1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 weeks until training camp / will landry be signed by then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Sep 9, 2008.

Tags:
?

how will the landry situation play out?

1. Landry, Dorsey, and Deke are all signed before camp starts

199 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. None are signed in time for camp because DM waits to sign landry first

62 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry is signed during preseason or regular season

99 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry & DM don't reach an agreement, Landry is let go.

79 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dorsey is SOOOO unproven...I would rather have Landry than Dorsey....

DD

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

whs^....

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Right, but would you rather be thin on the PF position or lower your risk of losing Yao to injury (He's missed over a season's worth of games in the last 3/4 years (read in article, don't know if this is exactly correct))

Don't forget we have Hayes...he's good backup material. To me protecting Yao is big, the guy's already had a few issues with his legs/feet already, its imperative we watch his minutes. IMHO.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

A very fair point Chris, I would still not sign Dorsey and let the situation go.....

But, I would play Artest more at the PF, and rotate Hayes and Scola as backup center when the team goes small....

Not the best solution, but I don't think Dorsey is going to play that much this year anyway, while Landry would.

DD

5. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I think Dorsey will be a factor at some point, but he hasn't proven anything to us yet. Youth is not always the best solution considering that Mutumbo already provides leadership, many years of nba and playoff experience, knows the rockets team well and adelman's system, and has always stepped up with Defense and Rebouding whenever he was called upon... But we do need to limit Yao's minutes, we have too many weapons now to overburden him during regular season considering his size.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Basically what I said in the beginning, the rox should have signed Turiaf and shot landry,hayes and deke the deuce. They could have had a guy that could backup Scola for 2m and Yao for 2m. 10pts 6rebs and 2blks in 30mins would have given this team shot blocking,size and lineup flexibility. Some thought Rony got too much, I thought he gotthe right amount for a combo big man.

7. Landlord Landry

I hate to say it, because I love Deke, but he really is more of a hinder to this team. I know he gets the crowd pumped up whenever he blocks a shot, but man he just looked lost so much last season. If we are going to bring him back, it can't be with the sole intention of reducing Yao's minutes. Deke can't see more than 5-8 mpg.

that is unless, of course....we are blowing out all our opponets and the last 5-6 minutes of every game is trash time. ;)

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope, nay believe, that Deke will be an asset to Dorsey's development. Let's get'm all signed (maybe Deke as a coach until called upon for game service).

9. alcatrazpsycho

I don't remember anyone getting excited when we stole Landry from Seattle.
    I would rather have who's better for the team, simple as that. Who that person is with Landry's uncertain knee conditions and Dorsey's "unproven"-ness, I don't know.
    At this point, I wouldn't say I'd prefer one over the other though. That statement might haunt you one day. Probability of that is pretty low, but still, it's there.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

all of this talk of dorsey replacing an unsigned landry makes me think...

have people forgotten about chuck hayes or do they really think dorsey will be ahead of him on the depth chart?

IF landry isn't signed by camp, AND DM is waiting to sign landry before signing deke /dorsey, then a rookie (dorsey) that won't be signed / wont participate in training camp CANNOT be relied upon early in the season as a rotation player.

11. Shay

Shay Member

Dorsey will be signed by camo no matter what.
    If we are not able to sign Landry before camp we will just give Dorsey the standard 2 year rookie deal with a 2nd year team option.

Personally I see Dorsey getting minutes at center and not pf , if his defense translates fast and he will be close to Hayes defensively he will play more than Hayes.
    Dorsey is bigger , stronger , longer arms , more athletic and a better finisher.
    But we can't rely on him until he shows enough.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Worst case scenario Landry demands a trade. Which would mean the qualifying offer and at this stage other teams might be reluctant to give up pick/s or rookie scale talent.

If he stays and takes the QO that could be better than a scope. Rockets have a year to chek out his knee and gain his early bird rights.

The longer the holdout continues Landry wins out on the scope issue. The Rockets will probably drop that issue the closer it gets to opening night. Also Dorsey gets signed to a 2 year contract instead of 3.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

But then he is unrestricted after that year and I believe would have a trade veto power this year.

If the Rockets can't get a reasonable longer term contract (say somewhere between Scola and Hayes in amount/years) it is better to sign him to some kind of 1 or 2 year contract for a little more money than let him take the QO (about 1 mil 1 year). Say for example 1 year 2.2 mil; 2 years, 3.6 mil total with a player option; or 2 years 5 mil with a team option. These would protect the Rockets interests plus provide some more security to Landry.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Doesn't he he become unrestricted the following year with the trade veto power in any kind of one year deal?

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that would be shooting yourself in the foot if you plan on signing landry.

signing dorsey eats into the mle money which the rockets are holding on to in order to match any offer to landry. once the rockets don't have the full MLE, as DD stated earlier in this thread, any team that offers him more than the rockets can match will be able to steal him away from us.

dorsey and deke will have to wait for landry. if this drags out past camp or even preseaon, the rockets are looking at starting the season 3 big men short. of course i think DM is smart enough to sign dorsey and deke at that point and screw landry.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Went through a hurricane, no power and Carl still isn't signed. I was hoping to log on and finding out some big news. :(

17. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I would think because of Ike everything else would be put off. Including Rocket news.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I would say that about sums up this entire thread !! I am betting CL overplays his hand.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think DM would not screw Landry but would have Dorsey and Deke wait.....Deke doesn't need training camp, and Dorsey is probably not going to play much above the NBDL this year anyway.....so....I believe DM would wait Landry out.....Carl does not have that much money...and very few options.

I do think his agent is hoping for the scenario you mentioned that DM just moves on...but I believe he is far too shrewd for that.....we can get by with Chuck for a while until Landry signs.

DD

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What options remain for Landry? No one (outside Memphis) has money and/or roster space, it would seem to me. So, Int'l ball. Or ... what?