1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Lulz, if you owned that house that was under construction, you wouldn't think that he was "minding his own business." The idea that he was "just a jogger" has been dismissed already. That was never a serious point to begin with. And Arbery was in fact the aggressor when he literally assaulted an armed man (never smart).

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Again, if he stole $1,000 worth of construction equipment and jogged around with it for two miles, is that really worth killing the man over in a citizen's arrest? You think that's a justifiable punishment?

I mean we had a white dude that got off on affluenza charge and actually killed someone. This guy didn't even steal anything and got his life taken from him. Such backwards interpretations of the law.

JayGoogle, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If I saw surveillance footage of a man who walked in and out of a construction site I owned without taking anything, I probably wouldn't give two *****. If they took something valuable, I would call law enforcement.

DonnyMost and London'sBurning like this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He had work out clothes and no apparent gear for burglary. If he was curious and wanted a closer look at some construction that shouldn't be a big deal. There's no evidence that he had devious intentions.

RayRay10 and London'sBurning like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...let's go with what we know...

Arbery was blocked by a truck with a couple of men with guns.
    Prior to the shooting he was jogging as can be seen in the snippet of video. Whether or not that was what he was truly doing is up for speculation.
    Prior to the shooting the guys called 911 and said there was a black man running down the street, claimed he had been at a house under construction and said that he had previously been caught on camera. We do know that there was a black man running down the street, it does appear he is in the "daylight" video at the house under construction that day. The "night" video is less conclusive.
    Arbery was jogging towards the truck, made a left turn around the front of the truck and eventually grabbed the gun and was eventually shot. We don't know what was said. We don't know how we would have reacted.

So...now let's speculate to see if this is in any way justified behavior from the guys with the guns. First let's go with a totally innocent situation.

Arbery went on a jog. Ended up in a neighborhood 2 or so miles from his house. Stopped to look around in a house under construction. Hung around for a few minutes. Headed home. I think we would all agree he did not deserve to be confronted with guns.

Now the less innocent situation...

Arbery woke up with the intent of robbing a house under construction or simply "casing" it, because, my personal opinion, it would be hard to plan a robbery and travel a couple of miles on foot to actually steal stuff in the early afternoon.

He took on a "jogging" persona as he could easily explain why he was in the neighborhood. He walked, jogged or ran to the house. Went inside for a few minutes. Saw there was nothing worth taking (or saw that there was and decided to come back at a later time prepared for what to take). Headed home. Keep in mind that the guys with guns know nothing factual except for the fact that he probably was in the house and was running/jogging down the street in broad daylight. The guys initially made a correct decision to call 911.

Now...even in this "less innocent" situation, did he deserve to be confronted with guns by a couple of citizens? Would have been simple for the guys with guns to have completed the 911 call and followed him without blocking and confronting him.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This has to be in the top ten of ironically funny posts. Unintentional comedy at its finest.

Only thing missing is reference to a contextual clue.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Seriously, if I was going to steal something, I'd do it with a vehicle that way I could take as much stuff as my vehicle could fit. I could also drive and maneuver around much faster without drawing nearly as much suspicion as jogging for two miles with stolen equipment I could only fit in workout short pockets. What is he gonna do? Steal a socket wrench?

Not saying there aren't stupid criminals out there, but the argument that he stole something from a construction site (which he didn't even steal anything) while in jogging shorts just seems asinine to me. If I was to steal something, I'd dress like a construction crew member and I'd have a get away car with a lot of storage capacity so I could steal more **** than what I could fit in some shallow pockets. I'd get friends in on it to help with loading and unloading faster and have a lookout. I'd also do surveillance for cameras and security equipment and would cut off power to them. There are simply better ways to go around stealing stuff than being a jogger.

Like, again if I was a criminal, I wouldn't steal from my own neighborhood. My neighbors recognize my face already and know where my get away is, which would be my home. Where would I store that stolen equipment then? I could never use it in my backyard for instance. Neighbor's would see that ****. It literally makes no sense the defense for these murderers to do that what they did.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  8. bobrek

I wish I had known at 25 that I wasn't supposed to jog. I played league flag football, basketball and softball. Strangely, I also jogged. Never knew I shouldn't be doing that. Weird.

9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Do yall think I can to stake out outside of a Thai massage parlor with shotguns and hold the exiting patrons at gunpoint? I didn't see them commit any crimes but these massage parlors are all fronts for prostitution anyways right? I hope they don't try to fight back or I might just get scared for my life.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

11. conquistador#11

Didn't we have something similar without a gun in the Denny's case. The same usual suspects came sided with the Denny's strangler. Strangler gets 25 in prison, wife walks. Something similar will happen here, where the man who shot the gun(the son) will get prison time. The guy who filmed it will change his story and say he leaked it not to clear them but because it was wrong shooting him. He'll walk free. The Father of the shooter will also be free and invited to go on stage at a 'rally'. Y'all know what kind of rallies I'm talking about.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  12. bobrek

Heck...i occasionally stop in port a cans at homes being remodeled or constructed when I am walking back from the beach. Even at night. I guess I need to start being worried. Oh wait..i don't.. I'm white

Ottomaton, Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  13. marky :)

marky :) Member

Lol I've walked into almost every house on my street while it was under construction wondering what layouts they had. Thought it was a perk for being one of the firsts houses completed on the street, guess it's only a perk if you aren't black. Also they leave nothing behind except maybe some building materials but most of the tools they take with them as they leave the work site. So what is there to steal unless you want to steal a cement mixer.

Also did this throughout my neighborhood as it was being built in basketball shorts and a tshirt.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

AMEN it's fight or flight at that point and he couldn't run so at that point you defend yourself.

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  15. edwardc

edwardc Member

How do you come up with your logic how was he the aggressor they followed him passed him and stopped and waited you can't be serious.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know why y'all continue to engage T_J. He emerges from hibernation every few years to play his greatest hits including "looking for any reason whatsoever to take a contrarian opinion." You'll never know his true beliefs on any subject because he is playing a troll character and an essential part of that character is its unwillingness to cede on any topic.

superfob, joshuaao, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None of that matters. Even if Arbery stole something from the construction site - even if he was a career criminal, what the McMichaels did was illegal.

Whatever perspective or judgement people pass is fine, but what matters at the end of the day is the law. And boths sides of this debate seem to struggle with that concept.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

But that's exactly the issue if you're the unarmed man who was killed. There should've been no 'self-defense' here. The dude is dead bc he fought these dudes...hell, yep,sure you're right, it completely was his "right", but he's dead now...and the only ones talking about legal culpability are everyone else that are alive. If some gangbangers rolled up on me asking for my wallet while I was walking down the street, I'm not thinking about 'my rights' in that moment, I'm thinking how I'm going to get out of this alive. Give them the wallet...don't try to disarm them.
    You wait for the cops and you live if you're aubrey...hell sue them in civil court afterwards. That's why I say "Normal" response...sorry but I don't think someone is thinking about legal culpability in that moment man.

It seems like these guys may have a chance to get off from this...I think they should be charged with manslaughter, minimum, but with their history, it's possible that they get off. The father was involved with charging him with gun possession in the past during a HS basketball game and shoplifting or something after that as well. And then with the father also having his truck broken into the month before. Dude's pissed that he was burglarized while seeing this guy you know is a criminal just recently started jogging in your neighborhood? I dunno man, that doesn't sound like a racist, inbred, redneck going after a dude bc he was #joggingwhileblack , he sounds like he genuinely thought this guy was robbing his neighborhood, they confront him, he tries to wrestle away the son's rifle and gets shot...I think a juror may see it this way as well. But who knows, it is Georgia.

AroundTheWorld, J.R. and JumpMan like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unless Aubry has a history of being mistreated and mistrusted by the police, and one of the assailants mentioned that he was a cop or former cop. He might have had less reason to trust that waiting for the cops would result in any positive result for him.

Also, apparently it was the jogger's neighborhood too. Why didn't the person just call the cops?

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That's true, the father did previously help convict Aubry and they both probably knew that. It probably escalated the situation...hell Aubry may have been pissed to see the father after he helped convict him. Would you still try to wrestle the rifle away from the son?
    Really, I thought everyone says this neighborhood was a few miles from his?

RayRay10 likes this.