1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A LEO essentially abdicating his job and encouraging citizen vigilantes. It's dereliction of duty while putting people who he is sworn to protect and serve in harm's way. There might not be anything criminal in it but he should lose his job immediately and the department sued by both the Arbery family and the community.

CallMeTheDream, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As someone who has not been following this closely....

Wow, I didn't realize the chase lasted so long. That makes it worse. Did the video say 12 minutes??? If so, the drivers had 12 minutes to think about what they were going to do, and they still decided to shoot the guy. I had just assumed it all happened very fast.

Also, makes more sense as to why the runner fought back. He was probably too exhausted to keep running, and fighting back was the only option he had left.

Nook, RayRay10 and vlaurelio like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In the initial phase, I agree. The fact that it went so long without criminal charges speaks to a systemic problem within law enforcement. But much like the issue with the defense for George Zimmerman, the law shouldn't have allowed the instigator to bring the only deadly weapon into the altercation, use it, and get off on self defense.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually they did NOT shoot Arbery over the entirety of the first 12 minutes, despite multiple opportunities... suggesting that the ONLY reason they shot him was because he assaulted them and went to steal their gun. Without knowing it, you actually REINFORCED the self-defense argument with your comment. Had he not tried to wrestle the gun from McMichael, he would not have been shot. The citizens arrest for burglary could then have been accomplished in an orderly fashion.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should get a job on TV pretending to be a lawyer

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Depends if its a crime. How much water are we talking about?

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

God, you are ****ing idiot. They had no RIGHT to chase him. They had the CHOICE to call police to handle it if they thought he was a "suspect". There was no burglary.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually 911 had already been called.

dachuda86 likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Big... you're wasting your time. They will just scream racism and babble about this and that and ignore any argument that isn't calling this a modern day lynching. Don't feed this thread... or the race baiters... it's a waste of time.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Then all had to do is follow and wait for Police. The guy was jogging on the street.

11. bigtexxx

You might want to wait for the facts to come out before making up your mind in this case. The fact that you didn't even know 911 had been called indicates to me you're simply reacting out of knee-jerk racial stereotypes, which is not helpful.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Bro, they don't know the details. And when you tell them the details they ignore them. You are fighting a lost cause in this thread. TDS is real and is making them angry at every thing. They come here to take out their frustrations.

13. bigtexxx

One of the things that motivates me is the ability to help others. By helping others think critically and gather all the facts, I'm really giving them something of value and a life lesson. Go back and read the Trayvon Martin thread from several years ago. I was completely vindicated in that, and my hope is that many who rushed to judgment will recognize their error, and they will become a better thinker.

Nook likes this.
  14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

In other words your weak contrarian position is unattainable.

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Let’s talk about the 911 calls shall we.

#1175 AleksandarN, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What details again? Enlighten us.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was wondering why English was so outfront on this and I think we know why.

There is going to be a lot of finger pointing going on.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bigtexxx the type of guy to do this too so he can relate
    Deeply disturbing’: Sister of alleged killer of Ahmaud Arbery shared Snapchat of black jogger’s dead body
    Gino Spocchia
    The IndependentMay 19, 2020, 7:49 AM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Gregory McMichael, left, and his son Travis McMichael, right, arrested for alleged murder of a young black man: AP

The sister of Travis McMichael, who is alleged to have murdered Ahmaud Arbery, has admitted that she posted a disturbing image of the 25-year-old’s dead body on Snapchat because she is a "true crime fan".

Lindsay McMichael, the sister and daughter of suspects Travis and Gregory McMichael, added that her post was not “malicious”, in comments made to The Sun.

“The thing is I’m a huge fan of true crime – I listen to four or five podcasts a week – I’m constantly watching that sort of thing,” said the 30-year-old. “It was more of a, ‘Holy s**t, I can’t believe this has happened”.

She added: "It was absolutely poor judgement."

The admission comes as images, said to be those Ms McMichael posted on Snapchat the day Mr Arbery was shot dead, circulated amongst locals in Brunswick, Georgia.

The image showed the young black man’s body on the ground, soaked in blood.

Lee Merrit, an attorney representing the Arbery family, commented that both the McMichaels’ actions and the Snapchat post were “disturbing”.

"First you have [Gregory] McMichael sharing with a news station a video of the murder then you have his daughter sharing an image of Ahmaud's bullet-ridden body on Snapchat,” said Mr Merrit. “It's deeply disturbing behavior."

"It also highlights that there are probably more video and more images of before, during and after Ahmaud's murder - these images aren't meant for public consumption in this way,” the attorney added.

Video showing police attempting to taser Mr Arbery in 2017 was published on Monday after The Guardian obtained the recording via public records request.

His family’s lawyers told the paper that Glynn County police had “harassed” the young black man, and that “this appears to be just a glimpse into the kind of scrutiny Ahmaud Arbery faced not only by this police department, but ultimately regular citizens like the McMichaels and their posse, pretending to be police officers.”

That comes as an attorney representing the 64 and 34-year old suspects, who were arrested on 7 May, said that additional video of the February 23 shooting could exonerate the father and son.

“There are a number of photographs, there are a number of records,” attorneys Franklin and Laura Hogue said last Friday.

“All of those will have to be assimilated, and importantly, time-lined, so that every single second, our hope is, will put together the truth of what happened on the 23rd [of February].”

Ms McMichael told The Sun last week that she did not believe her brother and father had murdered Mr Arbery, and said: “I will until the day that I die believe that he had no intention of malice like that."

Video showing the young black man’s murder caused widespread outrage when it was posted online earlier this month.

The McMichaels’ were then arrested almost two months after the shooting, whilst many criticised Glynn County police inaction.

Fulgore and FrontRunner like this.
  19. PeppermintCandy

"A huge fan of true crime."

I mean seriously, what the f**k is wrong with this family...

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Arbery was fleeing the scene (not jogging) of a potential felonious breaking and entering, burglary, trespassing... and with his priors on firearm violations and theft, you have to assume he's armed and dangerous. McMichael did not have time to wait for the police, which is why they attempted to peacefully detain him. McMichael did not shoot until he was attacked. Everything was peaceful until Arbery rushed McMichael, assaulted him, and attempted to wrestle his gun away from him. That will get you shot 10 times of out of 10.

If a home in my area is burglarized, and the burglar is fleeing the scene, then I'd be grateful for someone like McMichael to try to safeguard the area. What if Arbery busts into your house looking for refuge? Then what? That's a SHTF scenario that I'd rather not have to deal with.