1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Possibly to emphasize he was without shoes for a while. To further drive home he isn't a jogger.

I don't see how having dirty nails makes you less human.

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Was Arbery without shoes for a while that day? I saw some people saying that he wasn't wearing shoes appropriate for jogging, but I haven't seen mentions of him not having shoes.

And clearer videos of Arbery at the construction site did show him with sneakers, not construction boots.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When you run, you kick up dirt. When I jog through a dry field, I’m washing dirt off my calves and ankles when I get home. The dirt stops at the top of my socks. Saying his nails are dirty makes his sockless jogging seem more plausible now. She should have driven her argument home by focusing on the cargo shorts and lack of socks. Mentioning “dirty toenails” drove it into a ditch.

4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

This video has a good timeline and visualization of how the two trucks chased and surrounded Arbery.

The McMichaels should not be able to claim self defense when they are the ones to chase and block Arbery with their vehicles as well as brandishing a shotgun. Arbery made several attempts to get away from them.

Merely suspicion of a crime should not be enough to justify their actions. I should not be allowed to stand outside a massage parlor and hold people coming out of it with my gun under suspicion of prostitution. Then claim self defense when they try to disarm me.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It comes down to them not being an actual witness to his crime. They cannot perform an arrest themselves because the crime was a few days ago. I don't think the defense was arguing self defense they were arguing probable cause for a crime because police actually went around with his photo and linked him too burglary. Without them being a witness and with them not stopping him in the act their arrest ability goes out the window and they are hosed.

joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think it's more than reasonable to stop Arbery because he wasn't from the neighborhood and you'd have to be incredibly naive to believe that he was jogging there. Arbery ran from them (guilty conscious) and then tried to wrestle the gun from the 35-year old man.

How many of you would be OK with Arbery walking around at an under-construction home next to yours? I guarantee 90% of you would call the police. The three men were trying to protect their neighborhood. It's a tragedy that Arbery died, but the three men were acting with good intentions... but things went tragically bad with a shooting death after Arbery tried to take their gun.

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So... according to reports, white people had been on that property as well. Why was it reasonable to call police (which Arbery's killers didn't do) for a black man but not for white people?

Are you aware that there is absolutely zero evidence that Arbery ever stole anything from that property?

Also, a black man running from 3 white men in trucks is a sign of a guilty conscience? It's not a sign of "crap, 3 white men are chasing me in pickup trucks". I'll keep that in mind if anyone ever chooses to chase me

Are you aware that one of the guys actually admitted to hitting him with his truck?

#1387 bobrek, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    joshuaao, red, Lar and 2 others like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

So what do you honestly believe Arbery was doing at that construction site? I'm genuinely interested in hearing your answer.

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. bobrek

I have no idea. He may have been scoping it out. He may have been just looking around. What we know for a fact is that he didn't and hadn't stolen anything from the site.

So, why didn't those guys just call the police as you claim 90% of "us" would have done? Why did they go chasing the N-word as one of them was quoted as calling Arbery?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. bobrek

@rocketsjudoka

Your post got messed up with the quote tag.

Anyway, it is interesting that he said 90% of "us" would have called the police, and left out the fact that his killers didn't. He didn't bother to address my point about that.

Sadly, what he said is true, to a degree. If people see a black guy in that situation they may call the police. If it's a white guy, they don't.

When we were finalizing the sale of our Apple Valley residence, we had a couch in the garage that our black friend was going to pick up. He is the size and build of a linebacker. His brother is built like a corner back, so they would be considered imposing. I felt it necessary to put a note out on our neighborhood FB page telling people that a couple of guys (I left out the word black) would be opening our garage and taking some furniture.

On our Nextdoor neighborhood page, whenever folks see black kids out on bikes after dark, there are a slew of them who jump to conclusions. "Why are they out at night"? "Those bikes are probably stolen". "Make sure your cars are locked".

Whenever it's white kids..."We all ride our bikes after dark". "They are just kids being kids". "At least they're not out breaking the law".

#1391 bobrek, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5th Amendment buddy.

Either way you're gonna be disappointed in the verdict.

AleksandarN and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. bobrek

Yeah... he must be really pissed at the Rittenhouse verdict. After all, Rittenhouse was 15-20 miles from his home, Arbery was 2 miles from his.

14. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Wow, did you really cut short my quote and then try to argue based on the shortened quote? Sorry, but that's just not right.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

As much as I don’t want to go against Trader here because he’s the legend and I agree with him 99 percent- We have to be fair- in the case of Rittenhouse- He was intercepted multiple times by violent rioters/ protesters and he had no choice but to invoke the privilege of self defense when evade had no positive outcome as every American has that… this case the guy that got killed may have been going into houses, may have not had the best of intentions to be quite frank but you cannot intercept someone especially when it looks hostile to the other and expect self defense - This is a great contrast of why one case is easily self-defense and the other case which is this one that we’re talking about is murder

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Verdict is in...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Guilty! Do not pass go. Do not collect $200

AleksandarN and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gregory McMichael:
    Count 1: Not Guilty
    Count 2: Guilty
    Count 3: Guilty
    Count 4: Guilty
    Count 5: Guilty
    Count 6: Guilty
    Count 7: Guilty
    Count 8: Guilty
    Count 9: Guilty

Travis McMichael:
    Count 1: Guilty
    Count 2: Guilty
    Count 6: Guilty

William Bryan:
    Count 1: Not guilty
    Count 2: Not guilty
    Count 6: Not Guilty

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

All three guilty on most charges. Another correct decision by the jurors.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

this case was so easy

only idiots and racists thought the McMichaels actually had a leg to stand on

they can enjoy their prison mystery meatloaf and canned beans

DVauthrin, rockbox, Lar and 4 others like this.