1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 weeks until training camp / will landry be signed by then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Sep 9, 2008.

Tags:
?

how will the landry situation play out?

1. Landry, Dorsey, and Deke are all signed before camp starts

199 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. None are signed in time for camp because DM waits to sign landry first

62 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry is signed during preseason or regular season

99 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry & DM don't reach an agreement, Landry is let go.

79 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Turiaf is a thug, with limited talent. I'd rather have Hayes, and certainly Landry. And the Ancient Warrior. Ask me later if I'd include Dorsey, way too early to know, at this point.

Turiaf got the deal of a lifetime, and into a system he is destined to fail in. What a country!

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't think so. If he doesn't take the QO he remains a Rocket RFA until he has over 3 years of service in the league, so long as the Rockets don't renounce his rights/end their QO early.

For instance say the Rockets QO (about 1 mil) ends Oct 1 (the earliest end period for a QO to end). If he doesn't take the QO, the Rockets still have his rights--whether he plays in Europe or some other league or not at all. But if he takes the QO, he can play for 1 year, and then be an URFA.

If he signs a 1 or 2 year deal with us, or say three years with a option, after 2 or 3 years of total service (his rook year + 1 or 2 more)--he would still be a RFA so long as the Rockets keep up their QOs.

That is why it is to the Rockets advantage to negotiate a deal like I suggested....

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/nba/es/desarrollo/1165866.html
    Hoopshype's translation:

4. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Teams can still offer their MLE even if they are over the cap, so basically any teams that havent use the MLE can steal Landry aways from us if we decided to use the money on deke and dorsey. But signing Landry to a full MLE is basically overpaying for him and they still wouldnt know if his knee is going to hold up, so I dont think anyone is stupid enough to sign landry to such a deal. So basically we have nothing to worry about, and he is going to sign with the Rockets before camp start. Cause lets face it, he isnt really that good.

5. Albert Einstain

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, use the full MLE on Landrey THEN pay Lux $$$ on top? I am 100% for Landry, but at $10 - $12mm/year? Boozer money, before his opt out? I don't see any team paying that. Yet? Maybe in a couple or few seasons, I HOPE.

No, Mr Landry appears to be Memphis, overseas, or The Toy Shop.

7. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

oh gosh, don't let this be the stain on such a perfect off-season!

I am starting to worry that this holdout will continue till november. As of now, I don't think there has been any talks between morey and baker, as there were zero media reports on the landry situation.

It's getting real close to a lose-lose situation. I mean I think the down-side for landry is obviously greater, considering landry would not be able to play nor would his restricted status be gone. I endorse the rockets for taking a stance for righteousness as they have more bargaining power and reason for a lowered price with concerns over his knee.

8. SeeingRocketRed

I'm guessing no signing until there is power back in my house.

According to Centerpoint, that will be sometime "after Monday". That's my guess.

9. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Not all of that money would be over that cap. That's exaggerating quite a bit. Servicable big men are so rare now, it would be not entirely out of the question that someone like Carl commands around 4 million dollars of salary.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

centers are rare. undersized energy 4s are a dime a dozen.

11. Desert Scar

The earliest date a QO can end is 10/1. Landry would have even less leverage then, everybody chill, this is good b/c we likely won't overpay. Landry/agent were playing chicken and we have the Mack truck and they have the Yugo.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://bucksdiary.blogspot.com/2008/09/if-carl-landry-can-be-had-bucks-ought.html

13. jzhang

jzhang Member

Are you Landury's broker? Or even LD himself here? :D

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

got no optimism, even pre-season?

Utah is your spot.

15. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Great Info!!!!!!!!!

It is after this date that the situation becomes clear on Landry and if he'll be wif us nxt season.

but i really think the gilbert arenas situation makes it easier for us to talk with baker. i mean its pretty obvious no one would want to sign a guy for huge money only to see him rehab.

16. Desert Scar

In fairness I don't know if 10/1 IS the date of the end of the QO. It is what I would have done in the Rockets shoes, and my guess it is (by all account we have taken all measures to ensure leverage with the Landry situation), but I don't have inside info.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#36

In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This prevents the team from not offering a contract and waiting to swoop in when the player tries to sign elsewhere. The qualifying offer ensures that the team does not gain the right of first refusal without also offering a contract themselves. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 41). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 11) plus $175,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer (the qualifying offer must be accepted by March 1) and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 38).

A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.

As an aside. The danger with using any part of the MLE on Landry is not that we are vulnerable to a huge long term contract we can't match. If someone offered a 5 year 30 mil contract I don't think we would have matched anyway. The issue is if we had set a known limit we have left in our MLE then we would be susceptible to a one or two year contract $00.99 more than we could pay, and he would be gone (or Baker can say he has an offer for xxxxxxx and we are in no position to call his bluff) . That is why until the Landry thing is settled we can't spend a dime of the MLE on Deke or Dorsey. Besides, Dorsey (for sure) and Deke (probably) we can get at the league min if necc, using part of the MLE if it is there is just an extra bonus. That is why Dorsey isn't sweating and one way or the other knows he will be a Rocket but is patient enough to see if the extra year and a few bucks more per year is offered.

17. Chief Rocka

Chief Rocka Rookie

A thug? Ronny Turiaf is by far one of the coolest guys in the NBA. He makes Shane Battier look like a thug lol......

Not that there is anything wrong with having a thug persona, but Turiaf is the exact opposite. That guy has so much energy, heart, and passion......

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Seriously. Turiaf is supposed to be one of the nicest guys in the NBA...why would anyone think otherwise? Because of his cornrows? The fact he's big?

19. redao

redao Member

So does Ryan Bowen, only Turiaf is overpaid.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is exactly what worries me.

if the landry situation drags on into the season, and the rockets are forced to start the season with 3 big men missing from the roster.

or even if this lansts just through training camp, and the rockets can't sign dorsey who as a rookie needs to be there more than most guys. especially if landry eventually is gone and he is asked to play a larger role.