same level as Mitchell.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You might want to compare their stats at the age of 27.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Not to pile on the woes that phoenix must bear going forward, but…
    The Bradley Beal acquisition is one of the worst decisions in sports history.

#2007 thegary, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I don't want Mitchell, but I do appreciate what you laid out above and your perspective. I've looked at potentially available players and haven't seen one that is likely available that I would want to invest in. However, if Ime believes that Mitchell is that missing piece and we can get him at a reasonable cost, then so be it.

r-fan-since-81 and yixiixiy like this.
  9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Why would I care about counting stats? Honestly if you want to go there, there is no need to argue further. We clearly don’t have the same belief system and speak the same language.

Beal is one of the most empty-calory low impact “star”. There is probably zero advanced impact stat that will put him in the top 25-30 ever. See below for DARKO DPM as an example.

[​IMG]

In the past two seasons, Mitchell averaged 6.0 BPM. Beal averaged 3.0 for the 26 and 27 yr seasons. They are on different impact levels.

My more important point is that, for one Bradley Beal, I can give you at least 4-5 stars that came out of a bad injury with value intact. PG, Durant, Curry, Harden, Embiid, Giannis. So your point about contract concern is not valid.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's more than counting stats. They have some similar advanced stats depending on which ones you are looking at.

PG, Durant, Harden, Embiid, and Giannis are not small for their positions. Curry is to an extent but he plays different than Mitchell. How many small 2 guards can you name that had long careers into their 30s?

11. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wonder how much of at all this would change if you had switched the teams they played on.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Every mock is completely different no one knows where anyone is going.

palmsnbananas and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

I really do not understand the support for drafting what would be a third string center at best when one of the best shooters ever will likely be available.

Y2JT, ArtV, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Which are?? I’m all ears. Change my mind.

Well you are conveniently changing the goal post from “an injury prone player is likely to lose value when he’s 30 yr old” to “undersized guards are injury prone and have short career”. You lost me at what you are trying to prove.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clingan might be the safest pick in this draft.

Still feel we need to trade for a star, though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see how picking a permanent backup center is "safe"

clutchdabear, cml750 and Ubiquitin like this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I so do not want Dillingham no thank you very much. I have been an incredibly skinny dude all my life and I'm literally that guy's size. I think I would break in half if I tried to play in the NBA.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Clingan and Dillingham as #1 and #2? There is less than a 2% chance the Rockets are considering Rob Dillingham.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Topic would be an interesting selection at 3. I wonder if he'd even be available. Sarr seems like the early favorite for #1, I think I'd be fairly certain Wizards take one of Topic or Castle.

Idk that Amen will ever take the primary creator role. Topic's greatest ability is just that though. His ability getting to the rim is damned impressive.