1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

I voted for Harden along with Lin, but I think it's time those who are bitter Harden isn't ahead of Lin in votes (both ASG and our CF poll) realize and accept that Harden just doesn't have that larger than life feel to him. I'm not bashing him people so don't take it like that.

Can you ever imagine other arenas cheering for Rockets when Harden scores the game winner? Yet that is what happened when Lin played against Toronto during his Linsanity run. The entire place erupted as all the fans lost their minds and cheered for a guy who just beat their home team.

Something like that is why Harden can't beat Lin in popularity. It doesn't matter if you resent that cos the Rockets are selling out other arenas when they visit, and we all know why.

Don't get me wrong. Harden has superstar-ish play and effect on Houston's fortunes, but he'll need to get to the same status as a Durant, Lebron, Kobe before he has the chance to be the most popular. He can do that by winning multiple scoring titles, leading the team to NBA championships, and winning MVPs.
    Harden only fans shouldn't feel bad though. Even Melo had trouble competing with Lin in terms of popularity, and you can argue that Melo is a bigger star than Harden is.

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

NBA has an international audience, America should be proud of it.

3. RoxD

RoxD Member

Agree.

Just let the flow take its course, and no need to go against the trend.

4. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

Lin should refuse the invite.

Its the right thing to do. He does not deserve it.

If you are a true fan of Lin you will understand and support it.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

still it's nice to see to the fan love that jlin is getting. Why be embarrassed? Rockets need representation! no point self hating.

6. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

it is.

still, its wrong. it will cause resentment among his fellow players.

if Lin is so noble and humble and christian and all that crap, he should refuse the invite until it is deserved. at least with yao he can make statistical argument.

Lin has none.

7. jocar

jocar Member

I seriously doubt anyone on this team would resent him. All high character guys. Players on other teams.. different story- more targets on Lin's back.

8. zzpot

zzpot Member

You will go through with it and just shoot yourself...RIGHT!!!!....

just say maybe and ....well... or just twitter like RW.

Ohh snappp... can I coin that.. or copy right it... "Going Twitter".

Like going Postal??

zzpot:confused::confused::cool:

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

All bias or personal feelings aside, Rockets fans should be happy with some nice representation. :grin:

10. munco

munco Member

I do not think he can decline unless he wants to face the wrath of Stern. I forget who it was, but one year an all-star wanted to rest up instead of taking part in all-star weekend. The league wasn't having it and a fine was threatened.

11. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Haha, from reading the comments in this thread, you can clearly tell apart from TRUE Rocket fans and fake Rocket fans who wouldn't hesitate to throw out the pitchforks if things don't go their way.

How can any Rocket fans be sad when their players are getting represented and attracting national wide media which in turns attract superstars and monetary values to the organization? Seriously do you want the Rockets to succeed or completely fail? Because if you want the organization to succeed, then you need to question your hatred of the result.

12. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

To all Lin fans all around the world: Make a last minute push for Omer, Harden, and Lin please. Thank you.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you're a TRUE Rockets fan only if you vote the BEST player on the Rockets

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

get voted into All-Star is an embarrassment now?

So you are saying all those fans who putting up Lin's name is trying to embarrass him? what about Parson? What about all those 2nd grade players that happened to be on the ballot? So all those names are on the ballot but they are not suppose to get into the All-Star, otherwise it is an embarrassment?

you guys got some twisted minds that can thinking straight without tripping yourselves.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

G.W. Bush didn't refuse his 2nd term of presidency, but hell, I think he was unworthy.

go with the process and live with the result.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You seem to have reading comprehension issues. It is because being an All-Star is an honor that it would be embarrasing to have someone very outclassed in terms of basketball merit get the spot over someone else.

Its like having a crappy GPA/SAT and getting admitted to a prestigious university just because you have inside connections and denying the chance to someone that deserves it much more.

Or even the kid with a crappy resume getting a job over someone else because of the color of his skin or inside connections as well.

In these instances we would think that the individual (and believe me he would if this happened) would decline so someone more deserving can play.

A couple of years ago T-mac was leading in starting All-Star guard votes even though he was having an above avg season and missed half the games. He released a statement saying that he "Didn't deserve it."

I'm always happy for a someone on the rockets to get recognized, but something like this being undeserved just goes against the merit/honor code even though I think the AS game is a travesty anyways.

On a side note...

In many instances a really good player producing well under his contract would actually hurt the team in the future more if he were an AS. It can lead to over-inflation of his value and make negotiations difficult.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

And like I pointed out, All star appearances don't say too much about how good a basketball player someone is, but it plays a HUGE role in determining how much they (and other teams) perceive their net worth.

Many players make a big deal out of it because it is their gateway to secure their contract in the future.

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

you are comparing apples and oranges here. You might have thought he was unworthy, but even to this day many republicans (on the BBS especially) and Bush himself would tell you he was worthy. Politics is a filthy game that bears no connection to the analogy you are trying to make.

And just a word of advice, you probably already know this but try to keep politics out because Clutch drops the ban hammer and neg reps pretty fast when that stuff spews out of the D&D. ;)

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Does Blake Griffin deserve it?

I can name multiple PFs who are better out West:
    Duncan
    ZBo
    Love
    LMA
    Lee
    And that is with a hurting Nowitzki and Gasol.

Is he deserving??

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Kevin Love hasn't been that good this season. fg% 0.352 3pt % 0.217

Blake is at least top 5? Compare to Lin who probably isn't even top 10 and it might even be considered a bad season for him so far.