1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 point shot, good or bad for the game?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by superfob, Dec 10, 2015.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...egg-popovich-says-3-pointer-circus-sort-thing

Purist in me says the original goal of team offense was to get the ball closer to the hoop for "high %" shots.

3 point shot was designed to open the spacing on the court, but when teams are on a 2v1 fast break and jacking up 3pters, I feel like something's wrong there.

Wonder if NBA would consider moving the line back like they did when they moved them closer and then back again. This in theory should bring back the now extinct mid-range game or revive post players. Obviously there's no more room on the baselines so those would still be the best shots to take.

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Seems to work fine for the Rockets.

3. boiler

boiler Member

Of course. Morey is a genius. In Morey we trust.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is a reason why the NBA became more popular after the introduction of the 3 pt shot.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Magic Johnson and Larry Bird?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We need a 4 pointer. It would make game more exciting. Image down 4 with 3 seconds do go and you hit a 4 pointer.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Despite my name....

... 3 point shots are great. It doesn't discriminate short people, gives a chance for everyone be good at basketball. Doesn't make tall stiffs superior by default.

8. dmorey

dmorey Member

love the 3 point shot
    negates the height advantage of stupid big guys without any basketball skills
    where's the skill in just dunking the ball and not even being able to hit a simple unguarded freethrow?

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's good for the game. Enable guys like Curry to be great. I like to see them extend the 3pt line out and widen the court.

(intentional fouling someone without the ball outside the 3 pt like should also = 3 FT)

10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

1979-80 season. Bird, magic were rookies and they also introduced the 3 point line that season.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not sure if I like it or not. Many people on ClutchFans never saw the NBA without the three point shot. Sometimes watching three pointer after three pointer all night gets a little boring.

12. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

It is only bad when the Warriors are playing

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They need to widen the court. But that's never gonna happen because owners aren't giving up seats.

14. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Maybe limit the # of 3 point shots you can make in a game - like max 10, anything you make after that will only count 2 points.

This way, the 3 point shot involves a little more strategy in when you want to take them, and you don't get teams blindly shooting 3 pointers over and over again.

Plus, you get more parity in the league (which is always a good thing).

15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Only bad teams (like us) blindly shoot them over and over, like all the times we let brewer clang wide open 3s....you ever wonder that he's so wide open because he sucks at shooting??

Good teams like (gsw) already use strategy to shoot them.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

That might actually make it worse. If I was a coach, I would emphasize hitting those 10 3pointers every game and preventing the other team from reaching the 10 shot mark.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't see how it's a negative. Who wants to watch layups and short jumpers all game?

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's good for the game.

What is bad for the game is how soft it is now compared to back then. No hand checking and how they officiate the low post is what needs to change back. At this rate every team will be playing small ball and I guess that's what the league wants since they don't even recognize the center in the all-star games any more.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I love it but in fact I would even further the game by introducing a 4 pointer and a 5 pointer.

4 pointer line somewhere between the 3 pt line and half court
    5 pointer from right beyond half court. Step on the half court line and it's a 4 pointer.