1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 weeks until training camp / will landry be signed by then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Sep 9, 2008.

Tags:
?

how will the landry situation play out?

1. Landry, Dorsey, and Deke are all signed before camp starts

199 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. None are signed in time for camp because DM waits to sign landry first

62 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry is signed during preseason or regular season

99 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry & DM don't reach an agreement, Landry is let go.

79 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't worry about Dorsey. If Landry isn't signed by media day (next Monday?), then the Rockets will sign Dorsey to a two-year deal at the league minimum. The only downside to that would be that the Rockets would not get a team option on a third year for Dorsey, since they'd need to keep their entire MLE intact in order to ensure that no one else will try to sign Landry. I'd be willing to bet that the Rockets already have a two-year deal in place with Dorsey that is contingent on Landry not signing by media day. If Landry signs by then (for likely less than the entire MLE), then the Rockets will use a sliver of the remaining portion of the MLE (likely equal to the rookie minimum) to sign Dorsey to a three-year deal.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly how I see it......but will Dorsey sign that deal?

DD

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Atleast we have Landry on our team roster for NBA 2k9... for now... :p

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

My best guess is that Morey negotiated two different deals with Dorsey's agent. One was a two-year deal, with the first year guaranteed and the second year being a partial guarantee. The other deal was a three-year deal (contingent on Landry's situation), with the first year guaranteed, the second year having a LARGER guaranteed amount than the other deal, and the third year being a team option. Dorsey would be willing to give the Rockets a team option on Year 3 if it means more guaranteed money overall for him.

Again, just my best guess.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i doubt morey would leave the team stranded for big men, so your guess seems very plausible.

i also believe than the league minimum doesn't count against the MLE so morey could also sign deke before day 1 of camp, however deke is too proud to sign a minimum deal. i believe he's stated he wants a little more than the min.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

wheres the.. "landry and dorsey are signed and deke plays for the minimum including a small donation to his foundation." option? would that count against the salary cap? :) we can only hope that's what happens..

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You're right about the league minimum. Deke actually played for the league minimum last year, though. I think he'd just prefer not to play for it again this season. Let's hope Morey can convince Deke otherwise. It would really help the team's luxury tax situation if he does.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe the promise of another large donation to his foundation gets it done.

9. AXG

AXG Member

I agree, that's why I hope they get re-signed quickly, but other guys will step up and fill their places and the Rockets will also have to sign other bigs.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well there is no concern of NOT signing deke and dorsey this season. it's just a matter of time. if landry doesn't sign at all, then the rockets would have one free spot to fill, probably with luenan or daniel santiago.

however, if dorsey is signed to the minimum rookie contract for 2 years then apparently he doesn't count against the MLE, which would allow him to attend camp and leave the rockets with the power to match any MLE offer to landry.

11. yaomi

yaomi Member

Bobcats Extend Offer Sheet to Carl Landry
    bobcats.com
    September 24, 2008

Charlotte Bobcats General Manager Rod Higgins announced today that the team has extended an offer sheet to restricted free agent Carl Landry. Per team policy, terms were not disclosed.

In accordance with the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, Landry’s current team, the Houston Rockets, will have seven days to decide whether to match the offer.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

....cf.net implosion in 3...2...1...

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is good news.

This means he will be signed by us.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yep, and it did not cost the full MLE....Morey for the win.

DD

15. redao

redao Member

It will be close to MLE. Bobcats suck.

16. Deuce17

Deuce17 New Member

What about going over the luxury tax? Will the Rockets still sign him?

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's less than Scola is making, barely. Pull the trigger Morey.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I love GARM. Even we can agree here.