1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the east has a ****ty collection of players.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That was the first time something like that ever happened, the couldn't go against the popular vote all of a sudden especially considering Yao's tenure here was a great diplomatic success.

Now that the pattern has become clear to every person with a brain, most figure out that there are certain groups that can heavily influence star voting and skew the results.

Tbh, stuff like this embarrases Lin. He has great fans and that is something to hold your head up high about, but there is no way he would play if given the chance. This whole popularity contest also makes it harder for him to make the case that he is known due to his merit and not a specific following. I hope his fans do learn.

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

I like the style and demeanor of your post, but I really do want to ask if you know for certain that Lin will be embarrassed by getting voted in.

Cos I keep reading that Lin will be embarrassed or Rockets will be embarrassed...but then why do we see all these ads from the Rockets Organization telling the fans to vote for Rocket players?

I think someone should just ask Lin if he'd be embarrassed so that we can all stop speaking for him.

4. mirus

mirus Member

They are not going to return to that,or limit online voting.

NBA is no different than a business organisation,as much as we like to think otherwise.:)

Its all in your mind sir .Your sarcasm generator is on and unfortunately my meter is in good condition :grin:

I was referring to the unlimited voting system.A passionate(or fanatic) fan of the player(s).now this is definitely not scrap voting sys :p .

NBA ,the league,the teams are a business. While I may not like the direction its going i dont think i can stop it anyway.And as I said ,I'm fine whether lin is chosen as an all star or not.What I care about is the team(s) i support get quality wins and /or develop their players.

5. mirus

mirus Member

fixed

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Need to start voting more regularly

7. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Amen!

8. BleedRocketsRed

My All-Star ballot:
    Asik/Scola/Parsons/Harden/Lin
    Varaejao/JoshSmith/Melo/KLow7/Irving

Gonna do it at least twice daily.

9. BleedRocketsRed

How come NOBODY is talking about how much of a joke Griffin over Duncan is?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao beat Shaq in paper balloting. The one they pass out in stadiums filled with Americans, aka not Chinese. Please, let's stop pretending Yao and Lin matter more overseas than they do here. When they are both very, very popular in the US. The ESPN Linsanity hype didn't fully reach China, but they sure as hell made a huge impression here in the US.

11. BleedRocketsRed

Blake starting is dumber than Lin starting IMO.

Lin would be a result of biased fans
    Blake would be a result of STUPID fans. There are at least 5 PFs out West more deserving than Blake (Duncan, ZBo, Love, LMA, Lee).

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Which one of those do you think actually has a chance of getting in?
    I think just Harden will get voted in the rest too far behind.

13. BleedRocketsRed

Lin is the only one with a chance lol. Just doing it for fun haha.

14. Indaface

Indaface Member

I thought the All star game was about who the people wanted to see. If people wanna see Lin then he should be an all star starter.

This is a freaking exhibition people no need to put down Lin or say he shouldn't play if he does get voted in.

The love/hate relationship on this board over Lin is sickening to me as a ROCKETS fan.

15. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

How about you vote on his play rather than his race? Maybe Harden would actually be starting.....

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin doesn't deserve to be a starter over Harden. But if he gets voted in to be a starter I'll be happy. I'm happy if any Rockets player would get voted in. That's true of Omer, Chandler, Patrick, Morris, any of them.

I understand hoping that players get votes in accordance with what people feel they deserve. I don't understand being upset if one Rockets player gets voted to be a starter.

17. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

If the NBA cared, they'd fix the voting system. Since they don't, why should you? Look at the Grammys or the Oscars, you think the most deserving always win?

As someone has mentioned, why the fruck is Tim Duncan not over Fake Griffin. Why is Kobe over LeBron Lames?

This is the Allstar game. It's for the casual fans. Lin did put up allstar numbers last season, through a short stretch, who says he doesn't deserve it? Wasn't he the biggest sports story of the year? Who cares!

b****ing about it is like complaining that Shawshank Redemption didn't win the Blockbuster award.

18. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Wtf man. We almost have the same ballot! Just switch Lowry with Rondo.

19. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

Also, some of you just hate the guy for whatever reasons. The mere fact that a Rockets player might get a chance to get in and you're complaining about it shows how much of a "Rockets Fan" you are.

If the dude can get in and draw more fans to the team and make Houston a bigger market, which makes it a more attractive target for Harden's friends, the better!

Look at the bigger picture, people!

20. Grigori

Grigori Member

Here's a thought, if you know such a discussion is inappropriate, then stop acting inappropriately.

'Twas like I said, I would be happy to amend my assumption if you kept up the backseat moderation. Guess what? You were obviously correct in that there was at least one person here who would blow a gasket and start a debate/discussion over it. Well, assumption amended. Believe it though when I say that I was not fishing for a rare catch like you. If I meant to troll I would have targetted a much larger group, especially in this of all threads.

;)

This is, of course, assuming that he gets more than 3 minutes of play even if he makes it. Hey, it wouldn't be the Jeremy Lin show if there weren't armies of naysayers standing in his way at every turn.

You have just used the words "credibility" and "All Star" in conjunction.

The "merit people" seriously need to stop talking about Westbrook. The dude's been sucking ass this year. He's just lucky he's playing on a good team with a blank check from the coaches.

Lin FG% 43.2%; Westbrook FG%: 41.0% with a worst TS%, too. The difference is that Westbrook jacks up almost 19 FGA/g. Personally, I don't consider that a merit.

What sane person would vote for Westbrook to see him chuck up 19 shots at a 41.0% clip in the All Star Game and get bailed out of his desperate passes by superior teammates? I rather see a Lin no-look pass to Dwight or two.

LOL. Seriously? The All Star reserve selection is based on a coach popularity vote. Looking at past All Star reserve selections, the coaches are even less concerned with merit than most fans who think they know merit when they see it are. If they were going by merit, the coaches wouldn't even be allowed to vote at all.