1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3801 Lancaster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Apr 11, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The first time I even heard about this was on CNN so the whole blame the liberal media thing comes off as pretty f'n stupid. Especially this tweet up here about the wall to wall coverage for missing blonde chicks but no reporting on what happens to minorities. Hell the only time FOX is reporting on minorities is when they're chasing ACORN and Black Panther boogeymen. It's hilarious how you guys try to twist **** for your own purposes. This case is freaking disgusting and revolting. I don't see much to debate about that. What I see is conservatives trying use this politically to discuss abortion once again. Of course these same conservatives don't give a **** about the poor black kids killed on the streets of our big cities every day because of the proliferation of guns. Same ole same ole.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Not sure you see who you think is spluttering with rage but the OP is about what is effectively a media cover-up for this horror.

I have no question about whether or not this is bad.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You make a couple of questionable assumptions in your post:

1. Open up the abortion debate? Maybe, although I suspect this would open up the debate about regulating abortion facilities and debate regarding late term abortion.

2. When you mention the proliferation of guns, you assume that these guns are legal and were obtained legally. I would guess that this is not the case. Regardless of where one stands on the gun control issue, you have to understand that we could pass the most restrictive gun laws and it would not magically end street gun violence. The illegal gun market will always operate.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Republicans have been trying to restrict abortion one way or another for decades. It's a constant chipping away chipping away in states across the country. There of course should be regulations on abortion clinics, certainly no less than any other medical facility. This guy is a straight killer. Not much different from some doctor offing people in their sleep at a hospital. It's disgusting and the guy should get life in prison. What's to debate about that?

Now we're on the media boogeyman thing? There is no one that supports the murder of children who have been born. It's absurd to claim otherwise. Having legal abortion doesn't allow a slippery slope for doctors to kill children once they're born. There's a distinction there and it's not a gray area.

A gun doesn't care if it's legal or not. It kills just the same. There are plenty of common sense things we can do to limit access to guns.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

CNN reported on the story once before yesterday and MSNBC 0 times. ABC,NBC,CBS also have reported on the story 0 times before yesterday.

Fox News ran tons of stories on this

The topic in the thread is why hasn't it been covered in the media. This isn't an opinion. It is a fact that the murder of hundreds of babies was reported on once on CNN and 0 times on MSNBC before yesterday (ABC,CBS,NBC = 0 times).

So CometWin, why do you think the media failed to cover the murder of hundreds of babies?

#65 tallanvor, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I never mentioned a single thing about the media. I couldn't care less about what the media has to say on this issue.

I mentioned that there may be additional debate on late term abortion. Even though this doctor's actions are not analogous to a late term abortion, it is bound to reignite the debate. A third trimester abortion is just different. The long standing case law supports that view.

As for guns, short of background checks and banning certain weapons, I am just not sure there is a lot to do that would be Constitutionally permissible. But, again, that would assume a legal gun sale.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Everything that's terrible is not necessarily political.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Andy McCarthy makes a point that Gosnell is the end of a long immoral journey that starts with changing the meaning of words and the steady dehumanization of life.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/345483/dehumanizing-word-games-gosnell-andrew-c-mccarthy

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The OP is about how much of the media, for purely political reasons, has buried this story.

The "sputtering outrage" is to shame them into covering it.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

And exactly what policy outcomes are to be expected from this, other than the ones already enacted?

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

to the extent that you openly admire a woman who derides a vast majority of humanity as parasites, I find it hard to believe you don't grasp the irony of your position (and perhaps your entire life philosophy).

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like all of Gosnell's patients were poor we should also consider why did people like this feel like they had to go to someone like Gosnell?

This is one of the biggest problems I have with the abortion debate. I can respect the position that life begins at conception as a philosophical position what I find more troubling is those who argue for a culture of life while simultaneously advocating for policies that make it much more difficult for poor people to bring children to term, to raise them and educate them.

As far as the Gosnell case in particularly I think we can all agree it is horrible. Even if you think abortion should be legal in all cases this is a case of a failure of regulation of medical standards.

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

14. giddyup

These same things have been said for years or decades even. If some won't listen then, maybe they'll listen now at the height of the horror. Quit trying to shame "us" into silence.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

ugh. same generic responses as Bengahzi. 'Nothing to see hear', 'How dare you make this political', etc...

You know Obama just paraded out the parents of dead Newton children to push his gun bill.....

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

why is Obama and Newtown in this discussion?

is Gosnell on trial for abortion or for murdering babies after they were born?

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

this,

18. giddyup

"The revolting revelations of Gosnell's former staff, who have been testifying to what they witnessed and did during late-term abortions, should shock anyone with a heart."

19. giddyup

/\

that

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This story and the actions of those who allowed it or minimalized it is so vile and disgusting.