1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Dem Debate - Jul 30-31, 2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RayRay10, Jul 21, 2019.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Russian talking points"? You're just making up the "Russian" part, right? I mean in a literal sense what you're saying is false. Link to the Russian memo?

You have a real thing for Syria, as do most Democrats, it seems.

What do YOU want to do in Syria?

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Was Booker calling Biden Mr. Rice President? So he gets asked a question that he can’t answer and he says you’re dipping into koolaid and you dont even know what the flavor is. Are you fukin shittin me? What the hell does that even mean? When de Blasio and Booker are seen to have had a good night then you know you’re in trouble. Gabbard is the only candidate I am intrigued with.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. VanityHalfBlack

This dude said kool-aid, lmao

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just stop.

I supported Obama’s tough unpopular decision at the time to stay out of Syria at the time despite Assad’s atrocities. It’s not the substance of policy on Syria, it’s the way she talks about it that sounds like a quote from Sputnik. (DailyBeast report earlier in the year about her hiring pro Putin/Rt linked consultants to write her policy agenda FYI) It’s the way she answers the question that is unlike any other candidate would and her defensive tone. There is little daylight between Russia and Assad and you know this.

She’s incapable of simply calling out Assad. It’s just weird. Calling him and Putin out for their crimes against humanity has nothing to do with saber rattling for war.

And you going after me as if I’m some neocon war monger is even more bizarre. You obviously haven’t followed many of my posts.

#225 dobro1229, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's his strategy to not attack others, and focus on solution. What I like about him.

After 4 debates, many of the DEM politicians up there on the stage is .... to said not mildly... dum* as a fk ...

Other people have already pointed it out already. But tonight is especially weird. Obama has a 95% approval rating among Dem and these guys spend time attacking his records. Really? They don't understand how the executive branch work? They don't understand how Congress work? Of course they do.

biff17, mdrowe00 and The Real Shady like this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm not going after you; Im going after what you say. You are an interventionist. You want to "fix" other countries.

So, you admit you're just making up the "Russian" stuff.

"Little daylight between Russia and Assad": what does that even mean? And how does it relate to Tulsi Gabbard?

You forgot to say what you want to do in Syria.

8. VanityHalfBlack

The 7 mins he was given to speak, he spoke directly to the camera and to the American people about job loss and automation. Problem solver, yang gang baby!

jcf and B-Bob like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What I want to do in Syria is work through NATO, Israel, and our other allies to put pressure on Russia to devise a treaty to stop efforts of continuing these proxy wars in the Middle East. Second, I want to cut the world from dependency on fossil fuel so there’s little demand for it and little need to secure land in the region for economic purposes.

You have to be kidding me on Putin and Assad. Do you really know nothing about Syria? The night Trump sent a few missiles over who did he call....and why did he call Russian forces... because it was their fighter Jets on that airstrip. Assad is a proxy for Russia in the Middle East, and if you don’t know this you are pretty behind on current events.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It’s his strategy not to attack but if he were relevant they would attack him. They don’t bother. They don’t even bother to respond to his policy positions

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The only reason the lower tier candidates get attacked is because their strategy is to attack the higher tier candidates. Polling wise, many of them are less relevant than Yang.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This is an amazing interview. It's like watching that video from 1994 with Katie Couric and Greg Gumbel first learning about the Internet. Andrew has that entire panel leaning in hard on his policy and eager to know more. He is the smartest guy in just about every room he walks in to and it shows. Just a very impressive dude.

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It'll be interesting to see who makes it to the 3rd debate, guessing only half of the folks that were on stage the last two days are for sure

The following have already met requirements:
    Joe Biden
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Beto O'Rourke
    Bernie Sanders
    Elizabeth Warren
    Cory Booker
    Andrew Yang

Castro (polling) and Klobuchar (donors) are getting close to being up there.

Not sure anyone else makes it. Gabbard will have to get a huge bump in both donors and polls to make it and, while she did well last night, I'm not sure she'll meet the requirements. Of course, there's already controversy surrounding Gabbard and Google as she's been going after them due to some issues with their advertising.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/31/tulsi-gabbard-google-trump-1629994

14. DonnyMost

There's simply bigger fish to fry right now.

Swinging at Harris, Biden, or Bernie will net you more votes and more headlines than swinging at Yang.

Right now, anyone taking shots at Yang is giving him more mindshare and not doing themselves any favors in the process.

When Yang enters Tier 2 (think Pete B) territory, we will start to see doubters come at him.

But for now, he is and should be focused exclusively on introducing himself and his ideas to the American public.

It's going to be fun watching him respond to attacks. I have a feeling he will be a master counter-puncher.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say we start a ClutchFans Fund Drive for Gabbard. who's with me?

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The candidates all did so excellently over the last two debates they are all champions -- in fact the Democratic party is the big winner with so many outstanding party members.

17. DonnyMost

Gabbard is only like 10K away from hitting the donor threshold. She will clear 130K easy. Her real challenge is getting 3 more qualifying polls, which is completely doable, but not a sure thing. She did herself a lot of favors last night though, so she should make it.

Basically September is shaping up to be the bloodbath we were waiting for with only these folks making it.

Joe Biden
    Pete Buttigieg
    Kamala Harris
    Beto O'Rourke
    Bernie Sanders
    Elizabeth Warren
    Cory Booker
    Andrew Yang
    Julian Castro
    Amy Klobuchar
    Tulsi Gabbard

Hickenlooper and Steyer are on the bubble with both of them likely getting the ax because of the donor threshold.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

You and @DonnyMost are both agreeing with me without wanting to actually say it.

He's irrelevant right now. That could change, but right now, he's irrelevant.

The lower tier candidates see no reason to attack him because there is nothing to gain, the mid tier candidates don't see him as a threat to them and the upper tier candidate probably doesn't even know he's on stage.

I like Andrew Yang well enough and I think his core issue (automation killing jobs) is one of the two biggest threats to American (and global) society, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's impacting anything right now. Nobody is responding to his positions. Nobody is adopting them. Nobody is attacking them. Nobody is acknowledging them.

You want to see he's not the LEAST relevant candidate? Sure I'll agree. He's still irrelevant.

19. justtxyank

Gillibrand needs to stay dead in the polls or she will qualify. She has the donors, amazingly enough.

20. DonnyMost

It's hard for me to consider anybody in the top 10 irrelevant at this point. But you are right that the top 5 are living in a different world. If we're considering anybody out of the top 5 "irrelevant", that means Gabbard, Booker, O'Rouke, and Castro fall in that category, and I just don't agree that they are. It doesn't help that Yang has been shut out of legacy media disproportionately to his polling and donors. Plus he is starting from a place of less name recognition than any other candidate. Add on top of that his flagship policies are very new and different, which makes it hard to talk about him in relation to the rest of the noise going on.

The bolded part is where I am already seeing the worm turn for Yang. Yang jokes a lot that "no one disputes what I'm saying", but I take that as vindication, not derision. Hell, I've even seen people on this BBS start talking more about the problems Yang is talking about over the last few weeks. That interview with the CNN panel last night was like watching the light bulb go on. Van Jones and Whoopi Goldberg stumped for him yesterday. Two of his debate clips made the front page of Reddit last night. It really does feel like there's a shift happening.

I think Yang will hit the 2nd Tier of candidates in September and join the Pete B and Kamala party.