1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 weeks until training camp / will landry be signed by then?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Sep 9, 2008.

Tags:
?

how will the landry situation play out?

1. Landry, Dorsey, and Deke are all signed before camp starts

199 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. None are signed in time for camp because DM waits to sign landry first

62 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry is signed during preseason or regular season

99 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Dorsey & Deke sign before camp. Landry & DM don't reach an agreement, Landry is let go.

79 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. sfayner

sfayner Member

Landry was a major contributer to the Rocks 22 game win streak. Dorsey hasn't done a thing yet.

2. Trojan

Trojan Member

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Both extremes on this board make me thankful Daryl Morey is the GM and personnel decisions are not by referendum.

The sentiment that we should just cave in to the demands bring back bad memories of Moochie Norris and Mo Taylor.

On the flip side, this notion that we don't need him "because we now have Artest and Dorsey" and that we should just cut ties and sign Dorsey/Deke with that slotted money is equally as laughable. We may not necessarily "need" Landry, but it would be imprudent to just relinquish the rights to a good young talent, the first this team has actually had in many years, simply based on the rationale that we can cover the losses with our newfound 'depth'. You don't part with assets due to impatience. And besides, his athleticism and ability to finish around the rim gave this team an energy off the bench that it desperately needs.

Morey is playing this perfectly. There is no rush - certainly when the only thing at stake is the rights to a 49 year old Mutombo and the patience of fickle fans on a message board.

#63 thacabbage, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This kids is a quality post, you never give up an asset for free.

Morey is a shrewd businessman......

For the record, the reason Dorsey has not signed, and more than likely will not sign is that Morey wants to keep all the MLE available to stop other teams from stealing Landry.

If Morey were to dip into our MLE for even $1 another team could offer the full MLE and the Rockets could not match.

So, Dorsey waits on Landry...and the beat goes on.

Nice post Cabbage.

DD

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

6. Trojan

Trojan Member

Landry does have real value for his energy and his finishing off the bench, but it also true that he cann't creat for himself. I cann't aggree with you that Dream cann't creat for himself, so your example is nor proper for Landry's case.

7. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

8. Trojan

Trojan Member

I think 3 million is good for him, if I think he is valueless i shouldn't give him that much money.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DD, you evocative soul. Hakeem stole balls and went coast-to-coast, that is creating for oneself. Hakeem took passes and went, well ask The Admiral (sic) where he went, and went off. That is creating for oneself.

Bonzi created for himself, the stealing of money (salary) is what Bonzo created.

Who, besides the PGs and TMac/D-Wade/LBJ/Kobe's of the world create for themselves as you seem to be defining, in your ever evocative form?

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Deke doesn't need to be signed until the middle of the season or unless Yao get hurt. Deke doesn't need to be here during training camp.

Dorsey will be signed before training camp regardless of the Landry situation. I think the MLE-dorsey's contract is still too much for Landry.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and if this drags into the season a la varejao then we are out 3 big men, not just landry. i believe that if landry isn't signed by the start of the season, at least one of deke/dorsey will have to be signed.

12. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Any excuse:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLKWSYtA7do&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLKWSYtA7do&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Mr. Landry,

I think that you, the fans, and the Rockets organization deserve to know your physical status thoroughly as requested by the Rockets because in some cases an MRI isn't necessarily enough information to determine your knee's condition as a "Knee Scope" Arthroscopy could reveal.

The position that you and your agent have appeared to create is that "the less you say or reveal, the better for your contract negotiations."

Although the NBA is a business, the NBA is not a court of law.

A rational Carl Landry and Rockets fan such as myself would think, "If you are confident in your knee and you feel that there are no problems with it, then you should clearly explain strong and defined reasons for not taking a "Scope" rather than confuse the average -happy- go- lucky, "Carl Landry and Rockets Fan". :confused:

The impression that remains is that you probably have some issue with your knee because of you not providing good enough reasons as to why you should not get a scope, and that you are not being very clear with fans and teams to not jeapordize your potential contract.

Unfortunately, I think your current position is jeopardizing your potential contract because all of these other teams with common sense such as Rockets need to know fully understand your knee's condition before paying you the Big Bucks.

We love your game Carl... and you are certainly the type of player the Rockets want -Fire, Intensity, Energy, Passion, Strong Rebounding and Finishing, Nice jumper, etc. but I hope you realize a lot of fans particularly on this post don't know what is going on in your head and they are rightfully pissed off.

I'm starting to get upset myself the more I think about it... :mad:

I believe you will get paid Very Well regardless of whether or not you proceed with a scope, and even if you knees aren't 100%, We the fans and the rockets organization know that you would give 125% effort to make up the difference. :D

But I think it would be of greatest benefit to you and all to know if there are any problems with your golden knees. That way if you do need minor surgery, you could take care of that as early as possible and get back into groove asap. :cool:

If you do have a problem with the knee and you choose not to have surgery then you will obviously be held responsible for your performance and there will be no excuses because you have the opportunity to fix them now if necessary.

But even you chose not to have surgery knowing that your knee isn't 100%, the fans and rockets would know what Carl Landry is about, and that is all we can ask for...

P.S. Mutumbo deserves to write his own check, he was certainly our anchor when Yao was out. :)

To the nba players such as Carl, fans should not have to deliberate about these type of wishy-washy issues, but apparently we really have to... :rolleyes:

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

if Yao goes down this season, that leaves us with a very small front line of Scola and Dorsey. Mutombo will defintely be signed and i'm praying Landry will too.

15. djperm

Hopefully, Yao and the Rockets remain healthy especially for End of Season and Post Season... Dorsey may surprise us, but you know what to expect from Mutumbo. As for Landry, I think the outcome will be favorable for both sides :)

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

One things for sure, Landry's fantasy value has just about dropped into the Pacific Ocean. At least as far as my late round choices go.

17. djperm

Don't worry his value will return, just like his tooth! :D

18. cmellon

cmellon Member

I would have guessed that DM has made an offer to Landry and also gave him a deadline to think about it.

We just do not know what the deadline of the offer is. Landry and his agent maybe are still taking their time to look for better offer.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Deadlines won't work.....they can't sign Dorsey until Landry signs.

DD

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't think Landry is needed, we have Scola and Dorsey......to me we need a backup C more than another PF. Mount Mutumbo is too old, we need a young guy who can play some minutes in place of Ming. I really think we need to watch Ming's minutes this season.