1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 NYPD detectives cleared in 50-shot killing of groom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Icehouse, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5730201.html

NEW YORK — Three detectives were acquitted of all charges today in the 50-shot killing of an unarmed groom-to-be on his wedding day, a case that put the NYPD at the center of another dispute involving allegations of excessive firepower.

Justice Arthur Cooperman delivered the verdict in a Queens courtroom packed with spectators, including victim Sean Bell's fiancee and parents, and at least 200 people gathered outside the building.

The verdict provoked an outpouring of emotions: Bell's fiancee immediately walked out of the room. His mother cried.

Outside the courthouse, which was surrounded by scores of police officers, many in the crowd began weeping as news of the verdict said. Others were enraged, swearing and screaming "Murderers! Murderers!" or "KKK!"

Bell, a 23-year-old black man, was killed in a hail of gunfire outside a seedy strip club in Queens on Nov. 25, 2006 — his wedding day — as he was leaving his bachelor party with two friends.

Officers Michael Oliver, 36, and Gescard Isnora, 29, stood trial for manslaughter while Officer Marc Cooper, 40, was charged only with reckless endangerment. Two other shooters weren't charged. Oliver squeezed off 31 shots; Isnora fired 11 rounds; and Cooper shot four times.

The officers, complaining that pretrial publicity had unfairly painted them as cold-blooded killers, opted to have the judge decide the case rather than a jury.

The judge indicated that the police officers' version of events was more credible than the victims' version. "The people have not proved beyond a reasonable doubt that each defendant was not justified" in firing, he said.

A conviction on manslaughter could have brought up to 25 years in prison; the penalty for reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor, is a year behind bars.

The case brought back painful memories of other NYPD shootings, such as the 1999 shooting of Amadou Diallo — an African immigrant who was gunned down in a hail of 41 bullets by police officers who mistook his wallet for a gun. The acquittal of the officers in that case created a storm of protest, with hundreds arrested after taking to the streets in demonstration.

The mood surrounding this case has been muted by comparison, although Bell's fiancee, parents and their supporters, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, have held rallies demanding that the officers — two of whom are black — be held accountable.

Still, a phalanx of police officers, some uniformed and some in the department's community affairs polo shirts, was stationed outside the courthouse Friday. The building was ringed by metal barricades. Some in the crowd wore buttons with Bell's picture or held signs saying "Justice for Sean Bell." After the verdict was read, some in the crowd approached officers but were held back; the jostling quickly died down.

After the verdict, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly acknowledged that some people were disappointed with the acquittals.

"We don't anticipate violence, but we are prepared for any contingency," he said.

The nearly two-month trial was marked by deeply divergent accounts of the night.

The defense painted the victims as drunken thugs who the officers believed were armed and dangerous. Prosecutors sought to convince the judge that the victims had been minding their own business, and that the officers were inept, trigger-happy aggressors.

None of the officers took the witness stand in his own defense. Instead, Cooperman heard transcripts of the officers testifying before a grand jury, saying they believed they had good reason to use deadly force. The judge also heard testimony from Bell's two injured companions, who insisted the maelstrom erupted without warning.

Both sides were consistent on one point: The utter chaos surrounding the last moments of Bell's life.

"It happened so quick," Isnora said in his grand jury testimony. "It was like the last thing I ever wanted to do."

Bell's companions — Trent Benefield and Joseph Guzman — also offered dramatic testimony about the episode. Benefield and Guzman were both wounded; Guzman still has four bullets lodged in his body.

Referring to Isnora, Guzman said, "This dude is shooting like he's crazy, like he's out of his mind."

The victims and shooters were set on a fateful collision course by a pair of innocuous decisions: Bell's to have a last-minute bachelor party at Kalua Cabaret, and the undercover detectives' to investigate reports of prostitution at the club.

As the club closed around 4 a.m., Sanchez and Isnora claimed they overheard Bell and his friends first flirt with women, then taunt a stranger who responded by putting his right hand in his pocket as if he had a gun. Guzman, they testified, said, "Yo, go get my gun" — something Bell's friends denied.

Isnora said he decided to arm himself, call for backup — "It's getting hot," he told his supervisor — and tail Bell, Guzman and Benefield as they went around the corner and got into Bell's car. He claimed that after warning the men to halt, Bell pulled away, bumped him and rammed an unmarked police van that converged on the scene with Oliver at the wheel.

The detective also alleged that Guzman made a sudden move as if he were reaching for a gun.

"I yelled 'Gun!' and fired," he said. "In my mind, I knew (Guzman) had a gun."

Benefield and Guzman testified that there were no orders. Instead, Guzman said, Isnora "appeared out of nowhere" with a gun drawn and shot him in the shoulder — the first of 16 shots to enter his body.

"That's all there was — gunfire," he said. "There wasn't nothing else."

With tires screeching, glass breaking and bullets flying, the officers claimed that they believed they were the ones under fire. Oliver responded by emptying his semiautomatic pistol, reloading, and emptying it again, as the supervisor sought cover.

The truth emerged when the smoke cleared: There was no weapon inside Bell's blood-splattered car.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

why is this in the D&D?

3. bucket

bucket Member

Where else would it go? The GARM?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i hope after fifty bullets and one dead they found those prostitutes

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am trying to figure out the worse part in this. . . .
    The Verdict . . . or the fact that I am not surprised

in fact. . I have spoken to several black people
    ranging from those in NY to ATL to Dallas to Cali
    and
    none are surprised by the verdict.
    Most of them are no where near as radical as myself
    they are from all walks of life

It is not that the agree with the verdict
    but there is no expectation of justice . . .esp when cops are involved with minorities
    real or imagined . . .
    when a significant portion of your population has little to no expectation of justice. . .that is a problem

Rocket River

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

undercover cops shooting someone to death over a prostitution investigation. it can't get more ridiculous, and like you say its sad its not surprising

7. bigtexxx

Do you know anything about the case? Do you feel that the jury made the wrong decision based on the evidence presented to them?

Or do you just sit back and lazily cry racism? It's interesting to note the only people to reply to this thread...

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By all accounts - it was not an easy case to call and both sides offered compelling witness testimony in court. Under a reasonable doubt standard, I am not surprised that a (edit the judge, it was a bench trial) voted to acquit.

Have you and your friends followed the case any or are you just automatically assuming that these three defendants (two of whom are black) are guilty because they are cops?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right sam, I haven't followed the case. i just can't get past the fifty bullets. i understand mistakes happen

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

says the guy b****ing about blacks voting for obama and claiming he knows most of them are ignorant of issues. where's that research

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, the irony!

The case didn't have a jury. Did you read the article or sit back and lazily reproach the posters in this thread according to the color of their skin?

12. SamFisher

13. bigtexxx

I admitted my only evidence of them being ignorant of issues was anecdotal. I cannot confirm that they are all ignorant of issues, in fact I'm certain that not all of them are ignorant of the issues

admit it, though, there are a lot of folks out there that just roll their eyes and cry racism about this case's result without any knowledge of the case itself

14. bigtexxx

jury, judge, whoever. that point doesn't matter. I am not claiming the judge was right or wrong in his decision, just questioning whether others had facts on the case. Samf did the same thing.

15. SamFisher

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hadn't seen his yet. No, it doesn't matter, except that when you criticize others, you have to be careful what you write so you don't look like a hypocrite.

I agree it's not clear that justice was denied in this case. But, given their history, it's hard to give NYPD the benefit of the doubt. Knowing little about the case myself and thinking of the human terms, I suspect the cops were a bit too wound up and nervous going into the situation and then panicked when things escalated.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So blacks can't be racist against their own?

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I've followed the case enough to know that these cops shot their guns 50 times at 3 unarmed men leaving a bachelor party at a strip club - killing the husband-to-be before his wedding. I didn't think the NYPD could top the 41 shots fired at the unarmed Amadou Diallo, but they did. I hope these detectives never work in any law enforcement capacity again and Sean Bell's family wins the wrongful death suit so that there is a slight measure of justice. Like many others, I'm not surprised by the verdict either, which doesn't say much about the justice system.

19. bigtexxx

so why do you feel the judge ruled differently?

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I haven't followed the case either, but I think the number of bullets is largely irrelevant. If the cops had legitimate reason to feal threatened, the number of bullets shouldn't matter. A well-trained gunman can shoot 16 times, replace the clip and shoot 15 more pretty quickly. (I assume that's what Oliver did.) If they didn't have legitimate reason to feel threatened, they should go to jail. The 50th bullet didn't make the victim any deader than say the 11th.