1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 Positions we can upgrade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Nov 3, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can positively say that the SF (Pap and Ariza, Garcia), SG position (Harden,Daniels,Terry) can be considered 'set' for the moment.

Positions that should or might get upgraded by importance (can be adjusted)

Backup C (After Dwight there is little, Black is trying but is too young) I have little faith in Dorsey

Playmaking at the PG position (We are 20th in team assists and can only improve) Neither Bev nor Canaan is known to be a good playmaker

PF position (Terrence has been doing well, Dmo is still the old self)
    We need a veteran there although the situation has not been as bad as it was one year ago

Reactions post below

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

All agree but how do you suggest we do that? D-Mo, Canaan & Dorsey are worth jack and no way we trade any of the other players.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about the Von Wafers and Adriens of this world.... We keep signing them and dropping them....

Well, Morey better keep finding finished or close to finished products worldwide instead of searching for that 3rd star. Leave the 3rd star to the offseason.....(not so sure about Rondo, will evaluate more)

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Adrien wouldn't make that much of a difference though he still deserved it way more than Dorsey. Morey needs to be realistic and admit that with his focus on that 3rd star, he basically screwed us out of some good talent on the bench. I love what he's done for us, but if all he can focus on is that 3rd star, he might be done..

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the PF/C can be the same player, and the PG can be a cheap vet. the problem is both have to be on ending contracts so we can still go after rondo/millsap/etc... this summer.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I don't think Morey will upgrade the mentioned weakness dramatically before trade deadline, given that the main focus is on getting a 3rd star next summer. The Rockets neither have spare assets to trade or cap room to sign for upgrades.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think Millsap is in the category as Rondo who makes everyone around him better

Millsap is a crafty player who can get 17 and 8-9 boards but is inferior to Horford

One time allstar (borderline) in the weaker East

At least Rondo won a ship and was one of the best in the Finals (another level of pedigree)

I agree to that but if Rondo cannot be had, we should develop better role players and trade for veterans

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not sure about just adding a veteran PG. If there is a Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry type deal out there I would be all for it. I don't know who that is though. The main thing is that I don't want change for the sake of change. Right now Jason Terry, Patrick Beverly and Issiah Canaan have been doing good at the point but more than the previous two seasons, James is running the offense.

I see zero benefit in replacing Black with Adrian. If Jermain ONeal or Emeka Okafor are willing to come here at some point then one of those two would be ideal I would think.

I really like the Rockets when the go small with Pappa and Ariza at the 2 forward positions. Pappa is so good moving the ball, he is the new king of the Hockey assist for the Rockets.

Part of the issue with the Rockets is that they are going deeper into the shot clock this season. Last season the were really trying harder to get Dwight more touches in the pick and roll, more so than so far in this season (only 3 game sample). This season it seems they are more intent on dumping the ball into Dwight with his back to the basket. Last year in the play-offs he just abused Robin Lopez when they did that but this season he's not making the same aggressive move to the rim. It also appears that the Rockets aren't running like they did in the previous edit two season.

When I watched the Mavs the other night the ball was snapping around the court getting the defenders out of position and creating easy shots at the basket. I see some of that in spurts with the Rockets but it really seems they are more interested in going one on one regardless if it's James, Dwight or TJ. I just don't see as many assists at the rim as I have the last couple of season which I would guess has something to do with the lack of team assists.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Of course, but these players don't come cheap and Morey doesn't have many assets left, so he's waiting for the best deals, and those obviously aren't materializing - yet.

Soon

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why did we trade away Brooks?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Because he wouldn't get any PT with Lin and Bev around and we needed help on the wing.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

^^^ This! Plus we can't reacquire him if we don't let him go...:eek:

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I think the big man is more a concern than the pg position at this time....

T_Man

14. dragician

dragician Member

Rondo is a big upgrade if we can get him.

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I'm more worried about reserved big men, for the team. Our point guard play will be average and Harden plays de facto point guard so little to no worries there.

Jones has played well but I'm still worried about matchups against stronger teams. If Jones can provide something when we face the Griffins, LMA, Ibakas, Loves of the world, then I wouldn't worry as much. But he hasn't in the past and right now, Dwight is our only reliable big man. Our focus should be big man depth. Hopefully a O'Neal or Okafor can be had for a minimum when they get healthy. Or use the TPE to snag someone like Brandon Bass.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree that a upgrade at the 4 is a bigger concern than than the 1, because of James' ball handling and passing.

Terry is definitely helping there, and Canaan has had one good game. K-Pap is a good passer too. Nevertheless, it is obvious that Beverely's injury history is a matter of concern.

We all saw what happened, when Harden got all the defensive attention in the playoffs. We do need another ball handler/shooter/defender.

At the current time, we don't have the assets for a big upgrade at either position. Let's hope for the best.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

That was a mistake, I'm sure Morey would agree. Hamilton did not pan out. I saw brooks the other day when Rose went down and he looked really good. I sure would feel more comfortable if the Rockets had him.

The ESP between Jones and Harden is nice, love the chemistry between those two.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I know the Bulls are all in this season but it would be nice if they decide to move one of their bench bigs this year. For different reasons, Mirotic or Gibson would do wonders for the Rockets.

I get why Morey drafted Motiejunas over Mirotic at the time, but we clearly know now that maybe it would have served the Rockets well to have put a little more patience into the situation. However, they didn't know that they were getting Dwight, and Motiejunas projected to be more than just a stretch 4 & was big enough to eventually be a 5.

However years later, now with Dwight on board, Mirotic is perfect for this year. Has the size to match up with bigger PF's in the West, and is perfect offensively for what this team needs.

I'd love to also keep TJ as well. Me saying that the Rockets need to upgrade the 4/5 doesn't really mean anything about TJ other than the Rockets need other things than he provides on a daily basis. Doesn't mean what he provides isn't important for the Rockets as well in a regular rotation.

I'd love to have Gibson as well if they let him go. Its doubtful though since the Bulls really love him and rely on his defense late in games. If the Rockets were able to get ahold of him alongside Dwight, they would have one of the best defensive front lines that I can recall having since the Hakeem/Thorpe days. That lineup would be great defensively, and a gamble I would bank on 7 days a week.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gibson

I never understood fully why Chicago did what they did at the 4 spot. Playing Boozer over Gibson as a starter. And now getting Gasol to play starter.

They have never given him a full season as a starter for them. No confidence in Taj?!

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The Heat have Norris Cole starting. Then they have Napier who's had a good rookie campaign thus far, showing promise. Then there's Mario Chalmers coming off the bench.

I wonder if we can get our hands on Chalmers? He's not an awesome player, but he's a good all round PG with post season experience developed in a good system both offensively and defensively. He would provide some good depth behind Beverley. They seem to be thinnest at backup SG and we could potentially send them Garcia. Maybe Terry or Daniels if we get a good deal. If not Chalmers, then maybe they're willing to part with Cole who I guess would be a better option than Canaan just based on experience.

I'm also going to keep throwing out Brandon Bass. Just the type of guy who can solidify our 4 spot. Above average defense. Good offense. Decent range. Lots of experience. Surely doesn't fit into Boston's plans. I'm sure they would rather take a chance on D-Mo than keep playing a guy who's hit his ceiling in Brandon Bass.

I think we have the bi-annual exception to grab Jermaine O'Neal or Emeka Okafor down the road.

I really believe a couple of minor moves like that could propel us to top 3 status - plus it would reduce the necessity to shoot for a max player this coming summer.