1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 day trip to Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I are the same way but we just couldn't do the winters. We try to spend a couple of weekends a year up there.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Smashing Pumpkins museum.

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I spent 6.5 hours in Midway airport yesterday. Does that count?

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Go to the Green Mill.

Eat at Svea.

5. pd_

pd_ Member

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I really appreciate that! I checked it out however, (had actually stumbled across it right before I saw it here) and it looks like they send it via mail. It takes 5-10 days. We're leaving in two, so no go for me, unfortunately.

I just booked our hotel. We're staying out a ways in Skokie in order to save money. What sucks is we're about two miles from the train, so I'll have to drive that every day. Oh well.

I'm a bit nervous as we don't really have anything planned.

I think I'll buy tickets to Wednesday's Cubs/Marlins game tomorrow, provided I can find a good deal online.

Thank you everyone for the help! Keep posting, as I'll keep checking on this even while I'm there.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Why Skokie? That's pretty far and you'll have to take the Metra into the city (Metra is the suburban rail and is not part of the CTA). That's unless you take the CTA Yellow line from Skokie to Howard, and transfer to the Red line to get downtown...but that would take an hour and a half each way.

If you're looking to save money, your best bet is a hotel near O'Hare (these tend to be a lot nicer than hotels near Midway). The Blue line runs 24 hours a day (the Metra and most other CTA lines do not) & most O'Hare hotels have free shuttles from either the airport or the Rosemont Blue line station. If your Skokie hotel is refundable, give me your budget and dates and I'll let you know your best bet for hotels.

8. s land balla

Having lived in Chicago for the past five years, here are a few of my favorite restaurants:

- Pequod's: Best deep dish pizza in Chicago by far, trust me. I've tried them all.

- Piece: I know thin crust pizza might not be on your agenda in Chicago, but this place is awesome. The white (no sauce) with spinach is amazing. They also brew their own beer.

- The Original Pancake House: I know this place is a chain, but this particular location is great. It's probably my favorite breakfast spot in all of Chicago, especially on a Sunday morning/afternoon when it's always packed. It's on the South Side (near the University of Chicago), and you really get a good feel for what the South Side is really like. I've tried all of the fancy brunch places in Chicago as well, but this place is still my favorite. This location is completely safe, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Get the Southwestern Skillet.

- Athenian Room: Really good, family-run Greek restaurant in Lincoln Park. Get the Kalamata Chicken.

- Intelligentsia Coffee: The best coffee in Chicago, without a doubt.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Go dressed as Bartman, you'll be a hit with the fans.......I mean you'll get hit by the fans.

Been there as well and loved it. They have good sized portions.

My sister and I drove around there afterwards looking for Obama's house and some of the other famous people who live nearby. I can't remember the name of the neighborhood but it was a surprise.

Try taking an architectual tour. They're very interesting and some are pretty cheap. The river tour is pretty cool.

10. s land balla

Hyde Park. Barak's house is less than a mile down the road from the pancake house. Here's a map.

#30 s land balla, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Second to Pequods! Ate there earlier this month. Sausage and extra cheese please! One thing I really like doing is driving around Lincoln park and anywhere north Chicago. Lot of things to look at and I don't mind the traffic

12. The Drake

The Drake Member

This is good stuff, I'll be going for a weekend in October and can't wait (never been before)!

That aquarium looks awesome, I'm a big fan of marine wildlife.

13. The Drake

The Drake Member

Also, am I an idiot for wanting to go to Wiener's Circle?

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Nope. Just be prepared to get yelled at. ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. The Drake

The Drake Member

Awesome! That's what I'm hoping for

16. Two Sandwiches

I will definitely try Pequods! We plan on going to the Lincoln Park Zoo, and doing a few things in and around that area.

As far as hotels, we did one of those Hotwire mega deal things where you don't really know what hotel it is, just a price. First time I've ever done that. Big gamble, and I think we may have lost, considering it's about two miles from the nearest train station! I don't mind this, and look forward to riding the train in. My wife might, though.

Any ideas on if there is parking at the Jefferson Park Transit Center? And if so, how much and how safe is it? Is this a decent location? Like I said, I kind of wish we had booked something a little closer, but so goes the world when you're cheap.

I'm looking to do a few things, like the Lincoln Park Zoo, Shedd Aquarium, Millenium Park, maybe the Willis observation deck, or just the John Hancock bar, and eating some pizza.

I've heard a lot about Piece, and I might have to try that out.

Thanks to all! Keep it coming.

#36 Two Sandwiches, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  17. Two Sandwiches

How have I never heard of this place!?!

Are they still filming the show? Looks awesome.

I'll definitely try to get the wife to go.

18. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

<iframe width="640" height="465" src="http://teamcoco.com/embed/v/36411" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. s land balla

Lol, my coworker is in that video at the 6:40 mark... :grin:

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Goose Island